Florence to Siena advice...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be traveling by train from Nice to Florence, arriving in the late afternoon, and have 3 nights to share between Florence and Siena. A good friend recommended we stay in Siena at Hotel Relais Borgo San Felice, so we thought we might stay the 1st night in Florence, head to Siena for 2 nights to stay at this hotel, then leave for Venice. I'm questioning logistically what route to take. We are a family of 4 and want to see as much as we can with as little hassle as possible. Any thoughts on routing, or suggestions on how many nights for each? Thanks much for your help!
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 10:40 AM

I personally think the breakup of nights is good because I prefer Siena to Florence but some will say to do the opposite. We drove between the two towns, stopped at the American cemetary (I highly recommend it)just outside Florence and in Greve in Chianti and it was a gorgeous drive. We took the scenic route vs. the Autostrada. By Autostrada I think it's less than 2 hours but we took most of the day with our stops.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 10:58 AM
rex

The consensus I hear most often here is take the bus from Florence to Siena, though I have never done it. Driving is daunting (because of parking and access to the actual town ("up the hill&quot, I can tell you that.

And the train does not take you up the hill.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 11:01 AM
ira

Hi

>We are a family of 4 and want to see as much as we can with as little hassle as possible.<

I suggest that you stay in Florence and take the SITA bus to Siena for a day.

OR

Continue on to Siena and do a day trip to Florence.

It is easier to get to Venice from Florence than from Siena.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 11:25 AM

I agree with Ira. With only 3 nights it's better to stay in one place.
Stay in Florence and take the SITA bus to Siena.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Awesome information! It's so difficult when you want to see it all and just don't have the time!! Everyone has made some really valid points that will help with my decision!
I was wondering if maybe Siena would be a little too sedate for 3 nights for our teenage daughters, even though they are really interested in art and history, so basing in Florence might not be a bad idea, and doing a day trip to Siena. Are you able to see enough points of interest in Siena via bus? We don't want to deal with a car.
Thanks again!!
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 12:58 PM

I think your kids will like Siena-the Campo is teeming with teenagers at night. Also the stores are open late and there were alot of "hip" teen type clothing stores.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 01:08 PM

And, Borgo San Felice is in a remote location at least :30 from Siena. Very nice place, but hardly Siena.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 01:44 PM
rex

The SITA bus is not a "tour bus", so what you see is up to you. It's simply your transportation there (and back, at the hour of your choosing) - - like a Greyhound bus.

Old Mar 10th, 2004, 02:34 PM

Since you asked logistically what route to take, try going to Siena first then Florence. Teenagers usually like Siena,it's a college town. Don't stay at Hotel Relais Borgo San Felice if you don't want a car, stay in Siena.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 02:52 PM

I would save Siena for another trip. You have 3 nights but really only 2 days and there is so much to see in Florence you won't scratch the surface. If the teens like art and history it will seem like Disneyland in Florence. Half a day on bus with scenery probably won't thrill them.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 06:03 PM

There are so many tempting places in Italy to visit. While Siena is well worth a visit at some time, you have to be careful not to schedule TOO much in one trip! I would recommend you look through some guide books and make a list of "must-sees" in both cities and use that to help you decide what to do.

If you are sure you want to include Siena, I would vote for 2 nights in Florence and 1 in Siena OR 3 nights in Florence with a day trip to Siena.

We took the bus from Florence to Siena during September. Leaving Florence at about 10 AM (to avoid rush hour), the trip took 1 1/2 hours. There was bumper to bumper traffic as we left Florence and as we got closer to Siena. The bus leaves you off in a more convenient place than the train does.

If you decide to take the bus, I would advise trying to make advance reservations for tickets...even if it is only by a day or a few hours. It is a very popular route. Two buses left at the same time and every seat was taken.

I think the major sights in Siena can be seen in one day. In Florence, there is so much more. Be sure to enjoy the streets at night when all the "day tour" buses have left.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 04:20 AM

One more point, to help you decide what to do, you may want to estimate how many hours total you will be spending on buses and trains during your entire trip. This might have an impact on your decision.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 05:34 AM
JonJon

"The bus leaves you off in a more conveneint place than the train does"...the railway station is at the bottm of a hill below the main part of the old town. You can get a taxi or a local bus UP that hill for very little money. Personally, I find the train trip more relaxing as you can get up and move around more and it goes through the countryside off the main road and takes about the same amount of time as does the bus and there is NO traffic to slow it down...up to you but don't be deterred about the implied "inconvenience" of the rail station.

Old Mar 11th, 2004, 05:37 AM

I've taken the Florence-Siena SITA bus. Don't remember much traffic at all, but I do remember the driver was speeding the whole way and it kind of freaked me out. Of course, all Italians on the bus were either chatting on their phones or sound asleep.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your comments. Looks
like we might be better off basing in Florence and taking a side trip to the
Siena area....many good points were made about travel time and if we stay in Florence, at least we will have options to go or not to go. Thanks again for all your input!!

Old Mar 11th, 2004, 05:51 AM
ira

Hi Cliq,

Enjoy your stay.

This link may be useful to you

Helpful Information: Italy http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34443340
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Ira, you are AWESOME!! It is so kind
of you to share your WEALTH of information! Can't wait to get the time to read through it all! Thanks again, and have a wonderful day!!
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 08:52 PM

You've heard it all in previous posts from several others, but I just wanted to add my two cents worth. We've been to Florence twice (both times for 5 full days during a month of travel), and are looking forward to a third visit this fall. Your kids will be run off their little tired feet if they love art. Last time we were gazing at Michelangelo's David (in the not to be missed Accademia), we got to listen to a teacher telling a group of American high school students all the wonderful details of that amazing work of art. That's what keeps us returning for more. We adore Siena, but you really can see it in one day. We last spent two nights there, and left the second morning after seeing it all, and drove south to several hill towns. Frankly, if you only have 3 days, why waste anytime outside of Florence. You will still just barely scratch the surface there.
Do try to squeeze a walk over the Ponte Vecchio, and up to the Pitti Palace, Brunelleschi's 1458 huge palace complex, which the Medici's later lived in during their long reign. Way too big to see it all (8 separate museums), but don't miss wandering through the wonderful neighbourhood leading up to the palace - signs everywhere to the Pitti. Then you must visit the Galleria Pallatina there (rarely mentioned in these threads, but considered by art experts to be the 2nd best museum in Florence, after the Ufizzi. It is filled with 15th -17th century masterpieces in rooms just as the Medici left them. Then you can relax in the Boboli Gardens outside, and have a picnic (bring it along from a shop as the prices up there are astronomical), while looking down at the famous view of Florence, with the Duomo and Bargello rising above the rooftops. Make sure to be at the door when the museums open - generally at 9 - then as the crowds arrive later on you can get lost in the narrow streets of Florence. Every building is a piece of art, just do mind the annoying motor scooters! Other than that, it is a gem not to be missed. Do book your visit to the Ufizzi, or you may be disappointed - well worth the small fee, as you have such little time. You will want to also walk through Santa Croce church, the equivalent of England's Westminister Abbey , with many of Italy's famous citizens' buried all around. The Bargello is great, but it's sculpture, which your kids might not like as well.
Save Siena for another time when you can spend several days wandering - preferably by car - between Florence and Rome. Trust me, you will return.
Course our favorite is Lucca, but don't tell anyone.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 03:59 AM
ira

Thank you cliquot. Glad it helped.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -