Stonehenge and Bath

Search

Stonehenge and Bath

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stonehenge and Bath

Will be visiting London late next month and looking for suggestions for a guided tour company to take us from London to either Stonehenge and Bath, or just Stonehenge alone. Am I correct that they are close to each other? If so, is it worthwhile to visit both locations?
Old Oct 11th, 2014, 04:11 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
They are not that near each other. You have a few options depending on your interests:

1). Just go to Salisbury by train and a local bus to Stonehenge.

2) an expensive bus tour that covers Windsor, Stonehenge and Bath from London.

3) a train to Bath (just Bath as a day trip)

4) a train to Bath w/ an overnight stay and a local tour of Stonehenge and Lacock w/ MadMax.
Old Oct 11th, 2014, 04:11 PM

It's possible to visit both in one day but you won;t see the best of either.

To actually get INTO Stonehenge you need to join one of the special tours - which I believe are very early this time of year - since it gets dark so early. (Search Stonehenge here - there was a recent post about the special entry tour.)

For Bath you can just hop a train (again start early) and see several of the main sights there yourself (including Romand Baths and Cathedral) in one day.
Old Oct 11th, 2014, 05:55 PM

>>To actually get INTO Stonehenge you need to join one of the special tours - which I believe are very early this time of year - since it gets dark so early.<<

Well -- to <i>visit</i> Stonehenge you just need to go during regular opening hours ( some ways to do it I explained above)

To get <u>inner access</u> you need to pre-book weeks ahead and go before opening time (not really possible from London w/o an overnight in Salisbury before hand) or after the site closes for the day. Time of year doesn't matter that much - it is just before or after normal opening times. But Inner Access is a special pre-booked visit. 99+% of visitors just go during regular opening hours.
Old Oct 11th, 2014, 07:15 PM

Last year we joined the STONEHENGE PRIVATE VIEWING MORNING-SPECIAL ACCESS through Anderson Tours. We did not spend the night in Salisbury, we got picked up at 4:30am and was back in London by 5pm. The local guide was great, and very knowledgeable. I think joining a tour with inner access, and. before the crowds arrive is the best way to appreciate Stonehenge.
Old Oct 11th, 2014, 07:35 PM

We did this as a day trip from London but it was back in summer 2008. Did a small group tour-around 20 people with driver and guide.

First we did a private access sunrise tour of Stonehenge where we were the only ones there other than the site guard. We were allowed beyond the rope barriers right up close and personal with the stones. It was an awesome experience and those memories have stayed strong with me years later.

Then we were driven to Lacock and had breakfast at the George Inn. After, our guide took us on a tour of this village.

Lastly we went to Bath. Included was admission to the Roman Baths. We had free time so my husband and I walked and visited Bath Abbey, Pulteney Bridge and gardens nearby. We also had enough time for some shopping. We then drove around to see the Royal Crescent Homes and other sights in the town.

We arrived back in London around 5 pm or so. We were very pleased with our tour through Viator.

http://www.viator.com/tours/London/P...ck/d737-2452T2

You can plan this yourself using local transport which may be cheaper but you may not have private access to Stonehenge. I'm glad I did the tour and didn't have to worry about getting from point A to point B, etc.

I'm sure there are other companies that offer similar tours.
Old Oct 11th, 2014, 09:42 PM

Milaedg and chris45 did commercial tours for the inner access - very possible but also very expensive. English Heritage offers inner access to the general public for a fraction the cost. It actually would be cheaper to get a B&B in Salisbury and do it on your own.

But if you only have one day, it fits in the budget, and you don't mind leaving London long before sunrise, then the commercial tours are an option.
Old Oct 12th, 2014, 03:28 AM

I highly recommend London a Walks. They are affordable and have regular day trips to Stonehenge and Salisbury or day trips to Bath. Both are excellent.

http://www.walks.com/London_Walks_Ho..._/default.aspx
Old Oct 12th, 2014, 04:08 AM

NYTRAVELER, it's no good to advise "(Search Stonehenge here - there was a recent post about the special entry tour.)" as the search function hasn't been updated for months. Latest posts are from months ago. But under normal circumstances, that would be a good thought!
Old Mar 4th, 2015, 01:09 PM

I recently booked a tour similar to that of chris45ny's, but in reverse, since we'll have inner-circle access at sunset. We booked through Premium Tours, and the cost was 109 pounds (about USD$160) per person. The bus picks us up in London around 11 a.m., and goes to Bath and Lacock before heading to Stonehenge.