Search

Florence

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2005, 10:59 AM
CAA
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florence

I will be in Florence for 3 days in June. I will be doing a bike trip into the Tuscan hills one of the days. Any advice on what to see and do while in Florence?
Also, I am not really into museums, would it be a crime if I was in Florence and didn't go to the Uffizi or Accademia?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 11:11 AM

I'm sorry but I have to say that's a silly question. Are you looking out for the museum police? You won't be allowed back into the US if you don't see David? So like who's going to know but you what you visit or don't visit? We all have different interests.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 11:18 AM
CAA
Original Poster

Well that makes me feel better. Everyone keeps telling me not to miss seeing the David no matter what so I have been feeling quilty if I didn't have it in my itinerary.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 11:23 AM

The original David is truly a masterpiece at the Accademia, and the "slaves" (unfinished sculptures leading up to David) are also very impressive and intriguing, but there is a great copy of David sitting outside in the main square that you can pose next to a say that you saw in it's place!

Enjoy Firenze!
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 11:51 AM

You just have to see Michaelangelo's DAVID in Accademia, even if you don't like art. The size of the sculpture alone will leave you amazed.

If you are on a bike trip, you are probably a nature lover. Therefore, you would enjoy a walk through the Boboli Gardens. You can get a magnificient view of Florence from the Kaffeehaus.

I took a guided tour of the Synagogue of Florence. The tour is free and is a good insight into the lives of the Jewish citizens of the city, past and present. Outside of the synagogue is a memorial with the names of the families who were sent to the death camps during the Holocaust. The synagogue also contains a museum.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 12:00 PM

It's not a crime, but you could breeze through the Accademia very quickly--20 minutes max if you really just wanted to see David.

Regardless, I hope you enjoy your time in Florence.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 12:24 PM

To echo what Leely said, the Accademia can be done very quickly, and there wasn't even a line when I went a few weeks ago. David really is quite amazing to see in person.

*whispering*I actually didn't like the Uffizi that much, and I don't think it was worth standing in line an hour-and-a-half for.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 12:31 PM

Just wondering why you decided to plan two other days in Florence besides the bike trip--what are your interests in Florence beside museums? If people know that , they can better give you advice on what to see.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 03:01 PM

You don't like museums? OK, I can live with that.

Visit the Duomo and the Battistero, the Medici Chapels, the churches of San Lorenzo, Santo Spirito (in the Oltrarno, on the other side of the Arno), San Miniato (also Oltrarno, with lovely views of Florence), the Palazzo Medici-Riccardi for the chapel covered in the most wonderful frescoes by Benozzo Gozzoli, and maybe one museum: Museo di San Marco, a former monastery with lovely frescoes by Fra Angelico (never croweded, at least not in my experience).
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 03:05 PM

And one that I forgot, because it was always "in restauro" or closed or whatever when I was in Florence: The Palazza Davanzati; it shows you what a Florentine palace of the 14th to 16th century was like -- as a place to live in.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 03:07 PM

My typing is sometimes lousy. That should be "crowded" in the first message and "Palazzo" in the second.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 05:06 PM

I've been to Florence 3 times and I've never went to the Accademia.....and guess what I don't feel guilty. I totally agree with crefloors....what are your interests?...

Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 08:37 AM
CAA
Original Poster

I enjoy looking at architecture and eating great food.

Could you please tell me where, how to sign up for free tour of synagogue in Florence...
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 08:39 AM
CAA
Original Poster

Also, Boboli gardens can you just walk through it or do you need to sign up and get a ticket?
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 08:45 AM

You have to purchase a ticket to enter the gardens. I was not very impressed with the gardens when I was there in 2003. Perhaps they are more manicured now. There were some nice views from there, though....especially from the Rose Garden.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 08:48 AM
CAA
Original Poster

do i need to purchase a ticket ahead of time or when I am at the gardens?
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 08:50 AM

The Duomo and the Batistero are great for architecture lovers. Go to Piazzale Michaelangelo and Boboli gradens for great views.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 08:50 AM

If you DO go to see the David (worth it I think), go early and be sure to walk around the back side......not ever seen in photos, etc. I sat on the floor and sketched it one year, one of my favorite pieces.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 09:04 AM
Fairhope

See David and ask yourself- "what is it with the size of that hand?"

Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 09:05 AM

"Well that makes me feel better. Everyone keeps telling me not to miss seeing the David no matter what so I have been feeling quilty if I didn't have it in my itinerary."

I'll bet that not one person in 100 could tell the difference between the real David and the copy that stands outside city hall.

As far as the museums are concerned, if you don't run down to the local museuym to see every new exhibit that opens, why would you want to do that on a trip?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -