Search

Fish & Chips

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 08:28 AM
Alicia

Fish & Chips

We will be in London for a few days in search of the city's best fish and chips, any suggestions or recommendations? Thank you.

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 08:40 AM
janine

There is a place in Bloomsbury (just a little hole in the wall, just a carryout) called North Sea. It's always packed, for good reason.

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 08:43 AM
Jim

Alicia: <BR> <BR>Geales by Nottingham Gate <BR>Sea Shell <BR>Rock and Sole Plaice-Covent Garden <BR> <BR> <BR>These are the ones that are usually given as good.

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 09:38 AM
Sue

A second for Geales on 2, Farmer Street behind (north?) the Notting Hill tube stop. I was disappointed with North Sea.

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 08:24 PM
Q.P.

The North Sea Fish Restaurant in Bloomsbury that I ate in last summer (at 8 Leigh St.) is not a hole-in-the-wall takeaway place at all--though of course you can get carryout if you like--but quite a nice sit-down restaurant. It has some of the best fish and chips I've ever tasted, and a large variety of other seafood. An easy and pleasant walk from the British Museum. <BR> <BR>Q.P.

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 04:23 AM
Judy

Hello All, thanks for fish chips info, I truly love good fish and chips! Judy

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 08:14 AM
Leigh

Anywhere that's BUSY -- just walk in. Busy is good for two reasons: locals like it, and the food hasn't been sitting around getting old. <BR> <BR>"Famous" fish places tend to lose charm because they're too busy being touristy. Anywhere that the oil soaks through the newspaper is the kind of place I like. <BR> <BR>One other note: they sometimes have great "pickles" at F&C places, but make sure you're getting pickled cucumber and not pickled onions or eggs!

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 08:20 AM
SharonM

What kind of fish is usually served with "fish and chips" or does it vary greatly?

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 10:39 AM
fishy

It's usually cod, plaice or lemon sole (although I believe cod is becoming an endangered breed!)

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 10:52 AM
Mike

Haddock is also popular - certainly in parts of Yorkshire it's all you will be offered. <BR> <BR>Down south, staples of the trade used to include things like huss and rock salmon, but I haven't seen them for years.

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 12:26 PM
kam

Geales was good, but it's been years.

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 03:56 PM
Tom

The Fryer's Delight. I ate there two weeks ago and it hasn't missed a step. Its about three blocks from the High Holborn tube station.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 02:44 PM
Tony

To the top for new poster.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 03:06 PM
Gloria

I second the plug for North Sea. I isn't a hole-in-the-wall restaurant but, does offer limited seating. Reservations are recommended. We have eaten there several times and never been disappointed. <BR>(For a change from the fisn 'n chips, try Dionysis (sp?) for great Greek food at the Tottenham Court stop! Wonderful food! One of my husband's favorite resaturants in the world.) <BR>Have a wonderful trip! <BR>Gloria