Reload this Page >

Florence: Stay in or out?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 1998, 08:23 AM
Lori

We will be spending about 3-4 days in Florence. Unsure whether we should <BR>stay in the countryside or the city. I've read such wonderful things <BR>about Siena and Lucca and just the countryside of Tuscany that I'm <BR>wondering if staying there and just making day trips to Florence might be <BR>best. We'll also be visiting Venice and Rome so I we will definately be <BR>getting a good taste of city atmosphere. Grazie! (maybe two of each) <BR> <BR>Lori <BR>[email protected]

Old Jul 20th, 1998, 07:25 AM
Roberta

Definitely stay in Florence especially if taking day trips. Trains are more frequent from Florence to the small towns, than from small towns to other small towns.

Old Jul 20th, 1998, 08:35 AM
Richard Von Schlichten

We did the Rome-Florence-Venice trip last year but we stayed in Florence for two only days and spent four in Tuscany. I would suggest staying in Tuscany as opposed to making days trips. We stayed in two really wonderful hotels and each was unique and memorable. This allowed us to make ventures to places like San Gimignano and some vineyards without having to drive that far as well as not worrying about a long drive after a nice dinner with wine. I think if you drive through Tuscany, you'll be glad you stayed there. I'll be happy to send you info on the places we stayed--Hotel Pescille and Albergo La Bandita.

Old Aug 6th, 1998, 07:59 PM
Karen Ramrakha

We stayed with our 10yo daughter in a Florence apartment for two weeks and it was fantastic. We had rail passes and stayed near the train station. We also were near a supermarket, and the larger main market so we had fun shopping for food, and not too far to take it home. I would definitely recommend staying in Florence, and the smaller towns are easily accessible from there.

Old Aug 7th, 1998, 04:24 AM
anne

If you like to shop you'll want to stay at least some of the time in Florence. It's my favorite shopping city! That way you won't have to carry all the things you buy back on the bus or train to outside towns, plus you can take a rest from shopping and museums in your hotel and then hit the streets again. Last time we were there we talked about staying in Siena or another town out of Florence for a few days,and ending up in Florence to shop. <BR>Have a great time!

Old Aug 7th, 1998, 01:31 PM
Carol Leventhal

Florence is so rich in art treasures, historic buildings, interesting small alleyways with all sorts of craftspeople, not to mention beautiful goods and incredible food...stay in Florence this trip and get a good feel for the city. If you stay elsewhere, you'll likely want to see that place and not make the effort to travel back and forth to Florence. Buon viaggio! Carol L