Florence City Busses

Feb 1st, 2001, 07:46 PM
James

Florence City Busses

Will be in Florence for 5 days soon.

Has anyone used the local bus service?

Are maps available similiar to the Paris metro?

Will be staying at the Plaza Vecchio on the Arno near Santa Croce.

Any info will be appreciated.

Feb 2nd, 2001, 12:54 AM
Ian

Last year I stayed at Fattoria Pagnana (www.fattoria-pagnana.com) and they showed me an excellent site (also in English) on the Florence bus network. Look at www.ataf.net
Have a nice trip!

Feb 2nd, 2001, 04:42 AM
Paulo

If what you're looking for is which bus to take between any two addresses
in Florence, you may refer to
http://lorenzo.provincia.fi.it/loren...-&bestway_page

This is in Italian but you shouldn't have difficulties.

As an example, try looking which bus one should take from the train station
to your hotel.

Da indirizzo (from address): stazione
A risorsa (to resource): plaza

This will show you an option box (opt for p.zza della Stazione) and also
that plaza produces Plaza & Lucchesi hotel. If this is the hotel you're
staying (never heard of Plaza Vecchio!) than hit the "disegna su mappa il
percorso" botton (otherwise just insert your hotel's address in the "ad
indirizzo" box).

This will tell you to take bus #14 or #14A, step off at the 6th stop
(Ghibellina 6) and walk 400mts. The map is "zoomable".

Paulo

Feb 2nd, 2001, 12:24 PM
Walter

James: Florence is also a _very_ walkable city, on a map it does look large though. If you drawn a line North-South at the train station and another at Santa Croce Church and a East-West line at the Accademia and another at the Pitti Palace
you will have box that is only 1 square mile (1.6KM) with *mostly* all the tourist sites within it and very likely your hotel also. Regards, Walter

Feb 2nd, 2001, 05:20 PM
sam

Ask your hotel for a Bus map. I did not take the bus but I looked at the map and it was easy to read and follow. If you are going to do the main attractions in FLorence, you do not need a bus. But if you are to go a little outside of the city centre, it should be easy. Ask the Hotel or look for some of the bigger busstops, you will find what you need.

Feb 2nd, 2001, 05:25 PM
cmt

I took the city bus service to Fiesole and to Settignano. Very friendly local "suburban"(?) Florentine women on the bus enthusiastically told me how many minutes/stops to go until my destination. The only problem the first time was that I didn't realize that I couldn't pay on the bus. You have to buy your ticket from a nearby shopkeeper, and that isn't always obvious(or at least that's how it was 3 years ago).

Feb 9th, 2001, 09:39 AM
kellie

As someone else mentioned, Florence is fairly easy to get around by foot. The buses are sometimes overcrowded and often smelly (hey you asked for advice!) But hey can be useful if you are going far. Make sure you have your ticket with you at all times. Once in awhile someone will come on the bus and check tickets...make sure you have your ticket and it is stamped. THey will fine you and I hear it is a hefty fine.

Feb 9th, 2001, 10:25 AM
carol

You can buy bus tickets in the little shops called "tabacchi", which sell newspapers, magazines, stamps, etc. Take the number #13 bus up to Piazzale Michaelangelo for a fabulous panoramic view of Florence.

Feb 9th, 2001, 10:32 AM
pam

The #7 bus goes to Fiesole. Either buy tickets at tabacchi or look for automated ticket machines near some bus stops (but be aware they don't usually give change).