Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Fly into Lyon or Nice, train to Avignon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Nutella

I'm evaluating all my options to get to Avignon by train. There's a flight to CDG, then TGV train to Avignon (but I'm not crazy about the layover in Philly). Also a small chance of a flight to Marseille (via another Euro airport), which I think would be the best choice. What I'm wondering about is Lyon or Nice. Would anyone recommend flying to either of these cities, getting from the airport to the train station, and then on to Avignon? From a distance, ease and time perspective. Thanks!

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 12:16 PM
Arlene

Wll, I guess we are on the same wavelength!! In May, we flew into Nice, spent one week there and flew home from Marseille (very close to Aix). The next time, I was thinking of flying into Marseille, taking a bus to Avignon, then a taxi to the hotel. After one week in Avignon, taking the train or bus to Lyon, spending one week there and then flying home from there. What do you think? Marseille is the closest airport to Provence.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 10:06 AM
Nutella

Hi Arlene, I've been doing some more research and it doesn't look like I have too many options if I want to use my FF miles. I'll fly into CDG and take the TGV down to Avignon. I wouldnt mind saving my miles for another time and paying now for a better flight, but I'm finding fares of $865 and up!<BR>By the way, when are you planning to go?

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 01:21 PM
Arlene

Hi! Actually we were there in May, so another trip won't be until next year...either May again or the end of Sept..into Oct. When are you planning to go? <BR><BR>Can anyone tell me whether the weather is better in May or end of Sept,beginning of October? Thanks

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 01:23 PM
Arlene

P.S. We were very lucky with flights. We took a charter from Canada..Air transat...low fares...direct flights..but I think the fares are higher in the summer.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 01:40 PM
TGV

TGV from CDG to Avignon is the simplest way. Just bear in mind that on the return, you will have to take the TGV from Avignon to CDG the night before if your flight out leaves before noon. Of course, if you are planning to spend time in Paris anyway before flying back home, that does not matter.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 05:38 PM
Sue

Nutella, I'm enjoying your posts and the responses, as I want to do the same trip you are doing, without a car! I was just in Paris in May, and also last October, so won't be going to Provence probably until next May. Unless I can manage it this October (also with frequent flyer miles). The weather was great in Paris both those months when I went - warmer in May, but not cold in October either. <BR><BR>I have also been trying to decide where to fly into - I agree with you, Paris and the TGV are probably best. I hate to get on the train after that long flight, tho, for another few hours. I HOPE you will post a detailed trip report after you return!

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 06:18 PM
Christina

I've done several of those variations, I guess - flights to Nice and Marseille, as well as the train. If your destination is Avignon, I would not fly into Nice, it's a lot farther away than Marseille. The train is not high-speed along that section. Avignon isn't that far from Marseille, though, and that's a good flight destination from my experience. Perhaps things are different from where you are flying, but for me, flights to Marseille were as cheap or cheaper than Nice. Lyon would be better than Nice, also, it's a short trip straight down from there to Avignon. Last time I just flew into Marseille because it was not more expensive than the TGV and a lot easier and quicker. My bags were automatically transferred so I didn't have to deal with them at all until I got to Marseille, and I just got a connecting flight at the same airport I arrived at (CDG), so just took a short shuttle trip around to the other terminal with no bags. I don't think it would be as convenient if you had to change airports (CDG to Orly). Dealing with getting bags and getting on the TGV after a long overnight flight was not something I wanted to do, and I was alone so had to do everything myself and maintain energy--which included then renting a car and getting to my hotel from Marseille. Flights are quicker, too, so I got there earlier than if I'd taken the train, also. That might not have been so crucial if you are staying right near the train station (ie, in Avignon) and can just take a taxi from the station to your hotel rather than renting a car and driving elsewhere.<BR><BR>Another advantage of flying is that if something happens and your bags get delayed or lost (as mine did), it's easy for the airline to get them to you if you are near your final flight destination. If your bags were delayed or mislaid in Paris and you had a train ticket to go to Provence that same day, I'm not sure how that would work out. I've just never had that happen, so I don't know where an airline is required to deliver bags to.<BR><BR>Nice is pretty far from Avignon by train in comparison to Lyon or Marseille. With that choice, you might as well take it from Paris IMO, there would be no reason to go to Nice as the train takes only a little longer from Paris to Avignon than from Nice to Avignon. Actually, now that I think of it, if you are going to be taking a train rather than renting a car or staying where your flight lands, you might as well do it in Paris, I suppose. If you can get a flight just as cheaply to Lyon or Marseille as Paris, then there'd be a reason. There would also be a reason if you can get a nonstop to one of those southern cities, I just figured you wouldn't. If your best choice is a flight to Marseille through a city other than Paris, that sounds fine to me.<BR><BR>Your return trip is a different issue, you don't have to return from the same city you fly into, I often don't.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 07:48 PM
Arlene

I noticed, in Aix, that there were buses that routinely left from the Gare Routier to the Marseille airport. But that is approximately 20 minutes away. I wonder whether or not there are buses that go to and from Marseille (Marignon) and Avignon. Does anyone know?<BR><BR>By the way, that was a very good point re changing airports in Paris. That may be a hastle..although I know that it is often done in London.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 08:58 AM
Louise

We will be doing this route in Sept and have decided to fly into CDG, spend a few days in Paris and then TGV to Orange. We will be going cycling for 8 days then end up in Avignon where we intend to spend on night before catching the TGV to CDG. Our flight leaves around 1.30pm so I think this should be ok.<BR> <BR>Does anyone know where the TGV station is in Avignon? I've located the SNCF station and am trying to work out if you have to take a connection from there or if we should go the the TGV station.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 02:09 PM
Nutella

Merci, Cristina, for your info, very helpful! And everyone else. Sue and Arlene, maybe I'll see you there next May! This October's trip is being dictated by my FF miles, so I might stick with Italy only and concentrate on Provence and the Cote d'Azur in the spring. And maybe by then my French will have improved enough so I won't go hungry there : )