Reload this Page >

Florence and/or Rome??

Search

Florence and/or Rome??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2000, 10:51 AM
JoAnne

Florence and/or Rome??

Planning a trip to Italy in October 2001, but will only have 6/7 nights. Would you recommend staying in one area or dividing time between two cities such as Florence and Rome. I really want to see Florence, but is 7 days too long without renting a car?

Old Dec 23rd, 2000, 11:04 AM
Maira

I don't believe you need a car if staying in Rome and/or Florence. As a matter of fact, I would recommend that you do not get a renal car if Rome/Florence are your home bases. I would arrive in Rome, spend three days, train to Florence, spend three days and return to the U.S. from Rome.

Old Dec 23rd, 2000, 02:33 PM
sandi

If you don't plan side trips along the way, you won't need a car at all. The only reason why we rented one for a few days was to drive thru Tuscany and stop at all the walled cities we wanted. Everything in those cities you mentioned are accessible by foot or fabulous public transportation.

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 07:34 AM
Carol

7 days is not too long for Florence and environs, and is the best way to get to know the city. You can spread your sightseeing out, which also gives you the luxury of just wandering around. Bus service is good, (Siena, Lucca, Fiesole) and so are the fast trains (Rome in 2 hours). Save Rome for another trip and budget 2 weeks for it, don't try to squeeze it into a day or two.

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 09:49 AM
Jackie

I agree that you should probably spend your time in either Florence or Rome, and not divide the two. Even if 3 days or so is enough time to see Florence, it is definitely not enough time to see Rome. I would choose one or the other--you can do soo much in Florence and surrounding areas, and, if it were me, I'd go to Florence rather than Rome, but Rome is good if you have some time to really explore. Rome is an amazing city too. But I would take one or the other this time. <BR> <BR>geocities.com/j_goyette/t.html

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 11:19 AM
Susan

Hi JoAnne, <BR>As much as I agree that 3 days is not enough time in either, I would go to both. They are so vastly different and you won't know which one you want to see again unless you see both.