Florence to moltepluciano

Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Florence to moltepluciano

would like to know how to get from florence to moltipliciano.
We jeard its worth a visit....we would like to know others experiences there as well
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 08:32 PM

I took the train to Chiusi and then from the station a bus to Montepulciano, going via Chianciano Terme, one of Italy's poshest spa towns. A great bus ride and Montepulciano was terrific. Easy to do by public transporation.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 07:02 AM
ira

Hi M,

Train schedules and prices are at www.trenitalia.com.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 07:28 AM

Be aware that when you look at train sites you DO NOT want to take a train to Montepulciano. The station there is way out in the middle of nowhere and there are no taxis or busses that meet up with trains -- very strange. You will want to do as PalQ says and take the bus from Chiusi. An alternative is to take a bus from Siena to Montepulciano. Or you can go one way and come back the other for doubling your sightseeing along the way.
Once you arrive at the Montepulciano bus station, there are mini busses to take you up to the top of the village. It's a fair walk from the bus station, all up hill just to the entrance to the town, and then all uphill to the top -- just a word of warning.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 10:48 AM

Patrick, Do you know how often the mini busses run? Just wondered if you have to wait a while if you just miss one. I assume they also take people back down? (I wouldn't think they'd go empty.)
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 11:28 AM

The mini busses aren't too frequent, but they do match up with the arrivals of the busses coming in from Chiusi.

I wouldn't worry about a bus back down. If you're just visiting for a few hours or the day, I'd take the bus to the top and gradually work my way down. By the time you get to the entrance of the city at the bottom of the main hill, it would seem silly to take the mini bus the rest of the way to the bus station.

By the way, we spent a week in Montepulciano without a car, and took busses in and out of Montepulciano bus station quite a bit. We only took a mini bus into town once. But then we do like to walk. I didn't mean to suggest you can't walk up the hill. We did it a lot, but then our apartment was only a little over half way up.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 12:53 PM

Thanks, Patrick. Of course, you're right about not needing it back down, since you'd just work your way down. Actually, I can walk, but with arthritis in my knees, I try to avoid long uphill treks where possible, rather than add it to all the walking I know I'll be doing on the trip.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 06:51 PM
hdm

We just spent a week in Montepulciano and loved it. We'd just come from a busy week in Rome and were about to spend a busy week seeing Florence and Venice, so we opted for an apartment in Montepulciano (www.VRBO.com) and slowed our pace right down to match the pace of the town. There's a beautiful cafe called Poliziano on the main street -- we had many cappucinos and a couple of lunches there. Try to sit out on the little balcony, hovering over the most beautiful valley you'll ever see. A secondary main street has most of the shops on it (quite a steep street, though) and at the bottom is a wonderful cheese/salumi/wine shop that will give you tastes of just about everything. We very much liked a little restaurant called (I think) Osteria Acquacheta which is at the bottom of the street that leads to the town square. You'll recognize it by the fact that the owner wears a little ponytail. Lunches and dinners were both great. In the square is a rather fancier restaurant called Ristorante Ai Quattro Venti. It has a very good reputation and my husband seemed to like his dinner but I found mine so salty I couldn't eat it. Still worth a try in case it was just me. Finally, don't miss the church just outside the town walls, San Biago. It's lovely. Wait until it's empty of people praying, go stand on the stone in the floor right under the dome and clap your hands once really hard. You'll hear it echo around the dome about 18 times!

Mariastefnyc, if you don't mind sharing your e-mail address, I can send you the wonderful package of information about Montepulciano and surrounding area that was put together by the people who own our apartment. I still have it on the computer.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 07:56 PM

PalQ, if you would be so kind, I would love to receive that packet. Here is my email (remove the obvious):
[email protected]
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 09:10 PM
hdm

Artsfan,
Do you mean my info packet? Or are you expecting something from PalQ?

I'll send you mine anyway.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

thank you please send to [email protected]
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 11:12 PM

Sorry for butting in, but my husband and I are going to Italy next year and will be renting a villa or apartment in the Montepulciano area. hdm, if it's not too much trouble, I'd love it if you could send me your packet. My e-mail is - [email protected]

Old Jul 5th, 2005, 06:05 AM
hdm

I'll send it out later today. We got our lovely apartment from www.VRBO.com. I'll try to find the rental number for you but there are only a couple listed for Montelpulciano. Ours has this packet of info linked to it. Just coincidentally, we happen to know the owners personally so we felt very confident about renting and we certainly weren't disappointed. One thing I really liked was shopping in some of the little grocery stores in town and cooking at home a couple of nights. Also, it's a great location for day trips to other towns.

I really need to get around to writing my little trip report!
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 12:04 PM

Thanks!
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 01:23 PM
hdm

OK, for everyone who asked, here's the Montepulciano info.

We rented from www.VRBO.com and the rental number is 33620. If you click on it and scroll down to the bottom of that page you'll see (in red letters) "Personal Website -- More Info & Photos". There's lots of information there about the apartment, the town, the neighbouring towns, transportation, etc. Just ignore the 2003 prices. It's more expensive now but still a bargain when you consider the cost of hotels. The apartment is beautifully maintained, spacious and charming. There's no particularly nice view from any room but about 10 feet beyond the front door there's a lovely terrace which is shared by a number of residences which has a beautiful view of the valley.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 01:40 PM

Not to put down the above mentioned apartment, but anyone looking for an apartment IN the town of Montepulciano would be wise to look at these apartments, which do have wonderful views (ours had our own balcony with a fireplace on it) and are really wonderfully furnished and decorated. And we paid only 680 euro for a full week in high season for our two bedroom with an extra half bath:

http://web.tiscali.it/poggiolo/poggiolo_home.htm

Old Jul 5th, 2005, 01:45 PM

Mariastefnyc...FYI don't know if you planning a day trip there but I don't think there is luggage storage. Just check it out if you will be stopping for the day between two other destinations. You don't want to be hualing your things around all day.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 03:26 PM
hdm

Patrick,
You're right -- that is a lovely apartment and I'm bookmarking the site just in case I ever get back to Montepulciano.

Just to clarify something, though. The apartment we stayed in is right in Montepulciano. If I gave the impression is was somewhere outside the town, I'm sorry. We were right on a little viccolo a few steps off the main street.

I love the place you recommended, though. Where in the town is it?
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 03:40 PM

Well add me to those who were unclear. Yes, I realized yours was in town. I guess my comment emphasized IN town, because so many seem to want to be out in the country. I don't. I like to be able to walk out my door and shop or go to restaurants and not worry about driving back after wine at night.

You know as you go up the hill into Montepulciano, the road splits. Rather than go to the left (toward Cafe Polizano --and yes, it IS wonderful), you go to the right, make the sort of turn, then just a few more yards up on the right. The apartments have a large garden which faces out to the northern countryside, and you can open the gate and park your car there, having entered from the road which circles up on the outside of town, rather than through the narrow streets. We were without car as I mentioned. There are four apartments in what was once the family villa. Two sisters still live there and run the place, but one lives in Rome and only comes up for weekends. I think it is one of the greatest bargains I've ever found in Europe.

And regarding luggage. We sort of got to know the man and women running the little cafe and ticket office inside the Montepulciano bus station. They will gladly hold luggage for you there if need be.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 03:58 PM
hdm

I agree -- I like to be in town too. We were probably neighbours. One of the things I liked so much about Montepulciano was that it wasn't as much of a tourist town as some of the others we visited. Yes, of course there were tourists during the day but at night it felt like 'real life'.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO