Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Florence to Pisa and return by car...What's the best route?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 09:07 AM
Scott McDonald

I posted a similar message a few days ago, but it seems to have vanished! <BR> <BR>Later this month, my family will be visiting Florence and we have arranged a rental car to drive to Pisa and back on one of the days. Any routing suggestions you could make that would take us through the most scenic places would be most welcome. Also, any tips on parking the car in Pisa would also be helpful. <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance! <BR> <BR>Scott and Family

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 09:29 AM
Gail

Vinci and Lucca were my suggestions though I have been to neither. I recently drove the main road from Pisa to Florence and nothing looked special. <BR> <BR>I also suggested getting a good map of Pisa if you want to see the leaning tower as we spent so much time trying to find it. There is a parking lot across the street on the baptistry side. You'll need to walk through all the copious tacky souvenir stalls before you get into the old city wall and see the duomo, baptistry and tower.

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 02:02 PM
BillJ

If you want my vote, buy a postcard, forget Pisa, use the car to drive to Siena, San Gimignano, and the many little villages up in the hills. Yes Lucca gets good reviews but I haven't been there. The drive on the autostrada is uninspiring, and like the poster above, we had an exciting time finding the tower once we were in Pisa. A lot of t-shirt and miniatures of the tower are available in the hundreds of vendors set up to take your $'s. I found the tower oh-um. Not very tall, and yep it's leaning all right. We regretted we hadn't spent the time in the Siena hills. Any way, that's my vote. Florence is great, you'll love it. Have Fun!

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 03:57 PM
Walter

BillJ: If you only go to Pisa to see a tower that is leaning, that is sound advice. But if you go to Pisa for the history, including the Tower, Duomo, Baptistery and the surrounding area and forget about the tourist vendors you'll see *alot* more. That's my vote). Regards, Walter <BR>

Old Aug 5th, 2000, 05:08 AM
BillJ

You are correct, Walter. Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Old Aug 6th, 2000, 09:31 AM
steve

scott, <BR> <BR>Lucca is a great little walled city. I would definitely stop there, especially if your taking the super highway from Florence to Pisa. There's alot to do and see in the walls, whether you have 3, 4 or 5 hours. There's a few really nice old churches. A treed tower with an excellent view of the city and some nice scenery in the distance. Walk along the top off the ramparts. Also a few charming squares and most of the city is off limits to cars.