Search

Flight & evening wear

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2003, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flight & evening wear

Ladies,
What is the best outfit to wear on a flight that originates in Austin TX in the early afternoon and ends in Dublin, via Gatwick, the afternoon of the next day? Also, what shall I take to wear on evening when I am 'dining' out?
Thanks
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 04:54 PM

For the flight...

Layers, so that you can modify things as conditions dictate. Flights are often kept chilly so that people will sleep (and the blanket helps people sleep), but it'll have been hot in Austin and probably (though not necessarily) cooler once you're across the pond. Stretchy fabrics (lycra makes cotton an option if you like it) and non-binding waistbands, shoes that are comfortable (lacking an iron shank unless you want to take them off at the security checkpoint), no bra if you can get away with it (knit camisoles with shelf bras are great) as underwires can set off security.

A flight can seem suddenly VERY hot if you encounter turbulence and are the least bit sensitive to motion sickness. Take off as much as you can and turn the fan on, as the cooler you are the less nauseated you'll feel.

As for dining out, absolutely anything you'd like.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 04:57 PM
Bootman4U

Xena..what do you wear when you fly from Austin to any other city that takes several hours? What do you wear when you are dining out in Austin?

Old Apr 26th, 2003, 05:06 PM

i wear a sweat suit on long flights. it's comfy, warm, fashionable, and you can remove the jacket when you get too hot.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 05:09 PM
jor

Is your "outfit" more important than where you are going? You do not know what travel is all about.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 05:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My underwire bra set off the metal detector in Frankfurt!!!

Just FYI--- lol.

Michelle
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 06:57 PM

Michelle, burn the bra and be FREE>>
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 07:17 PM

ireland tends to be damper and cooler than where you are from so layers is a good option...including something warm although you will find zillions of sweaters to buy...natural fabrics are always best to wear anyplace while travelling....
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 09:42 PM

I like to wear those long, non-binding dresses that are SUPPOSED to be wrinkled in a darkish print (to hide any dirt or stains possibly picked up enroute). BTW, These dresses are easy to wash & dry and are supposed to be packed twisted to keep the wrinkles). Over this I wear a black cardigan sweater in a lightweight wool (warm, but not bulky). If I need asnother layer I have a smallish black wrap. I wear really comfy black leather sandals or slip on loafers (not too tight in case my feet swell on the long flight). I put a pair of super-warm wool socks in my bag to wear on the plane since I always freeze in the middle of the flight. I have a really nice, simple black backpack-bag that goes with everything to stow everything I need on the plane, and it keeps my hands free. If rain is in the forecast I pack a small travel umbrella. I find this travel outfit works great in most situations I've encountered. It also looks good enough to go into any, but the fanciest of restaurants.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 10:00 PM

I've read this thing about underwired bras on this forum before, but I always wear one and have never set off the security machine, despite passing through countless airports in Europe and Asia.

I wonder if it's down to the sensitivity of the machine, or whether the wires are made of a different metal in the US than the ones we buy in Europe?
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 04:41 AM
ira

Hi Xena,
My wife says, pack light; bring what you would wear in Austin and buy Irish wool sweaters, shawls, etc when you get there.
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 05:03 AM

Some underwire bras have plastic underwire and so no alarms. I have found wearing the plastic ones makes a big difference in my travel life.
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 05:15 AM

Hi xena

While going through security last year in Las Vegas, the wand beeped at my back, the security lady said it was the snaps on my bra!
When we went through security recently in Fla, I told one of the TSA people working the security and she said it depends on how close to your body they hold the wand. Most know now to not hold it that close to your bra
My watch made it beep too, and they immediately pushed my sleeve up to look!
Wear as little metal as you can manage I think~
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 06:02 AM

The machines vary, so what sets off one may not set off another. Just how much wire is in a bra will also make a difference: the more amply endowed among us are likely to require more wire. A friend/colleague with whom I travel frequently has this problem and finally just bought a sports bra for travel. No problems ever since.
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 06:48 AM

my bra set off the detector in Frankfort too. Having a German matron dig around in my shirt was a very interesting experience.
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 07:33 AM

There are clothes made with a fabric called 'slinky knit' that is wrinklePROOF (completely), stretchy, and incredibly comfortable. You can ball one of these items in a corner, leave it for a week, and it will be wrinkle free and ready to wear. They are also very dressy with just a scarf... I swear by these... Also, peachskin clothes are the same without the stretch, they look and feel like silk.
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who gave good suggestions. Apologies to those I offended by the question.
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 11:58 AM
LN

Xena

Wear comfortable clothes so that you can relax, take your shoes off, and perhaps take a nap. Have some little towelettes in your pocket to wipe your face with when you get to Ireland.

Ireland is very, very laid back and slacks, skirts, jackets, dresses, anything is very appropriate at dinnertime. Their pubs are more like restaurants and are so very enjoyable. Been there twice and there's nothing like it (Australia comes pretty darn close tho)
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 03:34 PM

Xena: I have flown long distances a lot of times, and I would recommend that you wear a skirt rather than pants on the plane. You will be using a lot of publc and very small bathrooms; it is not long into a trip before the floors become very wet. I really hate dragging my pants legs through whatever that is!
Old May 3rd, 2003, 09:36 AM

Wear and pack only your loosest shoes. I knew that my feet would swell on the plane and shoes that come off for sleeping sometimes don't go back on! I surprised that they either stayed swollen or continued to swell from all the walking for an entire weeklong vacation. I had to stop at a shoe store near the British Museum and buy something loose and comfortable just so I could finish the trip. Talk about toting around unnecessary items. 2 pair of suddenly-too-tight shoes and then a new pair.

Beany

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -