Florence to Val D'Orcia - routes and places to stay/see advice needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2019, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I have just a few days to spend in Florence and Val D'Orcia. Arrive FCO in Rome and will Immediately train up to Florence arriving late. I'm Spending 2 additional nights in Florence/Galluzo. I've got friends on the ground there so searching more for advice on the Val D'Orcia side. Looking for advice on places to stay en route to/in/near Val D'Orcia for a single night on a Sunday. I'll be staying at one of the smaller La Foce Properties on a Monday and Tuesday and then driving back to Rome Airport.

Questions are
1. Your favorite places to stay between Florence and Villa La Foce?
2. Favorite towns and sites along/near the route.
3. Best route to take between Florence and Villa La Foce?
4. Best route by car from Villa La Foce to Rome

- note: I haven't driven in Europe in YEARS, but I have strong faith and intentions, AutoEurope as a contact in my phone, an automatic and GPS so I am hopeful to arrive unscathed and in time for my flight Wednesday at 4pm. (car return in terminal by 1:30pm) How much time do I need to leave for driving and car return?

Also: does any of the above recommendations change if it rains? It's a September journey...

Many thanks, Sandra
Old Sep 17th, 2019, 08:51 PM

Jeeze. Do you get to actually rest & enjoy any destinations???

We love the Val d'Orcia. Attached are answers to most of your questions. Just "skip" to the Tuscany section

Stu Dudley
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Italy-revised.doc (168.0 KB, 126 views)
Old Sep 17th, 2019, 09:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would drive SR222 (aka Via Chiantigiana) from Florence through Chianti to Siena and then take whatever road gets you to your destination. Without any stops, this could easily take 4 hours (to Val d'Orcia), but I assume you'd want to explore Siena or other towns, have lunch somewhere, etc.

Frankly, with only one night before La Foce, I don't think it matters all that much where you stay. From La Foce, you could easily return to the Val d'Orcia towns.

Since you don't have all day to get from La Foce to FCO, I'd start early, set the GPS to avoid highways and not make any stops. It would probably take about 4 hours. If you'd rather drive the autostrada, it would take at least 2.5 hours.

If your last experience driving in Italy was before the advent of ZTLs, you'd better read up on them.

https://www.italybeyondtheobvious.co...with-ztl-zones
Old Sep 18th, 2019, 02:53 PM

Pienza is a good spot, easy to get into and out of, but it's so near to La Foce that it's hardly worth adding as another destination. Maybe you should just add another night in La Foce and visit Pienza from there, as Jean suggests.

Another possibile destination is Montalcino, which I like very much.
Old Sep 18th, 2019, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Stu, this is an amazing resource! I'm afraid this trip is far to quick but if I didn't do it with these particular parameters, I wouldn't get to go at all.
I'm no stranger to the love of slow travel...I once went to Prague and it took me about 7 and a half years to leave...
Thanks again for helping!
Old Sep 18th, 2019, 05:44 PM

Depends on your interests.

I was there in July, spent 5 nights in Pienza and day tripped. It was the heat wave, so over 100 degrees. Only the last night it rained like crazy.

My main interest was photography so drove to Montalcino and Montepulciano of course but spent a lot of time in the rolling pastures south of Pienza and Montalcino.

IIRC, Pienza to Florence was no more than 2 hours on the Autostrada so probably not worth staying somewhere in between for just one night. Better to extend the night at the other accommodation and then drive to nearby towns if desired.

I spent 3 nights between Florence and Pienza in Siena but I don't think one night there would be worth it.
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 12:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd stop in San Quirico or Buonconvento which are just a bit less touristy than many mentioned above, not that I don't like them, they just offer a smaller simpler view of life.