Reload this Page >

flash-less cameras

Search

flash-less cameras

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 01:56 PM
lovestravel

flash-less cameras

What's a good flash-less under $150 to take to Europe so I may take photos in all of the wonderful museums? I know next to nothing about cameras.I have a good Ricoh 35mm but has a flash.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 02:24 PM
Mary Jayne

Hi. I too have a Ricoh camera with flash, however one of the modes it offers is turning off the flash and that is the mode I used whenever in the churches or places where it said no flash. Maybe yours too has this option, if you have the manual. Works just fine. Good luck.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 03:14 PM
greg

I suspect that you probably use your Ricoh 35mm in full automatic mode including when to fire the flash? As Mary Jane says, you probably have to set to "less" automatic mode (each company has its own terminology) that let you control whether you want to use flash or not.<BR><BR>One thing I do not like about my Elph 370 is that while I can turn off flash after I turn on the camera, the flash comes back on when I turn off then on the camera. So I always have to remember to turn the flash off after I turn on the camera. I believe the manufacture's logic is that flash mode should be set to on as a default. It works well most of the time, but in museums it does not work well at all.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 04:28 PM
tom

Every camera I know of allows you to override the flash. You don't want a "Flashless" camera because there are times you will need it. But inside any restricted places, just turn off your flash.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 04:34 PM
Sonney

Another thought is to purchase the 24 exposure rolls but with a higher ASA setting which will give you a faster film and reduce your need for flash. A little practice with this and a time delay should fix you up.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 05:56 PM
lovestravel

Thanks for the advice, I told you I'm an idiot when it comes to cameras. Now if I could figure out how to turn the flash off!

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 06:06 PM
Leslie

If you can't figure it out on your own, try going to the Ricoh web site, or Ritz Camera or something similar. If you can't find the instructions there, bring the camera into a camera shop and have one of the sales people help you out. I understand the complications of cameras -- just bought a new Pentax SLR MX80, and I spent hours reading the manual. So far it looks idiot-proof, but I haven't taken it with me on vacation yet.