Search

Florence

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2001, 01:36 PM
Pat Rooney

Florence

Going to Florence on January 7 for a week. Suggestions for dining and side trips. Pat Rooney

Old Dec 16th, 2001, 07:29 PM
jane

Hi Pat,<BR><BR>A really great restaurant in Florence in the Circina Toscana Ristorante on Via Palchell ( i think). They have 2 seatings, one at 7:30 and 1 at 9. get there early. we were the only non-italians eating there. they serve 5 courses and chianti and a dessert wine for $30. great service, great food, great ambience.

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 04:38 AM
elaine

Hi Pat<BR>I have a long file on Florence; if you'd like to see it, email me. You can also do a search on this message board for Florence and find many good suggestions.<BR>Also check the Rants and Raves and other sections of this Fodor's website.

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 04:21 PM
Bob

Check the Fodor's hardcopy book for 2000 (ours is packed away) but there is a recommended place called Pasquinni or Pasinni. Anyway, it's in the book and it's to DIE for. Intimate, friendly, and reasonably priced. This was the best (and hardest place to find - you must ask a police person to pull out a map) place that my wife and I ate at during our honeymoon (October 2001). Salute!

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 06:17 PM
KDenise

Side trip - head up to Fiesole, tour the Etruscan ruins, the convent, the museums, check out the wonderful views!

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 04:16 AM
Dean

I will top my toscanna suggestions. You can do any of the sections in a day. I would reccomend going to Monte Oliveto Maggiore and Montalcino/St Antimo for a one day side trip (car required, incredible wine tasting at the enoteca fortezza in montalcino). San Gim and Voltera would also make a nice day (less driving, more fellow tourists). <BR><BR>

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 11:19 AM
Ginger

We just ate at Il Latini in Florence on Via Palchetti. It was GREAT. Lots of locals there. Arrive at 7:30 because they storm the door. You may be seated with other people.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 02:35 PM
David A

I second IL Latini,be there by 7PM.<BR>Trattoria 2 caminetto on via dello studio opposite cupola entrance at duomo.

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 03:43 PM
Carin

I second Dean's suggestion for Monte Oliveto Magggiore and Montalcino!

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 04:25 PM
Dean

Carin<BR><BR>the Blue guide lists another il sodoma fresco cycle in S.Anna which is north of Pienza and south of Castelmuzio and Trequanda. If it s anything like Monte Olivets it must be amazing. Its his first work. My wife and I will see it this summer.

Old Dec 29th, 2001, 11:25 AM
Carin

Thanks, Dean!

Old Dec 29th, 2001, 11:30 AM
Book Chick

Hi Pat,<BR>Check out "Da Noi" at 46 r via Fiesolana. It is small (read that as "intimate") & because of the limited number of tables, you should probably reserve ahead.<BR><BR>Another place off the Piazza della Signoria is "Il Cavallino". More casual than "Da Noi", good food, good service & nice atmosphere.<BR><BR>Buon Appetito & Buon Viaggio!<BR>BC

Old Dec 30th, 2001, 09:44 AM
FED

I've found something interesting through the web page web.tiscalinet.it/5terre

Old Dec 30th, 2001, 10:09 AM
Marilyn

Try LaMarrema off the Santa Croce square on Verde street. A local man in a leather shop recommended it. It is wonderful. (They are closed on Wednesday.) They have a ravioli with walnut sauce that is excellent. Marilyn

Old Dec 30th, 2001, 10:48 AM
Annie

A good day trip from Florence is Lucca, and it is easy to get to by bus.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 05:14 AM
Pat

Thanks to all of you for great suggestions. We leave tonight for Florence and look forward to finding all the neat places you have given us. I had never been on this web site until recently and find it to be an incredible resource for novice travelers. Thanks