Flights from rome to venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be going to Italy April 3rd landing April 4th and coming home April 13th. We are flying into and out of Rome. Would like to see Rome, Florence, and Venice. It seems like alot in that time period so we were thinking of flying from Rome to Venice on the 4th and then work our way back to Rome via train. Is this feasible, how often do flights go from Rome to Venice, and what is the difference in price between train and plane? How long is the train from Rome to Venice? Also is this a busy time of year and what does a nice room go for (3 to 4 stars)?
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 11:41 AM

Unless Easter falls in there, I think those are midseason/shoulder season dates.

Volareweb used to fly between Rome and Venice for a cheap price, but is now kaput. I doubt it will revive by April. Alitalia undoubtedly flies this route, so check their prices. Check http://www.whichbudget in case there is some other alternative.

I presume you don't have any choice about flying in/out of Rome, because otherwise an open-jaw ticket would work great.

As for a nice double room, it depends on so many things - so say between 100 and 250 Euros (more or less). But 100 is probably optimistic unless you go for a convent.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 11:47 AM

You can check the Alitalia and Trenitalia sites for info. I think flying takes a little over 1 hour, and train via Eurostar (which I did) takes about 4-1/2 hours.

Can't tell you the prices because they change, have specials, etc.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 12:19 PM

With nine nights I would suggestjust two cities, Rome and Florence. It takes a bit of effort to travel either by train or plane and eats up more time than just the actual train/plane journey.

Rome and Florence are just 90 minutes apart by Eurostar so they are an easy combination. Venice is 2.5 hours by train from Florence, then you have to do the vaporetto thing and it really takes up a bit of time.

Just a thought.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 12:23 PM
rex

I totally disagree with the idea to omit Venice from a 9 night itinerary. Yes, it always takes some time to get into Venice and out of it. And it always will.

4 nights Rome; the other five divided between Florence and Venice as per dictates of your budget and interests.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 01:34 PM
ira

I go with Rex, except that I would do 4 nights Florence and take a daytrip to Siena.

You can fly into Venice and out of Rome for about the same price as RT to Rome.