Florence & Venice - Key Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi my wife and I will be reaching Florence on the 28th evening and be there until October 1st early morning.
So in essence we have 3 nights and 2 full days in Florence. Ideally we would like to spend some time in Sienna, Lucca and Fiesole.
I really love these forums and thought of asking the gurus the following questions:
1. What are the must do museums/galleries in Florence? Is Uffizi enough?
2. Does anyone have experience with the hop on-hop off tour buses if one spends a day on them covering florence city and fiesole?
2. Can Sienna and Lucca be covered in a day (we are not too crazy about Pisa, since both of us have seen the tower when we were young)? This way we can do the museums and the city on the 29th and the nearby Tuscan cities on the 30th.
3. Do you recommend we rent a car or just take the bus/train since time is limited and I understand that parking etc. is a huge hasssle.

4. Also, we will be in Venice for 2 nights (26th, all day 27th, leaving for Florence on the 28th). Besides exploring the city and the gondola rides - are there any museums/historical sites / must-visit's you would recommend there?

Would really appreciate the advise on ANY or ALL of the questions above.
(This is probably not our last trip to Italy if that helps any).

Thanks a ton
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 08:57 PM
cmt

Nothing is a "must." Travel is not a "must." But if you're asking about the most important and interesting art museums to see in the city, I would add the Bargello and the Museo dell'Opera del Duomo to your "must do" list (though I really don't care for the idea of a "must do" list).

If you have only two days, I think you should spend them in Florence. But if you're really not especially interested in Florence, a day trip to Siena is an excellent and worthwhile option. I would not suggest going to Siena and Lucca in the same day. With such limited time, I'd skip Lucca this time.

You can easily go to Fiesole for a while on one of your Florence days. It's very near--just on the outskirts of Florence--and reachable by local public bus.

Unless you have a walking problem or there's a terrible rain storm, I don't think you need to use a bus to get to the places of interest within Florence. It just isn't that big and everything is walking distance.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 05:05 AM

Museums & Galleries:

Galleria degli Uffizi
This former palace of the Medici houses one of the most impressive art collections in the world. It shows the evolution of Italian painting from the primitives to the 17th century. Worth seeing: Botticelli’s’ Birth of Venus, Titian’s Venus of Urbino, Michelangelo’s Holy Family or the Portrait of the Duke of Urbino by Piero della Francesca. http://www.polomuseale.firenze.it

Museo Nazionale del Bargello
It houses sculptures by Michelangelo, Donatello, Verrocchio and various collections of enamelware, jewellery, weapons ...
http://www.polomuseale.firenze.it

Galleria dell’Accademia
19th century statues, Byzantine paintings, Russian icons, paintings by Florentine Renaissance painters, notably Botticelli’s Madonnas and above all sculptures by Michelangelo, including the original of the famous David.

Galleria Pitti
Gallery of modern art, museum of silverware and Galleria.

Museo della Casa Fiorentina Antica in Palazzo Davanzati
A museum of Florentine domestic life: furniture, fabrics, domestic objects from the 14th to 18th century.

More about Florence:
http://www.tuscanweb.com/news/?ID=51
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 05:21 AM

I'd echo the recommendation of Bargello in Florence which has Italy's finest Renaissance sculpture. I also loved the Convento di San Marco, particularly the monks' cells which have frescos of the life of Christ by Fra Angelico.
Two days is not nearly enough for Florence, without even considering trips to Siena and Lucca. Lucca deserves two days to itself. We were there earlier this year and loved it! Siena is also gorgeous and again has enough to occupy anyone for several days.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 06:08 AM

I sound like a broken record on this board, but check the opening days and times of the places you want to visit in Florence carefully. I've never seen such a crazy array of opening and closing times and days. Lots of places are closed the 1st, 3rd and 5th Sundays or Mondays of the month. Some places (including the Bargello, I believe and perhaps some of the musuems at the Pitti Palace) are only open until 1 in the afternoon. Some of the terrific churches have very limited hours. Some places close early on Saturday afternoons.

Look at the terrific advice you've already been given - plus a guidebook or two - then make a list in order of priority of what you want to see. Then try to fit all of it in....you probably won't be able to. Oh yes, and be sure to make reservations pretty far in advance for the Academia and the Uffizi. We called over 2 months in advance for the Academia and only one time was available for the day we needed.

Be sure to climb the dome at the Duomo, to see the Last Judgment up close. The baptistery is also terrific. Must sees also include the Medici Chapels and Santa Croce.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 08:33 AM

bkm
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 09:29 AM

I can't imagine that a hop on-hop off bus tour in Florence would be useful. The area with most tourist sites is very small and pedestrian-only. A bus of this kind probably ocouldn't get close to many of the most interesting/important sights. (I'm not sure that one of these bus tours even exists.) To visit Fiesole, just take a local public bus. For your itinerary, skip the car.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 09:35 AM

Florence: Hop On Hop Off Bus:
if you keep your eyes open you can get the same thing by taking the #13 bus which circles the city.
Ira gave me this suggestion last year and it was great!
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 09:57 AM
ira

Hi S,

>3 nights and 2 full days in Florence.<

That's good for seeing Florence.

Have you looked up Florence and Venice under "Destinations"?

>Can Sienna and Lucca be covered in a day?<

Each can be done in 1/2 day, if you wish. They are in different directions from Florence.

>Do you recommend we rent a car...?

For what? You can get to Siean by SITA bus in about 1:30 hr, to Fiesole in 20 min with the Florence city bus (http://www.ataf.net/), and Lucca by train (www.trenitalia.com).

Enjoy your visit.

Old Sep 19th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the great suggestions.
Yes, I completely agree that perhaps 2 days/3 nights is not enough for a trip to Florence (but it's the best we have).
I'll definitely check out the Duomo, Uffizi and Accademia on the first day. Depending on that day we can decide if Siena is do-able or if we'd rather stay around in Florence.

Also, any suggestions on Venice (#4 in my list of questions).
thanks again for the response.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 01:26 PM

For your short visit to Venice, most would suggest the main sights you would find in any travel guide: the Basilica of San Marco and the Palazzo Ducale (Doge's Palace). The rest is kismet.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 01:31 AM

chilled out and have a bellini at Harry's Bar. Take a morning walk around San Marco, cross the bridge and head to may be Rialto area for morning shopping of fresh fruits before settle down in any cafe you fancy for your morning cuppa. Pleasant without the noise from the crowd of tourists.

If you have more time, you may consider going to Burano for the colourful houses and/or Murano for the famous colour glass

Old Sep 20th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

thanks all for the replies ---

yes you are absolutely right...with such short durations we are planning on just 'chilling' taking in the beautiful surroundings.

btw, does anyone recommend getting the VeniceCard? We are in Venice for about 2 nights/2 days. Is the ACTV pass a wise investment? Thinking of taking the ACTV bus from the airport to the hotel near San Marco. I guess it'll drop us off at P. Roma.

thanks again.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 08:35 AM

Most people don't see the value of a Venice card. You might get a 24-hour pass.This pass is good for 24 actually hours from the moment you first validate it for use, so you can use it on more than one day. For example, if you validate it (punch the date/time on it in the yellow machine at the vaporetto landing) at noon one day, it is good until noon the next day. Venice is small and walking and exploring is fun, so you may not ride many vaporetti. However, I would recommend you ride the full length of the Grand Canal at least twice--once during the day and once at night. For individual tickets, the cost is 5 euros, so a pass might be a benefit there.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 08:58 AM

Mario06: I believe this is the origin of the Galleria deglil Uffizi:

Building of the palace was commenced in 1560 by Giorgio Vasari for Cosimo I de' Medici as the offices for the Florentine magistrates — hence the name uffizi, meaning offices (plural).
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 10:50 AM

Ellenm has it right, walk and walk. No bus, probably there isn't one anyway
You also must check carefully the opening hours they might vary within the week.
I think one of the "must" is to try to feel Florence as much as possible considering the short time you will be there. Enjoy it, sit in a caffe, window shop, take a turn here and another there....try to feel as much as you can. Museums there are many wonderful ones and not to visit the Uffici it is for me a sin, but I also loved the first day I visited Florence a tour of the Palazzo Vechio (may be I ,m spelling it wrong), the Uffici and the open loggia, the Piazza della Signoria ...
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 11:17 AM

i agree nothing is must do. and as for art museums, make sure you like the type of art the museum contains. personally i did the Uffizi because it's the Uffizi, but i really don't care much for that type of art work. in hindsight, i would have skipped it entirely and gone back to see the David a second time. but it's personal preference.

use the guide books with a pinch of salt...top 10 is on editors top 10 not mine.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 01:25 PM

1. What are the must do museums/galleries in Florence? Is Uffizi enough?

None. Don't waste you time in museums.

2. Does anyone have experience with the hop on-hop off tour buses if one spends a day on them covering florence city and fiesole?

Florence is so small tat you don't need a bus.

2. Can Sienna and Lucca be covered in a day (we are not too crazy about Pisa, since both of us have seen the tower when we were young)? This way we can do the museums and the city on the 29th and the nearby Tuscan cities on the 30th.

The answer is no. Sienna is a definate overnighter. Lucca isn't worth a visit.

3. Do you recommend we rent a car or just take the bus/train since time is limited and I understand that parking etc. is a huge hasssle.

Definately take public transportation. Roads, parking and cost of gas are horrendous.

4. Also, we will be in Venice for 2 nights (26th, all day 27th, leaving for Florence on the 28th). Besides exploring the city and the gondola rides - are there any museums/historical sites / must-visit's you would recommend there?

Venice is one big historical site. Don't waste time inside in museums and the like. St. Mark's Cathedral is the biggest thing to see.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 02:57 PM

Venice: I liked the Doge's palace. and a boat trip (water taxi) to Murano for "glass watching".
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 04:57 PM

For Venice--of course a lot depends on your personal interests.

Some of the sights, sites, and activities in Venice that we've enjoyed over the years: Piazza San Marco, Basilica San Marco, Campanile, Palace of the Doges, Grand Canal on a vaporetto, Lagoon islands: (Murano, Burano, Torcello), San Michelle, Gondola yard. The Arsenal and the Naval Museum, Correr Museum, Accademia art museum, Peggy Guggenheim Gallery, numerous art shows and exhibits that are always running, The Ghetto. Another dozen or so specialty museums (Lace museum, Archaeological musuem, etc).

Too many churches to list with interesting and world-class art and architecture, but...Basilica Santa Mariadella Salute, Basilica dei Frari, Santa Maria dei Miracoli, San Sebastiano, San Pietro di Castello, Santo Giovanni E Paolo, Madonna dell'Orto. Venice's churches have some of Italy's greatest works of art--some free to view--by the likes of Tintoretto, Veronese, Titian, Bellini, Vivarini, and Carpaccio.

Scuola Grande di San Rocco, Scuola San Giorgio degli Schiavoni, Scuola San Nicolo, Scuola Grande Dei Carmini, Scuole Grande of San Rocco.

Campo Santa Maria Formosa, Ca’ Rezzonico museum, Querini-Stampalia palace/museum, San Giovanni Evangelista, Ponte di Rialto, Rialto market, Ca’ d’Oro, Ca' Pesaro museum, gondola tour of smaller, hidden canals. Opera and concerts at La Fenice and other venues. Walking away from the daytripping herds and discovering a quiet, secret city that most tourists have no clue exists--quiet campos with perhaps a restaurant or two and a couple of shops, and neighborhood children playing or couples strolling before dinner.

Of course, there's a variety of special events year round.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -