Florence Hotel in September

Old Jul 15th, 1998, 04:56 PM
Lynda

Florence Hotel in September

We will be staying for a couple of days in Florence and need a nice hotel that is not too expensive. Do
you have any suggestions? Would like air conditioning if possible.

Old Jul 16th, 1998, 06:06 AM
Lorri

There are six adults in our group meeting in Florence on July 31 - Aug 3. We also are looking for inexpensive accommodations. Must be clean & central if possible. Any suggestions?

Old Jul 16th, 1998, 08:15 AM
wes fowler

Lynda and Lori,
In Florence, consider the Hotel Hermitage, 1 Vicola Marzio; telephone 287216; fax 212208. The hotel is within 100 feet of the Ponte Vecchio on the Duomo
side of the bridge and perhaps 250 feet of the Uffiizi galleries.
Double room with bath and breakfast will be around $125-$150. The hotel has some of the best views of the city from the sixth floor terrace: Ponte
Vecchio, Duomo, the Arno and the Palazzo della Signoria.
>
Staff of young women from all over Europe can direct you to good dining. We were directed to a restaurant in one of the streets of Via del
Parione (Via del Purgatorio, perhaps) and had a superb meal.
>
In 1995 the Sunday travel section of the New York Times said "Given its location, the efficient, helpful staff and its overall charm, the
Hermitage may be one of Florence's best buys". Based on our experience, we'd agree.
>

Old Jul 16th, 1998, 09:22 AM
Claudette L'Huillier

Last September my husband and I stayed for 4 nights at the Franciscan Missionary Sisters' Convent in the Piazza del Carmine (the Church is where the Cappella Brancacci, famous Masaccio frescos are located). It is a former Florentine Palazzo complete with walled gardens and ceiling frescos in all the rooms. It was awesome. We did the "demi-pension" where we had breakfast and dinner included in our rate. The room was huge, immaculate and overlooking the garden. We had a separate bath just outside our door. There is an 11 pm curfew. The total for 2 people with two meals ("demi-pension") per night was about $85. You must reserve at least one month ahead. It is really a special place. E-mail me if you want the address and fax info. [email protected]

Old Jul 16th, 1998, 12:58 PM
Marcus Vinicius

Dear friend,
Sorry, my english is bad but iŽd like to know the adress, fax and fone of the hotel in Florence (Franciscan).

thank you

Marcus Vinicius
Brasilia - Brasil

Old Jul 16th, 1998, 01:20 PM
tom

You may want to consider the Porta Rosa (Red Door). It is the oldest hotel in Florence and although in some places, carpets in the hallways, it is showing some wear, it is a good buy for the $. Very conveniently located, the Porta Rosa is only one block form the Arno and about two blocks fom the Ponte Vechio. Virtually all of the attractions are within a short walk. The staff was very friendly and they don't charge you for all of the "ballroom" stuff associated with other hotels.

Old Jul 16th, 1998, 05:31 PM
Joanna

Agree with the above posting re the Hermitage. Stayed there in 96 and had fabulous view over Ponte Vecchio from room. In fact, was more like an apartment - a bedroom, bathroom and sitting room, plus a common sitting room outside. The hotel, for its location, was inexpensive and quiet and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Old Jul 18th, 1998, 01:23 PM
Lori

My husband and I stayed in a lovely hotel in Florence called the Hotel Martelli. It was an old Medici palace. It was on the main drag that ran from the train station to the Duomo, but it was very quiet as the rooms were set back. It didn't look like much from the outside, but the inside was gorgeous. The rooms were basic, but clean with baths. It was cool to wander around the hotel because you never knew when you would come upoon a terrace garden or a huge sitting room. it was within walking distance of all the sights. We booked it through Italiatour, the tour branch of Alitalia.

Old Jul 18th, 1998, 05:20 PM
Debbie Sias

Is this far from the train station? Would you please send the address and fax info? Is it near many of the typical sights that you would visit? We will not have a car. Thanks.

Old Jul 20th, 1998, 05:02 AM
Claudette L'Huillier

The information on the Franciscan Missionary Convent is as follows:

Francescane Missionarie di Maria
Piazza del Carmine, 21
50124 Firenze
Tel. 055-21 38 56
Fax. 055-28 18 35
(From the US, dial 0-11-39 then the complete number above.)

I verified the prices, too. These prices are from October '97: 50,000 Lire per person with only breakfast and 70,000 Lire per person with both breakfast and dinner. Both rates are for the bathroom outside the room. Buon Viaggio !!

Old Aug 6th, 1998, 01:36 AM
Jef Maes

Pensione Mirella, Via Alfani 36 Florence
has double rooms with bath and breakfast at 100.000 lire for two perosons (50.000/person)
Tel. 055-2478170