Fly & Drive Itinerary Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're a couple in our 40's heading to Ireland for a six day fly & drive starting 20 Apr. We fly in and out of Shannon and our package includes B&B vouchers through the Town and Country network along with a Dan Dooley rental car. We intend to stay west of a line between Waterford and Westport. We were briefly in Dublin last year and decided to focus on the other side of Ireland this trip.

Here's a brief listing of our preferences if this would help any of you give advice
- enjoy seascapes
- enjoy castles and old homes but not ruins
- enjoy long walks but not hikes and forced marches! Wife's input...if you can't hold hands, it's a forced march
- would prefer B&Bs in towns/villages, not cities, where we can walk to dinner, sights, and pubs
- I'll most likely book all B&Bs in the next couple weeks...I'm not very spontaneous!
- nice dinners...a little pub food goes a long way with us
- we are observers of night life but not participants

First thoughts on our itinerary
- Day 1...arrive SNN, head to Cliffs of Moher and RON in vicinity (but not Doolin we've heard). Any suggestions on places to stay and eat that night?
- Day 2...should we do the Aran Islands? If so, which one and where do you suggest we catch the ferry? Thoughts on RON out there vs heading back to mainland? Any suggestions on places to stay and eat that night?
- Day 3...thru Galway to Connemara. Thoughts on sights and RON location? We've heard good things about Clifden but not fixed on it. Any suggestions on places to stay and eat that night?
- Day 4...big driving day. Go thru The Burren and stay along the coast on N67. Take the ferry across the Mouth of the Shannon (from Killimer to Tarbert). Any thoughts on the ferry? Head towards the Dingle Peninsula or Ring of Kerry. Your thoughts if I were to do only one (Dingle or RoK). Stay in Tralee or Dingle or ??? Any suggestions on places to stay and eat that night?
- Day 5...looking for your thoughts on sights to see in Southwest. We need to end the day near Waterford. I know, it's about a three hour drive from Dingle to Waterford but this is an important stop for us. RON in vicinity of Waterford and their factory tour. Any suggestions on places to stay and eat that night?
Day 6...Waterford and migrate back to vicinity of SNN. Any suggestions on places to stay and eat that night?

LAST QUESTION...is there a forum that talks to recommendations for the B&Bs in the Town and Country network ?

Hope you can help and many thanks in advance

Old Feb 5th, 2006, 03:00 PM
CU

For you arrival in Shannon www.shannonregiontourism.ie will answer all your questions
For the aran Islands
www.doolinferries.com
for pubs:
www.irishmusicbars.com
For Galway:
www.irelandwest.ie
For the ferry:
www.shannonferries.com the ferry is sound and you will find a helpful map on this website to suit your journey.
For Waterford:
www.southeastireland.com
Enjoy and a safe journey to you all.
Go n-eiri an bothar libh.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 03:03 PM
CU

I should have mentioned that Town and Country B & B are very good. www.townandcountry.ie
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 09:29 AM

Simon,

what a great time you're going to have! Ireland is the best place in the world--not that I am enthisiastic at all about it.

Here's my two cents worth.

First, you're back-tracking a little by going to County Clare (cliffs and aran isles), then to Connemara, then back to County Clare. Instead, go to Connemara first, then consider getting to County Clare via the Aran Isles (you were considering staying a night there anyway). You'll need to check on the websites CU gave you to make sure you can take the ferry from Connemara to Aran Isles and then take the ferry over to Doolin.

As to places to stay in Connemara, we stayed in Clifden and loved it. Our B&B was great--Seamist house, very short walk to the pubs and town center. Here's a link: http://www.connemara.net/seamist/

As for Dingle versus ROK, I'd stay in Dingle Town (not Tralee). Then you can do a day trip to Killarney National Park, and even drive a little way down the east part of the ROK, perhaps to Sneem and back. We stayed one night in the Greenmount House and it was fine (more like a hotel than a B&B), but I'd get some other suggestions--if we go back to Dingle, we'll try somewhere else.

Between Dingle and Waterford, from everything I've heard, I'd try to make a stop at the Rock of Cashel, even if it's a little bit of a side-track.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 09:51 AM

Def stay at least 2 days in Dingle.
Regards
Ger
http://www.dingle-region.com
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 08:16 PM

Why not head up to Galway the first day, THEN stop in Clare for a night enroute to Dingle, via the ferry? Otherwise, you're crossing and re-crossing the same terrain.
If it is EITHER Dingle OR ROK, I vote for Dingle - it packs as much or more "punch" into a shorter drive AND the really scenic part, Slea Head, SHOULD be without all the Big, Nasty Tour Busses that can so clog the ROK. Of course, in April even the ROK shouldn't have TOO heavily a traffic, but the ROK is a FULL day drive in its own right, whereas you can drive Slea Head in less than half that.
Also, stay in Dingle Town, it meets your general outline far better than Tralee.
Bob
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

To all...many thks for responding to my too long post

ONE QUESTION...I have no sense for driving times in Ireland. We fly into Shannon at 0810. I want our arrival day to be a reasonable drive with lots of walking opportunities...hence Clifden and the Cliffs, etc. How long (in time, not miles) is the drive to County Clare vs going to the Connemara as you suggest. Your route makes sense but I have no concept for the time involved in any of these drives.

Beach Dweller...good suggestion on Sea Mist. Looks great and trying to contact them

CU...appreciate the links. All new to me

All others...I'm sold. Two days on Dingle it is
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 06:28 PM

www.aaroadwatch.ie
Go to ROUTEPLANNING and plug in your route. It will give you step-by-step directions and a GUIDELINE timeframe. The time listed WILL be too short though. Figure to realistically average about 35 miles per hour (Ex: total distance of 140 Miles = 4 hours DRIVING time -- Your mileage may vary, dependant upon "WOW" factor of scenery / your ability to avoid stopping for Photos and 'Rubbernecking'.

Bob
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 01:13 PM

Drive time for us getting from Clifden to Shannon was about 2.5 to 3 hours, not hurrying. This was last August (that was pure drive time, not including a stop in Galway City, lunch in Ennis). So Clifden is easily doable from Shannon for your first day.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 11:06 AM

We really enjoyed the Connemare area. We stayed in Clifden at the Quays Inn(Karen Browns hidden Ireland) which was an easy walk to town. Sky drive is a beautiful drive and Kylemore Abbey and gardens should not be missed. We also took a day trip from there-drove to Rossveal and took the ferry over to the aran islands. We enjoyed it out there and it is the shortest ferry route to the Arans only 40 min. We rented suspension bikes and rode all over. You can also hire a jaunting cab.

I'm not a fan of the ROK tohyped up and overidden with tourists and buses. While in Ireland we loved SHeeps Head and Mizen Head Pens. They are a bit off the beaten path but worth it. We also enjoyed The Bearra Pen and DIngle Pen.

Definitely stay in Dingle we enjoyed Emlaugh Lodge a short walk to down and right on the water.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 11:51 AM

We did this trip a year ago September and it was great. What we did was we bought vouchers for b&b's and you don't have to plan ahead. This way if you want to stay somewhere an extra day you can. We loved every place we stayed. The hosts were so nice and we met interesting people staying at each place. When we started we thought we had an idea of what we were going to do each day but then we would talk to the other guests or the b&b owners and they would mention somewhere we should see so we ended up changing our plans. This is the person who helped up with everything and he was wonderful. Christopher Woolson
EnchantingIreland.com