Flemingo in Malaga and Seville

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be visiting both cities in April. Can anyone recommend a cheap evening of Flemingo at either place.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, pardon my spelling! I meant flamenco!
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 04:35 AM

You can go through my trip report for 3 different flamenco locations that we tried at Seville.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...n-portugal.cfm

You must visit the "La Carboneria" one; other two are also very good and different.
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 05:23 AM
yk

I also saw flamenco at Casa de la Memoria in Seville (indiancouple mentioned it in the trip report). It is one of the more affordable flamenco shows.

Here is what I wrote:

The flamenco show starts at 9pm. Being right next door, I left my room at 8:40pm. I swear that the guy yesterday told me the doors open 20 minutes before showtime. When I entered, the venue was 80% full!!! I am sure it opened much earlier.

Fortunately, since I'm by myself, it's much easier to find a single seat with good view than 2 seats together. I ended up in the 2nd row center (there are only 3 rows, but those in the back row had to stand during the performance to see well).

That night's show featured 3 performers: 1 guitarist, 1 male singer, and 1 female dancer. I thought the guitarist and the dancer were excellent. Well, beyond excellent. The singer though, I don't know. He sings from the back of his throat (a no-no for singers) and when he wants to sing loud, it sounded like he was screaming. Also, he must have been singing a really sad, heart-wrenching song because his facial expression the whole time was of a wrinkled face like he was about to cry.

I have never seen flamenco dancing before (nor seen any of those Dancing with the Stars show on TV), so I don't know what to expect. But the footwork the dancer demonstrated was simply out of this world. When she was dancing, I could tell every member of the audience was sitting at the edge of the seat. The 1-hour show went by very quickly (expect when the guy was singing). They really did a full 60-minute show.

What's different about Casa de la Memoria than the other is they feature a revolving group of artists. Each performance rotates once a week. The other venues have the same show twice a night and I guess the dancers can become rather mechanical. The other difference is the shows here are 1 hour whereas others are 2 hours.

Casa de la Memoria
c/Ximénez de Enciso, 28
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 07:05 AM

Madrid has the best flamenco dancers
Seville is #2
Barcelona #3

I wouldn't bother seeing flamenco in Malaga.

Thin
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 07:25 AM

I thought you were trying to see the migrating flamingos that visit Andalucía!
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 07:38 AM

In Malaga I can rec. you restaurant Vino Mio, though not a proper flamenco place; they offer dinner and shows along the week, mondays is flamenco. Take a look at their website http://www.restaurantevinomio.com/ . You can have a drink, have tapas; or dine for for 25 eur.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you guys for your help!
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 11:38 AM

Hi Ray, I always get all worked up & go overboard on this topic and if you click on my name there are many "sermons" where I have I have posted explanations (perhaps too intesnsely) all with good intentions of sharing information on Fodors re flamenco.

There are three main elemenets to flamenco: Cante, (song) Guitar, & dance. As accompanyment there were traditionally palmas (handclapping) maybe pitos (finger snaps) and one's knuckles used to pound out a rythm on a table.
Nowadays percussion includes the "box" cajon
as well as other instruments.Flamenco is evolving all the time.

The flamenco song is the unfortunately the least understood element of flamenco. It is actualy the most important of all.
<b>The main thing to keep in mind is this:
without the cante (singing) there is no flamenco. The guitar and the dance are important yes, but they are less crucial elements, and in this order, cante, guitarra, then el baile(dance). </B>

The singing in flamenco & the quality of a great cantaor(a) (flamenco singer) cannot be judged by the same criteria an any other type of singing. In fact the same characteristics that are considered ugly, undesirable and just wrong in other types of singing are looked upon favorably in flamenco. Just as flamenco dance is more than pretty girls in polka dot dresses (thankfully) flamenco cante (song) is alot deeper than that. This is an expression of a lifestyle.

Just one example of what is considered a "good singer"
Camaron de la Isla was age 41 when he passed away, was undisputed as one of the greatest & certainly the best of his generation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQQHt...eature=related

There are many many flamenco artists to be seen (and many do perform in Madrid yes)

Flamenco is wonderful artform. For those new to it I suggest to read & listen a bit first, it will help you enjoy it more.

1. Start here under What is flamenco?
http://www.flamenco-world.com/magazi...ce11112004.htm

Then I suggest these two other sites for as well reading interesting articles & getting info on what's happening

2, De Flamenco has great listing of places as well as good articles http://www.flamenco-world.com/magazi...ce11112004.htm

3. and this site is more commercial but more user friendly but still has a section for getting started
http://www.esflamenco.com/scripts/ne...rmIdPagina=490

4. Here is something about Malaga in Flamenco too
http://www.malagaenflamenco.com/pagina.asp?pag=191

Have a good time in Spain & hopefully you will get to experience flamenco not just watch it.

ana maria
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 06:49 AM

Hi raypffong,

There are lots of top flamenco in Málaga. The all year festival Málaga en flamenco is well under way. Here are the events in April: http://www.deflamenco.com/noticias/v...A%7C2654#abril.

There are also four excellent performances in Málaga in April as a part of the more general program of Flamenco viene del Sur (Flamenco comes from the South): http://www.deflamenco.com/noticias/v...igo=FLA%7C2644

Should I recommend anything in particular in Málaga in April, it would be these events:

03/04: Exaltación a la saeta: Singers Antonia Contreras, Bonela Hijo, Rocío Bazán and Virginia Gámez in Auditorio de la Diputación in the center of Málaga. Saetas is songs that are normally sung a capella at the nightly processions during the easter celebrations.

06/04: Por derecho propio. Milagros Mengibar, Luisa Palicio y David Pérez at the Teatro Cánovas in the center of Málaga. Three excellent dancers. Mengibar and Palicio represent two generations of the Sevilla school in flamenco dance.

14/04: Puertas adentro. El Pipa. Also at Teatro Cánovas in the center. Antonio El Pipa is a spectacular dancer, but the real gem of the evening might just as well be his aunt, Juana del Pipa, singing!

18/04: DE AQUÍ MISMO. Cuadro de baile de La Lupi (dance),
Peña El Parral (1500h). La Lupi used to be the teacher of the most exciting dancer of the current flamenco scene, Rocío Molina (also from Málaga).

22/04: De Graná. Marina Heredia (song) y Pepe Habichuela (guitar) also at Teatro Cánovas. Two generations of Granadas finest flamenco artists. Heredia is in close competition with her friend, the world famous Estrella Morente, for being the best cantaora in Granada.

29/04: Encuentros. Pedro Sierra (guitar), Junco (dance), Tobala (song), Ale Romero (piano) at Teatro Cánovas. I saw El Junco just over a week ago in the same theater, and just to see him is reason enough to go to this performance.

30/04: Rocío Bazán (song), Paco J. Jimeno and Antonio Soto (guitar), Fátima and Moisés Navarro (dance, these two are really up and coming dancers). In Casa de la Cultura in the small town of Pizarra, some 25 km north-east of Málaga city. This smells like somethinhg that can be quite special...

These are all high quality performances that draws a predominantly local and knowledgeable crowd. Should be an experience to remember! Book your seats ahead (not expensive, 10-20€), it is easy done online, and you collect your tickets at the theatre or in one of the abundant Unicaja banks.

I also add a listing of all flamenco activities in Málaga in the small clubs (peñas) etc. Excellent site and an interesting shop in the center of Málaga:
http://www.flamenka.com/html/agenda/.../abri2009.html
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 08:35 AM

Wow Kimhe what a wealth of info. I ended surfing those sites
Thanks so much.

Tell me, in which country do you live & are you a performer?

I am so happy to have you join us here!
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 09:01 AM

Hi amsdon,

I live in Norway and got introduced to flamenco in Córdoba in the beginning of the 1990's, but it really exploded after my wife and I experienced Sara Baras in Oslo and José Mercé in Nerja in 2004, developing almost into an obsession since Rocío Molina (Por el decir de la gente) and Miguel Poveda in Antequera in 2007. I am no performer but do get carried away...

Lots of highly interesting and valuable information in your comments!

Best, Kim
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 09:49 AM

"Carried away" is a good thing, a wonderful thing.
I too get carried away and I always hope that our Fodorite friends allow that to happen. With people like you here they will be able to better access, understand & appreciate the feelings for our beloved art form.

I live In California USA & while we get some touring companies it is no where like what you have in Europe.

I really appreciate these links & look forward to more from you.

ana maria