Reload this Page >

Florence to London how?

Search

Florence to London how?

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2001, 10:59 PM
mongoose

Florence to London how?

my flight leaves london around 6 p.m. what's the best way to get from florence to heathrow? can be all air or combination air/train. thanks to all.

Old May 24th, 2001, 01:50 AM
Jurgen

Sorry, I don't understand the question.

Old May 24th, 2001, 05:59 AM
Rex

I understand the question perfectly: waking up in Florence, Italy - - need to catch a flight out of London at 6 pm - - what is the optimum use of train and/or air travel to arrive in time at the lowest cost? <BR> <BR>As with all travel questions, it might depend on what date, and especially WHICH airport in London - - and others will undoubtedly find other solutions. Indeed this is a great use of this forum. <BR> <BR>From Travelocity: $189 USD (roundtrip on Alitalia, throw away the return), FLR to LGW; dep 7:30 am, arr 9:00 am, plus fares to FLR, and between airports in London, if necessary <BR> <BR>From Virgin-Express.com - - 189000 ITL, LIN Milan Linate to LHR), dep 13:55 arr 16:30, plus train fare of 53700 to 80900 ITL frequent departures, plus transfer to the airport from Milano Centrale, and between airports in London, if necessary <BR> <BR>From Ryanair: 89000 ITL (PSA to STN, 3 departures a day, 2 of which might fit your needs), plus rail fare of $15-20 (per raileurope.com; can't get fs-on-line.com to price) and cab fares as needed; or 49000 ITL from Turin (dep 11:05, arr STN 12:15), with rail fare at $37-56 (as above, probably cheaper if actually purchased in Italy - - note: the train travel is long and arrives too late: 5:50 am to 10:52 am) <BR> <BR>There may be better ideas possible. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 07:49 PM
Rex

topping real questions, seeking to get things back to travel, even if only a little bit...

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 12:15 AM
Ben Haines

The no-frills airlines fly from Italy to Stansted for about 80 pounds in about 90 minutes. You'd take an Italian train ftrom Florence to Milan or Ancona. From Stansted to Heathrow is a two hour or a 45 minute transit. Train in fifty minutes to Liverpool Street, then a hour by tube: round the Circle Line to St James Park, same-platform change to District Line, to Hammersmith, cross-platform change to Piccadilly Line, arrive Heathrow. Or for five pounds more Circle Line 15 minutes to Paddington, then Heathrow Express 15 minutes to Heathrow. <BR> <BR>Buzz, http://www.buzzaway.com, ++44 870 240 7070, fly from Milan <BR>Go, http://www.go-fly.com, ++44 845 60 54321, fly from Milan <BR>Ryanair, http://www.ryanair.ie, ++44 870 156 9569, fly from Ancona <BR>Virgin Express, http://www.virgin-express.com, ++44 800 891 199, fly from Milan. <BR> <BR>Also if you use http://www.cheapflights.co.uk/ and enter Florence and Bologna you'll find flights straight to Heathrow, said to be about 150 pounds southbound to Florence and about 120 pounds southbound to Bologna, so perhaps the same sort of fare northbound. You'd discover by using online booking. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to Europe. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR>

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 06:12 AM
X

Rex - By topping a question which is 2 months old all you've done is let Ben waste his time! Not very sensible on your part. If you're going to top, do use some common sense next time. <BR> <BR>Ben - It's always a good idea to check the date of the question. I'm afraid Rex has led you up the garden path. I hope he apologizes for wasting your time.

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 06:52 AM
Rex

I totally disagree. <BR> <BR>This question is actually timeless, to a certain extent. The answer I posted, and Ben's follow-on might not have been so useful if they were three years old. <BR> <BR>But as a general purpose approach to connecting transportation between the British Isles and the continent (especially Italy or other southern/Mediterranean destinations) this thread is likely to be VERY useful to lots of readers here. <BR> <BR>The day that Ben Haines needs to be told to "pay more attention" by some anonymous, unclear-what-is-YOUR-motivation poster will be very cold in hell, indeed. <BR>

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 10:13 AM
Ben Haines

The poster of 12.10 is quite right: I hadn't noticed the date (sorry, Rex). But Rex is quite right, that it's good to have a real travel question and that the general principles apply fairly widely. <BR> <BR>Peace be with you <BR> <BR>Ben Haines <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 10:48 AM
xxxx

I think I am falling in love with Ben Haines.