Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Florence hotel quality - price points or stars?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 02:04 PM
x

I know this is a tough question to answer, but here goes. I'm a budget traveler and have paid approx $60 in the past for two star hotels, and they've been pretty lousy - dark depressing rooms with decrepit furnishings. I'm looking to move up in quality a bit. Will try three star hotels, and they seem to be in the $120-150 range for a single. My question is - can I expect these to be of better quality than the decrepit two star rooms? Or do I need to pay X (fill in the blank, please) to discernably move up in quality? Thanks!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 03:20 PM
a

X:<BR><BR>Hotels in Italy get stars for amenities, not avoiding being decrepit. So, could find great 2 star or lousy 3 star. Try a good guide book (Great Sleeps in Italy, Karen Brown, etc.) and checks recommendations posted on this site.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 05:34 PM
Sherri kardell

Hi check this place out:hotel Beacci Tornabuoni www.bthotel.it it's my favorite so far in Floence I think it might be more like $150 ; but well worh it in my opinion. It is also reviewed in Fodors.<BR>La Dolce Italy

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:43 PM
Terry

I can recommend the Residenza dei Pucci, www.venere.com/it/firenze/residenzadeipucci. I had a double room for single use here, at the rate of 125 euro per day. Check this out. There are many more listings on the Venere site.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:46 PM
xxx

If you pay between $120-$150 for a single I'd say you'd generally get a very nice room. Of course the quality is much better than a decrepit dark room. Some doubles go for $150 even so for a single at the same rate, you'll get a nice room.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:20 PM
Holly

You might get a newer bedspread, newer wallpaper, and a newer bathroom, but it's not necessarily going to be any larger a room, or brighter and airier, than the 2-star. Good luck finding many (any) recommendations on this site for single rooms anywhere at any rate.