Fish & Chips .....

Search

Fish & Chips .....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2004, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fish & Chips .....

can anyone tell me where "the best f & c" in London are?
I heard that the Sea Grill at Harrod's was probably a good bet ... speaking of Harrod's, is that a must see if one has only 6 hours in London?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 02:21 PM

My personal favorite is Rock and Sole Plaice on Endell (near LongAcre) in Covent Garden. In nice weather you sit outside at picnic tables, and they offer up to six or seven choices of fish.
People rave about Geale's in Notting Hill, which we found awful, after we finally got our order which they lost!
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 02:30 PM

Do a search for fish and chips on here. There are SEVERAL threads... I know - because I wrote one of them
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 02:33 PM

I almost forgot, I also asked that question on chowhound.

http://www.chowhound.com/boards/intl/intl.html

An easy way to find it is hit CTRL + F and type in "Fish and chips"

Old Aug 31st, 2004, 02:59 PM

<i>&quot;speaking of Harrod's, is that a must see if one has only 6 hours in London?&quot;</i>

Definitely not! If you had six days, maybe. 6 hours is not much time to see anything in London. Don't waste it at Harrods.

Old Aug 31st, 2004, 04:36 PM

I second the recommendation for the Rock and Sole Plaice. They definitely have the best fish n' chips I've ever had in London.

I also agree that Harrod's is definitely not a must see if you have only 6 hours in London.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 06:23 PM

I wasn't going to mention this because I wasn't sure how &quot;sacred&quot; Harrods is to some people on here ... but now it looks like I can express myself freely:

As you know, the guy who owns Harrods now is the father of the man who died with Princess Diana. He is trying to cash in on it. I am sorry to say it, but it is true. He has a HUGE shrine to them in the store. (It is disgusting)

Not only that, his vanity is disgusting as well. He spent $$$$ to make a sculpture of himself as a Pharoah (sp?) as part of the &quot;Egyptian Escalator area

Then let's not forget that it cost 1GBP to use the toilet! and even more money to check your bag (packbacks/rucksacks/big purses - no matter how small- have to be checked in)

And everything is overpriced.

(The Harrods of today is not the same Harrods it was years ago. But like a comfortable shoe, people just don't want to let it go)

It just isn't worth it!!!
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 12:25 AM

I really loved Geale's when I went there, the service was incredible and the fish was lovely. I'm sure that, due to all the recommendations on this board, it's probably become much more touristy, though.

Earlier this year I went to Jack Horner's, which is near the Tottenham Court Road stop. It was highly recommended by a hotel concierge--before you balk, keep in mind I grilled him on whether HE would eat there, and he swore he would because he'd be able to get a pint during his lunch break. I had fish but substituted mash for chips and it was very nice. It was huge, though, and could have fed 2-3 people. The place looked like it was frequented by locals and tourists alike so it should be good.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 12:36 AM

How about trying the 'Sea Fresh' on Wilton. Near Victoria Station. &quot;Best&quot; will depend on the cook that is working at the time. Most important is the quality and temperature of the cooking oil. Many shops are using fish caught the day before. Sunday and Monday may not be the best days to order F&amp;C. Comment anyone?
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 12:43 AM

Agreed that Harrod's is a waste of time - Londoners don't shop there, it's strictly for tourists, and Muhammad Al Fayed is a tax dodging crook.

However, it actually ISN&quot;T overpriced compared to most department stores. My father supplies goods to Harrods, and says their mark-ups aren't nearly as high as standard stores. The goods are expensive because they're expensive, not because they're in Harrods.

However, when all's said and done, it's just a department store. Of all the things to do in London, it's got to be way down the list, unless shopping is a fetish. And it certainly isn't the place to get true fish and chips - the working class staple!
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 04:44 AM

I'm not much of a shopper so I can't comment too much on the goods there, except that a number of years ago I picked up a Baccarrat crystal &quot;animal&quot; that was less expensive than anywhere else I had priced it -- yet seemingly wasn't on sale there.

But no one mentioned the food halls -- that's what makes Harrods worth a walk through if anything does.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 05:08 AM
aj

I will &quot;second&quot; the food halls at Harrod's. I would tell any one to put it on the list of things to see in London.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 05:26 AM

Geales at Notting Hill Gate has long been a fovorite of mine . . as is SeaShells on Lisson Grove. SeaShells is the larger of the two and somewhat easier to get a table . . also has take-a-way . . notice all the London Cabbies out front!

Enjoy . . Rich
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 06:56 AM

Seashell on Lisson Grove gets my vote - my husband is taking a solo business trip next month to London and I've asked hium to sneak some home for me on the plane (do you think it would smell too bad?)
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 07:56 AM

North Sea Fish Bar in Leigh St in Bloomsbury - Accept no substitute. (apart from Brady's in Wandsworth of course - but that's a bit of the beaten track).

If you are familiar with the British (brilliant) comedy &quot;Black Books&quot; - that is shot in Leigh St.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 08:07 AM

To FromAtlanta - forgive me for being picky about your comments about Harrods, but I did want to update your info - the narcissistic statues of Harroods' owner al-Fayed depict him as the Sphinx, not Pharoah, and they have scrapped the &pound;1 fee for the loo, probably due to the complaints from tourists. (There's still a charge for bag checking but you do not HAVE to check them. You can carry them with you if they're not tatty looking. The last time I was there (April 2004) I did check my bag because it was heavy and I didn't want to lug it around. The bag check counter was actually rather difficult to find.) So think what you will about the store and it's owner, but at least you don't have to pay to pee there anymore.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 09:33 AM

Fish and Chips: I agree Patrick. Geale's has to be the worst. GSteed: SeaFresh on Wilton is definitelt our favorite. A bit of a walk from Victoria but worth it . You are right about the quality etc. but SeaFresh has hardy ever been a disappointment.
Harrods: Forget it!!!
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 09:53 AM

Daisy54,
Thank you for letting me know that info! I remember asking one of the sales people if they had a &quot;less luxurious toilet&quot; I could use, and they gave me the coldest look!

About the statue, I actually meant sphinx. Sometimes what I see in my mind and what word my brain decides to interpret don't always match. quot;&gt;

I HATED having to check in my bag. - If I don't have to anymore, then I will probably go to Harrods again. (I guess I am one of those people who can't let it go) - I do enjoy the food hall - but I never gave the food halls at any other store a lok. I heard some of them were just as nice.

I agree that my comment about being &quot;over priced&quot; wasn't entirely fair ... I was mostly thinking of having to spend the money to check in my bag (which is always a nice looking bag!) plus having to pay to use the toilet ... I am so happy about the news!

Old Sep 1st, 2004, 10:01 AM

True fish and chips should NOT IMO be a gourmet or expensive experience. It doesn't feel right to me tucking into fish and chips in Harrods.

The real joy of eating fish and chips is out of paper strolling along the street. Good fish and chips shops in central london are scarce.

Fish and Chips made to a traditional recipe can be found at Harry Ramsdens (a chain that developed from a v famous yorkshire restaurant) which is just off Picadilly Circus below the Regent Palace hotel.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 10:13 AM

If you want real fish and chips, with a view, try The Grapes Pub on Narrow Street. It's out near Canary Wharf and overlooks the Thames. I have family who live in the neighbourhood and we hit the Grapes as soon as we get off the plane. They get voted as one of the best seafood resaurants in London all the time. They have an upstairs and down. The upstairs is more upscale and pricey, but downstairs you always chance running into Sir Ian McKellan who lives next door.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -