Flea Markets in Paris

Sep 19th, 2000, 05:08 PM
Karen

Flea Markets in Paris

I've read in the guide books about some flea markets in Paris that sound fun. Anyone been to any that have reasonable merchandise (no tourist t-shirts, etc.) and are frequented by the locals? If so, know the closest metro stop? Not looking for anything in particular, although are antique collectors.
Thanks...

Sep 19th, 2000, 09:01 PM
Florence

Here's an article that lists some good flea markets in Paris other areas of France.
http://www.francentral.com/features/...tr131_08.shtml

In France, buy the magazine "Antiquités et Brocante". It lists all flea markets, garage sales, brocantes, antiques shows all over France and neighbouring countries for the current month. Frequenting flea markets is a national pastime for the locals.

Sep 20th, 2000, 05:20 AM
Dianne

I enjoyed Marche aux Puces de Clignancourt at the Clignancourt metro stop. It is a huge flea market open on the week-end and Monday. We went on Monday when it was less crowded. When you leave the metro, you come to very long rows of cheap clothing and trinket stalls. At first we thought this was the famous flea market and were very disapointed. Then my friend discovered the real section! You must walk through the tourist section, cross another main street, and then bear to the left up another street (sorry I don't remember the names of the streets). You then will come across little winding back streets of French antiques that seem to go on forever. There is also a clothing section there which my daughter went to but I didn't. I had never seen so many beautiful antiques concentratd in one section before!

Sep 20th, 2000, 01:15 PM
Karen

Thanks, Dianne. That's EXACTLY what I'm looking for!

Sep 21st, 2000, 05:35 PM
Janet

I too was trying to get past the tourist trickets and plastic junk. If you exit the underground and head left on the main street until you come to the overpass, the antique market is in towards your left.

It does not open till after 9am. I bought a lovely piece of lace just to have a nice reminder of my visit.

You might also try the Passages, those 18th-19th century covered shopping areas. Not too many antiques but lovely stores and lovely atmosphere.

Enjoy

Sep 21st, 2000, 06:27 PM
Clairobscur

Diane made a good point. A lot of people believe that the "marche aux puces" is only the part you see from the main street. In fact, I believe there's 4 or 5 sections, some of them a little bit away from the main one.I'll add there's a "marche aux puces" in Montreuil, too (metro Porte de Montreuil), which is closer to a real "flea market" (no permanent shops, any kind of stuff usually cheap, from contact-socket to furnitures...).