Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Fleet users, I could use your help please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 01:23 PM
M

Fleet insists that my 7 digit pin number will work in Italy on their ATMs. If I use the first four digits. I am not sure this is true. Does anyone have experience? I specifically asked for a 4-digit and was very firm, held and eventually was told that the supervisor approved the "use only your first 4 digits of the seven and you'll be fine" quip. Help. Thanks.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 02:15 PM
Arnie

I have a 6 digit pin with Fleet and using the ATM in Florence was no problem

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 02:18 PM
Bob

I cannot answer for sure but I have always been told that the majority of banks in Europe only want 4 digits. I changed my 5 digit to 4 at my bank with no problem or questions at all. If you get there and find out your friendly banker is wrong, you are toast as you have no ATM card and the banker is back in the states helping other customers. My recommendation would be to change to 4 digits and know it works for sure. Some other 7 digit poster may have a specific answer to this.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 03:02 PM
XXX

Although I sometimes have to resort to using Fleet, I find a mild laxative to be preferable.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 03:26 PM
Jenny Bell

Can anyone answer an ATM question for me? On Saturday my sister is flying to Milan (first time in Italy, on business) & wants to know if her ATM card will function there if her 4-digit pin begins with 0. Does anyone out there have experience with this?<BR>Thanks in advance!

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 03:36 PM
cj

M - I once had a four digit ATM number. Lost my card and had to get a new one. The bank insisted that I have a seven digit number, so I put three zero's at the end on my old number and walla it works everywhere. Even in Italy and Spain

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 04:31 PM
Art

Jenny, my pin starts with a 0 and I have used it in France, Spain, Hungary, the Czech Republic, Poland, Romania, Austria and Germany with no problems.<BR>

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 04:32 PM
Phil

M,<BR>As a fellow Fleet customer I should warn you that they will tack on a "Foreign Currency Conversion Fee" to your ATM withdrawal. I think that the amount was $10 last year on an ATM withdrawal I made in Paris (with my 4-digit pin.) I found that my AMEX card gave the best rate, overall, and didn't use much cash.<BR><BR>No offense to Fleet employees on this site, but I wouldn't trust the word of someone in the U.S. on foreign bank practices. She may say its fine, but unless the change in the PIN in thier system, why would a 4-digit work when you actual pin is 7 digits? That seems strange to me that their computer would allow a partial pin number to authorize a withdrawal, especially in a foreign country. Maybe you can change your PIN to 4 digits and then change it back when you return home. <BR>Good luck.<BR><BR>

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 06:03 PM
M

thanks to all the replies. fleet told me there would be a $5 charge on withdrawals made, so I might do that once or twice...lodgings are set already, so I just have to worry about food, souvenirs, and admissions. I will have a Visa credit card with me, although I know credit cards are not accepted everywhere, people on fodor's have been saying that exchanging money in Italy is my best best. Thanks for your advice! I truly appreciate all your input.