Flights from Crete to Mykonos

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friends and I are traveling next summer, June 30-July 10th and we were hoping to visit Crete, Mykonos, and Santorini in that order. That said, we do not want to spend an entire day on a boat from Crete to Mykonos. Is anyone aware of flights between Crete and Mykonos during busy season and what carrier they would be on.

Thanks
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 07:00 PM
wug

Unfortunately, there are very few flights between islands. You usually have to fly back to Athens first and then to the other island. You mention that you want to visit Crete, Mykonos and Santorini, in that order. Since you will need to either purchase flights back to Athens or you'll need to take ferries, I would suggest you switch Mykonos and Santorini. Take the ferry from Crete to Santorini and then ferry Santorini to Mykonos and then fly from Mykonos to Athens. That would make the best use of your time. Also, that keeps you from have such a long ferry ride. That time of year you should have quite a few options as far as ferry times to choose from.
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 08:05 PM

www.skyexpress will have flights between Crete, Santorini and Mykonos during the summer months.
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 08:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another option would be to travel on an overnight ferry from Crete to Piraeus, then get a ferry once you arrive to Mykonos. We booked a cabin on an overnight ferry from Crete and were pleasantly surprised, the room had a shower and toilet and twin beds and the ship had decent facilities, though we didn't use any as we left Chania late and arrived in Piraeus early. That way you save a night's hotel accommodation and still get to visit Santorini last.

By the way, you may already know this but the views of Santorini as you arrive and leave are spectacular but if you are inside a Seajet you won't see much at all. First time we arrived by Seajet (catamaran) and only got glimpses but the second time we were up on deck on a ferry and the views were truely awesome.

Kay
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 01:24 AM

The reason there are so few inter-island flights is because there is little or no advantage over a ferry. Although flying time is shorter, transfers to/from the airport, check-in an hour before the flight, and wait for baggage make total travel time little different from a ferry. FlyingCat 4 takes 2 hrs 5 min from Heraklion to Santorini, and 2 hrs 35 min from Santorini to Mykonos. See http://www.ferries.gr/hfd/

Catamarans from Crete to Mykonos stop at Santorini first. If I'm not mistaken, the Sky Express flights from Crete to Mykonos also stop at Santorini en route, so you will do some unnecessary backtracking by visiting Crete, Mykonos, and Santorini in that order. If you want that famous caldera view coming from Mykonos to Santorini, you will have to transfer to Blue Star at Paros, as there are no conventional ferries between the two.

Kay has an interesting idea of travelling back through Piraeus to get to Mykonos. From November to April that is the <i>only</i> way to get between the two. You would leave Crete around 10 pm, arrive at Piraeus around 5:30 am the next morning, then wait two hours for a ferry to Mykonos. The ferry would arrive on Mykonos around lunchtime.
Old Oct 29th, 2010, 07:17 AM

http://www.skyexpress.gr