Search

Florence to Lucca/Pisa/Siena

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2022, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florence to Lucca/Pisa/Siena

Hello,
I am leaving Florence and plan to travel by car to Lucca, then Pisa and spend the night in Siena. I know, ideally I would have several days to spend but I do not so would like to know if I can see "the hightlights" of Lucca and Pisa and still make it to Siena that evening. Or is this plan too ambitious for one day?
Thanks for your advice!
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 07:32 PM

Have you considered taking the train to Lucca and Pisa then either renting a car in Pisa or training to Siena? I think the train would be less stressful than driving; no worries about parking or ZTL.

As long as you just want to make quick visits, it’s possible to see both towns. I’d leave Florence early so you have time to wander around Lucca. There’s lots to see and do but several hours should give you enough time to walk or bike the wall and then wander through the town. I’ve been to Pisa twice, both very brief visits only to see the Tower. If that’s all you want to do, then plan an hour in Pisa, and pick up a car or train to Siena.
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 08:52 PM

A bit ambitious for me, but doable.
Train (depending on which train) and drive times can be close, but with the train, you don’t have to plan and pay for parking or leave luggage in a rental car.

If I were going to do this, I would leave Florence very late afternoon or early evening the day before and spend one night in Lucca. That gives the day in Florence, so you are not losing sightseeing time there and not using time to get to the rentals in Florence on the travel day. Find the shortest train trip that evening. The train station is right outside the walls, so it is easy to walk into Lucca from the station, lots of hotels, etc.

Lucca is especially nice in the evening when most tourists have left and there are excellent food choices. You could wake up in Lucca, enjoy a leisurely morning, head to Pisa by train, and not feel rushed getting to Siena.

I would wait and rent the car in Pisa, after visiting the Field of Miracles, so no worries about parking or luggage in the car.

Last edited by Sassafrass; Jul 6th, 2022 at 08:55 PM. Reason: More info
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 10:53 PM

Tour bus operators allow one hour for Pisa, and you shouldn't feel guilty if you do the same.
Old Jul 7th, 2022, 04:46 AM

Actually Pisa offers a whole lot more than the tower (my last visit I walked right by took a few photos and moved on). It was interesting to see an armored vehicle and six soldiers with automatic weapons guarding the entrance. Check out the Duomo of Pisa-a beautiful cathedral with great artwork inside. The Church of Santa Maria della Spina near the Arno River-its spectacular. Walk along the promenade along the Arno River-great views, numerous cafes, shops, eat....great spot for a drink and people watching. A wonderful shopping street is Borgo Stretto with incredible cafes and restaurants, many offering delicious tapas type snacks free with drinks. Mouthwatering foods in the cafe windows. If you are interested in art-check out the National Museum of San Matteo-we missed this on our last visit but it gets great reviews for its Italian 16th Century art by some famous artists. Move away from the hordes of tourists near the tower and explore the back neighborhoods of the town, little alleyways, sites along the river. One could easily spend an entire day enjoying Pisa. We took the train from Lucca-less than an hour.
Old Jul 7th, 2022, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by dfourh
Tour bus operators allow one hour for Pisa, and you shouldn't feel guilty if you do the same.
True for most. Remember though that the bus takes people pretty close to the sight and picks them up close to it.
If you are driving, you have to park further away and walk. If you take the train, there is a shuttle or taxi or you have to walk, so need to allow an extra twenty minutes or so each way, making your stop all together an hour and forty minutes.
Also, not always, but late afternoon traffic can be a bear departing Pisa.
Old Jul 7th, 2022, 07:39 AM

Go by car. Scheduling to the minute the train plus the visit of each location is not easy. Besides, if for some reason you spent too much time in Lucca, you can always abort your Pisa visit without depending on a unanticipated public transportation schedule. Get a ski chain to tie your luggage together. It won't prevent a potential break-in but it will make it difficult to move the luggage away.
Old Jul 7th, 2022, 08:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's always hard to know what people consider the "highlights" and how much time would be required anywhere. FWIW, I found Pisa infinitely more interesting than Lucca.

If you don't go by car, you have to deal with storing the luggage at each stop. Easy (if time-consuming) at the Pisa train station, but I don't know if it's possible at Lucca's station anymore. There may be a private option, but you'd have to look into that.

Sassafrass points out the additional time that driving can involve. Parking, walking, traffic... Make sure your luggage can be stored completely out of view in the rental car.

If you want to climb the tower in Pisa, you need to have a timed reservation.
Old Jul 7th, 2022, 08:34 AM
mjs

You don’t need a car to visit Pisa or Luca or Siena from Florence so why not just stay in Florence and do day trips. You won’t need to worry about parking or your luggage security while you are parked or the cost of the rental car.
Old Jul 7th, 2022, 09:44 AM
mjs

Also renting a car in Italy is pretty expensive these days
Old Jul 7th, 2022, 01:24 PM

If you spent the night before in Lucca, you would not have to even think about luggage storage or a car. You quite literally walk out of the station, cross the street, up a little paved hill and you are inside the walls. We were probably in our hotel within 10 to 15 minutes from getting off the train, and that was walking.

Not dealing with luggage and a car makes day trips great. OTOH, The major streets of all three of these places can be super crowded during the day, but peaceful at night.

BTW, when is this trip? Heat and crowds in Summer might be a factor in the plans.
Old Jul 7th, 2022, 05:20 PM

What if you go straight to Siena and let Lucca and Pisa be day trips from Siena? Would you have time??