Fishing in Ireland?

Nov 30th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Fishing in Ireland?

I'm wondering about experiences folks have had fishing in Ireland. I had hoped to get out trout fishing for a day when we were there, but it didn't work out. Near the end of our trip, we heard of a small fishing shop in Donegal Town, and so went in to check it out. It was a charming little place, and we saw an ad there about a fishing boat out of Killybegs. We (my wife and I and two teen-age daughters) made the arrangements by phone, choosing to do a two-hour evening trip, rather that a day-long one. The cost was about 20 euro each. The boat carried 10 people fishing. They were all, except us, locals who fished there weekly. We had a great time, caught lots of fish, and really enjoyed the company. It's a great memory for us all.

I'd like to fish there again some day. Does anybody have any fish stories to share?
Dec 1st, 2005, 09:14 PM

ttt
Dec 2nd, 2005, 01:11 AM

A friend of mine does trout fishing in the Fergus river near Ennis, Co. Clare. No boat, waders!

The river Moy (Co. Mayo) boasts being the place where more Salmon are caught by hook & line than anywhere else (in the world??) I could believe that when I was going into Ballina from the BrigOwn B&B (on the Quay): The bridge was lined with fishermen almost shoulder to shoulder. I learned later that if I wanted to salmon-fish I would have to hire a ghilley. My total cost for such an outing would have been about 100 Euro. It would have been a once-in-a-lifetime experience but I had to pass.
Dec 2nd, 2005, 07:15 AM

Fishing is one of my passions; I'm currently researching trout fishing in Chile or (being a Francophile) in France. I did some deep sea-fishing many years ago in Scotland--not much to it, as you drop the bait deep in the waters off a boat and then pull the line up periodically to assess your possible catch of cod or mackeral. I sometimes will venture out in a sea kayak on Maine's coast on calm days, and fly fish for stripers from the kayak. That's fun, but I sometimes worry that I'll hook something big and find myself on a Nantucket sleigh ride back across the Atlantic. Fly-fishing along the tidal rivers is a little calmer!

I've flyfished for bone fish in the Bahamas, and that's maybe the toughest, because you're often casting into the wind and bonefish require pinpoint delivery of the fly. A couple of feet away is too far and they won't bother with your fly; right on top of them spooks them and they dart off at about 60 mph.Meanwhile, you're guide is sighing in the background as you tangle your line and miss yet anothe golden opportunity. Too much stress to what should be a stress-reducing expedition!

The only fishing that I've heard much about in Ireland is the fly-fishing using the long poles. I've had people describe it to me, but never done it. I'm not surethat they use reels but just whip the line into the water, but I could be wrong on that score. You might research that if you're headed back to Ireland to fish.

Tight lines!

letour
Dec 2nd, 2005, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Anybody else have experience with fishing in Ireland? NEDSIRELAND, may I ask what a "ghilley" would be? I have a McKenzie River drift boat, which is a type of dory for river fishing. Is it something like that?
Dec 2nd, 2005, 09:43 AM

I think a ghillie might be the person who takes you out in the boat.
In Scotland they actually have the boat roped to a post on the Spey and you are only allowed to drift and fish that far.
Hey, we used to have a wooden McKenzie River drift boat which we took out on the McKenzie 25 years ago!
Dec 2nd, 2005, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Hopingtotravel: Yeah, that's it, although my drift boat is metal. Take it on the McKenzie and the Rogue, amongst others. Thanks for the definition. I'd hate to make a bigger fool of myself than usual.
Dec 3rd, 2005, 01:15 AM

Like hopingtotravel writes: The Ghilley is a guide who takes you out in a boat, helps you & makes sure you adhere to regulations (i.e., size of 'keepers,' number of Salmon you are alowed etc.). I think they are licensed ...

The title derives from 'gill' as on the fish (also the place on the fish where you hold & 'tag' your Salmon catch).

There are a couple of low-water dams on the Moy river in Ballina that look like promising places for wade-fishing. They don't seem to stop the Salmon; there are more Salmon fishing guides for several miles further south along the Moy (which runs South to North, like the Nile, the Rhine and the Monongahela).

You don't have to compete with Bears when Salmon-fishing in Ireland (as with some places in the Pacific NW, Canada & Alaska). To the best of my knowledge, there are no free-range Bears in Ireland.
Dec 5th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Nedsireland. Great info. Fortunately, after their loss to the Ducks, the bears (Cal) have left the Northwest for a while.

I would reiterate that, if anybody's looking for a fun and simple fishing experience from a boat, the route we took was great. The captain and other folks on the boat were a lot of fun. I would like to go looking for one of those Irish salmon sometime, however.
Dec 5th, 2005, 04:42 PM

Mexico beachbum! We were there! Watching the Bears get defeated. This is only of interest because we actually live in Alaska. Go Ducks!
Dec 6th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Hopingtotravel: We were there, as well. You must have felt right at home in that weather, being from AK. Here's to a Duck victory at the Holiday Bowl over Oklahoma!
Dec 6th, 2005, 04:16 PM

Hi. Sorry to have contrtibuted to "off topic" on this, so will mention that : Ballynahinch Castle has nearby trout fishing they can arrange as do several lodges on the Blackstone River (Longueville House, for one).
Mexicobeachbum, during 3 different times in my life I've lived in Eugene, and we, (of course) are Ducks. People keep telling me the Ducks got gypped when they picked the bowl games. PS, that rain didn't come from up here! Just recently we had -4, with a nice, crunchy 18" of snow and beautifully flocked trees.