Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Flights.com......I've got a bad feeling...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2003, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone please tell me these guys are legit. When I requested flights to Paris on their web site, they gave me a "reference code" along with itinerary and fare, and a note that I would get confirmation of reservations via e-mail. That was over three weeks ago. Except for a recorded message, they don't answer phones either.
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 09:37 AM

beachbum,

You might try contacting Eurolloyd, which appears to be their parent company - their site also lists a "corporate" phone number for flights.com / ELT-Express.

www.eurolloyd.com

Good luck & keep us posted!

Andre
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 09:46 AM
ira

Did you give them any money?
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 09:49 AM

Their "reference code" is either the airlines record confirmation or flights.com confirmation. Call the airline and ask. If they don't show the confirmation you have, ask them to bring up the record by your dates, flights and last name. If they show you as having an e-ticket, you're fine. Just show up with your passport in hand at the airport.
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

That's why I've got a bad feeling, ira; they've got a credit card number (but it hasn't been charged).

Thanks to Andre and BjorkChop; I'll let you know what happens.
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 04:07 PM
Maira

If you are still on time....RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN!! I bought four tickets to Rome from flights.com and had to cancel (three months prior). The agreement with flights.com stated that in case of cancellation they will charge $50/ticket. When I got my refund, flights.com has forfeited $250/PER TICKET. I called and talked to one of their principals who stated that the $50/per ticket was their penalty, BUT that the airline had also charged them with a penalty ($200/per ticket)and they had no other option, but to passed this penalty on to me. He told me flat out that there was NOTHING he could do and hanged up the phone. I called the airline (USAirways) and after a couple of pleading calls, finally got hold of a manager who pulled out the contract with flights.com. The lady stated that their contract specified a $50/penalty and that if flights.com was misrepresenting the airline policies with customers they needed to talk to flights.com. She advised me to contact flights.com and gave me the contract number, so that I could cite to the principal and let him know that I had been advised by them to resolve this with him or they would intervene. A week later after a conversation with flights.com, I received the remainder of the due balance. They acted like crooks and I would never, ever do business with them, never again.

Old Dec 17th, 2003, 04:42 PM
LAU

I would advise anyone to RUN from buying anything from flights.com. I made the mistake of buying two tickets from Newark to Milan via London from them last Nov. for an April trip. The invasion of Iraq made us uneasy to connect through London. I emailed and called and emailed and called. Never got an answer. When I did, I asked about the policy all airlines were extending to travelers who changed their mind.
I was told "no problem" by flights.com. "Just call us with your new itnerary and we'll issue tickets." Hah! When I called back they said "that policy doesn't apply to your tickets." This they knew when I made the first call. The tickets would be $2400 each.
After being avoided and lied to for several days, I called the airline and cancelled the tickets myself. I have a credit with BA but have to reticket with those jerks.
I can't stress enough that they are masters of avoiding your call, not calling you back and lying to their clients.
Never again. I will research costs and then call the airlines from now on.
LAU
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 08:49 PM
JonJon

If you used a credit card your liability with them or any other company for "non delivery of goods and services" is $50...

Old Dec 17th, 2003, 09:05 PM

How does that work if you've already paid your credit card bill? Do they credit your account for the difference or are you SOL?
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 03:24 AM

While it definitely sounds like customer service at flights.com is seriously lacking, the complaint voiced by Maira seems unjustified IMHO. Flights.com's terms &amp; conditions clearly mention a 25$ per ticket processing fee for cancellations <i>in addition</i> to whatever charges the airline levies.

Still, they seem to be singularly uncooperative and hard to reach - thanks for the heads up!

Andre
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 04:10 AM

But Andre, wasn't the complaint that flights.com told her the airline was charging a $200 penalty per ticket and when she called the airline she found out they only charge $50? Yea, in that case, I'd think she has something to complain about.
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 06:44 AM
ira

&gt;If you used a credit card your liability with them or any other company for &quot;non delivery of goods and services&quot; is $50&lt;

&gt; How does that work if you've already paid your credit card bill? Do they credit your account ...&lt;

The good thing about credit cards is that the CC company will investigate your complaint. If you are being ripped off, they credit your account if it has been charged.
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Looks like my bad feeling is confirmed... Thanks for the heads up, Maira and LAU.

So...they've got my reservation request and my credit card number, but they haven't charged my card; they don't respond to e-mails or phone calls.....I wonder how (or if) I should cancel my reservation request, and/or how to prevent them from charging my card...
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 07:24 AM

I haven't tried this myself, but what if you cancel your card?
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 07:37 AM
ira

Hi beachbum,

Did you check with the airline to see if they had a booking for you? If you are not booked, call the credit card company.

Tell them the problem, that you want to cancel the order, and that you want them to not honor the charge.

At the very least, that will get flights.com to call you.
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 08:09 AM
Tat

Common,
call your card and ASK.
Hurry....
Old Dec 20th, 2003, 04:07 AM
Maira

Andre, your statement would hold water IF that what was stated on the e-mailed RULES and CONDITIONS issued by flights.com back then (2001). BECAUSE it was NOT stated as such, was why I GOT MY MONEY BACK. If they issued that statement now, I gathered they have learned from it.

Old Dec 20th, 2003, 09:50 AM

Maira,

Indeed, in that case I totally agree with your complaint!

Sure sounds like flights.com should be avoided... hope beachbum can still work things out.

Andre
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 12:30 PM

Beachbum: I'm in the same pickle. I thought I'd bought tickets on December 11th, but my card hasn't been charged, either. I just e-mailed them instructing them not to charge the card (that's what the credit card people said to do.) Have you done or heard anything recently?
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 02:09 PM

Followup... I just called the airline and they said I have reservations. At this point I don't want the tickets anymore, so I cancelled the reservation. Hope I've done the right thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -