Reload this Page >

Florence, Riviera and Venice-October 2001

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 02:20 PM
Sarah T

Hello There! I am traveling with my husband to Italy in October and although I have a thousand questions to ask, I am breaking down to ask the mundane question of Where to stay? Yes, I have researched the guide books, I have searched the internet and it has come down to-I would rather take a person's heartfelt opinion than rely on the individual hotel's website. I realize that what I am asking is a trite subject and I apologize in advance to the people that seem to get quite upset about repetitive questions. Hotels in Florence, what are some good ones other than Hotel Casci?(they are full) I am looking for a double room, around 100-150 USD. Has anyone stayed at Hotel Ginori or the Torre Guelfa? Any suggestions are appreciated. Also, Venice. Has anyone stayed at Hotel Fallier? Again any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help and your wisdom!!! If you think my message sucks, sorry and I hope you do not respond. <BR>Sincerely, <BR>Sarah T.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 02:35 PM
Heather

Sorry for no first-hand info, but have heard from friends that they liked the Hotel Torre Guelfa when they stayed there last December. Here's what National Geographic Traveler had to say about the hotel when they named it one of the 10 great deals in Florence: <BR> <BR>"The deal: hard to beat: less than $2-- a night for rooms that often have an extradordinary view of the city ... <BR> <BR>"The upside: Spacious bedrooms, superb location ... <BR> <BR>"The downside: Tired decor; some rooms are sparsely furnished. <BR> <BR>"Rooms to get: Number 15 (US$166), the most requested room has a terrace as large as the room itself, with a view of the Palazzo Vecchio. Number 22 is huge, but sparsely furnished (it has a pair of 4-poster twin beds) ... <BR> <BR>"Rooms to avoid: The small ones: 4 (tiny bath); 9, which has such a small bathroom that the sink had to be put in the room; and 11, although it has a large bathroom fitted for the disabled ..." <BR> <BR>www.venere.it/firenze/torreguelfa <BR> <BR>The article mentioned neither Hotel Casci nor Hotel Ginori, and I wouldn't recommend the hotel I stayed at in '97. Next Summer, based on a number of recommendations, I've reserved a room at http://www.soggiornobattistero.it/ But, I'm never in the room, so my needs are limited to cleanliness, comfy beds, and location. <BR> <BR>Sorry, but haven't stayed at Fallier in Venice, either. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps a bit. Have a wonderful vacation!

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 02:37 PM
Heather

Sorry for the typo ... that should be "less than US$200 a night". <BR> <BR>Also, you mentioned Riviera in the caption, but I didn't notice a question.

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 03:13 PM
Sarah T

Thank you for your response Heather! We have already made arrangements for the Riviera, although any stories or insights would be helpful. We will be staying in Santa Margherite Ligure and of course we will be hiking around the Cinque Terre. Are there any towns inland that merit a visit?

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 10:29 PM
Paula

Hi Sarah, <BR>My family truly enjoyed the following hotels and would stay at these again-- <BR>Florence--Hotel Villa Belvedere (tel-055-222-501, fax 055-223-163) <BR>This is located outside Florence (best to have car for this one. The settin is gorgeous--wonderful views, the rooms large and clean, the garden is beautiful, the owners and staff are great, and if you're a doglover, like we are, Ben, the St. Bernard, is a sweetheart. <BR>In Venice we stayed at Hotel Flora (after a miserable night at Fodor's recommendation, Pensione Seguso). For 3 nights we had a large room, which was great, but one night we had a small one, which was too cramped. The location is terrific and the owner and staff very helpful. (No dog here, though!) <BR>Hope your trip is as wonderful as ours was. <BR>Best wishes, Paula

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 04:36 AM
elaine

Hi Sarah <BR>I think all the hotels you mention have appeared before on this forum--try doing a search for each, or just search <BR>Florence hotel or Venice hotel and find a zillion suggestions, many in your price range. www.venere.it is also helpful for searching for hotels. <BR>I also have files on Florence and Venice; if you'd like to see them email me. I have an Italy trip coming up soon myself, and it will include a return visit to Venice I'm thrilled to say. <BR>Enjoy it.