Flood Damage in Britain?

Nov 4th, 2000, 12:15 AM
Kerryanne

Flood Damage in Britain?

Just wondering if any lovely people from Britain can give me some advice about the flood damage from the recent storms. I know from past experience here in Australia the devastation this can do and the scars it can leave on the land. We are about to book our tour for April/May next year to travels throughout Britain, and as we are going not only to view the historic sites but the beautiful scenery we are worried if our trip which will probably be our one and only, would be not so enjoyable. Knowing you are about to go into your winter and we are intending to arrive by April 15th, it doesnt leave much time for regrowth.... at least that's what I think. HELP! we are not sure what to do....

Nov 4th, 2000, 12:44 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors

Oh yes, April and May will be fine. First, Scotland is untouched, amd that's a lot of beautiful country, towns, and cities. Second, the one obviously touristy spot on the damage list is York, but that leaves Chester, Bath, Canterbury, Warwick, London, and plenty more untouched. There is disporder in East Sussex and West Kent, which leaves West Sussex (Chichester, say) and East Kent (Dover, say) fine.

They'll rewrite the timetables by then to show slower trains and Sunday closures due to work on the lines, but the trains will run. After the comparabole 1953 floods in eastern England everything was back in place in three months.

Please write if I can help further. How long does recovery take in Australia ?

Ben Haines, London

Nov 4th, 2000, 01:49 AM
Elizabeth White

Don't worry about it! There is damage, but it's not too bad. It's just such a surprise for us to have such bad weather, that the news media make a big thing of it - it's nowhere near as bad as you might have imagined.

For those whose houses have been flooded, yes, it is a real problem, but the vast majority of the country is untouched.

Nov 4th, 2000, 06:52 PM
Kerryanne

Ben and Elizabeth, thankyou for your replys. Have to admit the news coverage and reading the BBC pages on the net, show lots of damage. We are booking a the Trafalgar Grand Tour of Britain and Ireland and also want to be able to have another 4 days touring by ourselves throughout the Cotwolds and Peak District. Can I also ask, how much would it cost to fill say a small car like a Corsa or Astra? We've heard your fuel prices there are seriously expensive. Many thanks for your replys you've been very helpful.

Nov 5th, 2000, 06:40 AM
Jane

Here's a link to some pictures of York taken yesterday: www.deepwater.uklinux.net/floods.html and the city of York page has updates on the clear-up: www.york.gov.uk/whatsnew/index.html

Nov 5th, 2000, 04:35 PM
Joan Doyle

Dear Kerryanne: I think you're worrying unnecessarily this far in advance (especially if you'll be on a tour for most of your visit). I'm leaving for London myself in two days and my sister, a longtime London resident, says the roads in the west are rather badly flood
-ed but the big worry is petrol: all the petrol stations in her part of London were closed this week-end; and--to make things jollier--another contributor to this site mentioned Saturday that the truckers are planning a strike (which will interrupt grocery deliveries for one thing). But we hope all this sort of thing will be behind us by the time you get here and that you'll have a wonderful time. Joan