Reload this Page >

First visit to Europe

Search

First visit to Europe

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 1998, 07:30 AM
Randy

First visit to Europe

Okay, imagine that you've never been to Europe! Now imagine that you have 2-3 days to spend there when you fly from the US to India. Where would you go? I'm flying into Frankfurt in the last week of October, and would like to spend some time in Italy, Germany or France. But any other ideas are welcome too. Any advice on how to get there and where to stay, what to see, etc. would be appreciated

Old Oct 8th, 1998, 08:32 AM
Lee

Randy: Since you will be flying into Frankfurt and only have 2-3 days, I'd stay right there. <BR> <BR>You could rent a car at the airport and drive into Frankfurt. Stay at a hotel there (I could provide an idea) and see Sachsenhausen, the Romer and other areas, giving you a good flavor of the city, both old and new. You could take a day trip and drive east on autobahn A3 to Wurzburg and take autobahn A7 south to Rothenburg. A touristy, but quaint and perfect walled medieval town on the Tauber River. It would be a great trip and easy to find, about 2 1/2 hours away from Frankfurt. <BR> <BR>This would be a fun trip and if time permits, one more day and you could drive south about an hour and visit heidelburg on the Neckar River. <BR> <BR>Good luck and have fun! <BR>

Old Oct 8th, 1998, 07:36 PM
tom

With only two to three days, I agree with the previous poster. However, I would consider after Rothenburg, moving on to Heidelburg, followed by a trip up the Rhine on the train or by KD boat and back down to Frankfurt. This circular route could easily be accomplished in three days. A wonderful opportunity to see some of the very best Germany has to offer and also get some good brats and great beer. Another alternative would be to go to Munich for three days. Munich is a wonderful city and can be reached after Rothenburg.

Old Oct 12th, 1998, 11:00 PM
Randy

Thanks for the wonderful info. It forced me to some more research on Germany, and now I'm thinking I'll fly into Munich, rent a car and drive into Rothenburg, and then take the train to Frankfurt to fly back. Any other suggestions? Can somebody give me ideas on where to rent a car, how much will it cost, can I drop it off at a different point, etc? Also, any info about cheap stays is appreciated.

Old Oct 13th, 1998, 04:27 PM
darin

Are you going to be in Munich during Oktoberfest? that may settle your question right there. You may not be able to get a room in Munich. If you do stay there, don't miss Neuwachtstein (sp?), the castle built by Crazy King Ludwig and used as the model for DisneyLand. <BR>

Old Oct 14th, 1998, 04:28 AM
Lee

Randy: It's just me, again. <BR> <BR>I'd avoid Munich during October as it's kind of like Paris during World Cup: crowded, costly and difficult to get reservations except 'way in advance. <BR> <BR>I'd stick with Frankfurt. The drive to Rothenburg is a fairly easy one and you still have Heidelburg, the Rhine, etc. close by. <BR> <BR>I'd try a rental through Kemwell or AutoEurope. We had a compact car (five speeds are common) for eight days at $226.00. You just pick it up and drop it off at the airport. Also, an International Driver's license is not needed if you have a valid driver's license. Check with your auto insurance to see if they will cover you overseas and save $$$ on rental insurance. I guess that most don't, like our company. <BR> <BR>You could take a jaunt down autobahn A7 from Rothenburg and see King Ludwig's castle "Neuschwanstein" near Fussen. It takes about three hours from Rothenburg. <BR> <BR>Have fun! <BR>

Old Oct 20th, 1998, 01:39 PM
PRJones

Lost this when I keyed "end" of a line, so don't know what happened.Will try again. Hope you find this before you go.You need to know rules of the road on the autobahn & elsewhere. <BR>Leave the inside lane for FAST cars <BR>Move to the right if the car behind blinks his lights at you - (passing). <BR>Do not honk your horn. <BR>Do not touch or bump other car bumpers. when parking or when you leave your car. <BR>Do not "flip the birdie" for any reason. <BR>Use the turning directional to "blink repeatedly to pass". <BR>Get a parking "ticket" when in public areas. Look for machine that dispenses and put it on your dash, visible from outside. <BR>Do not turn around in private driveways. <BR>Cameras monitor speeders in posted areas on the autobahn and at intersections in cities (red light running, speeding, etc. <BR>Learn type (in German) of gas your car will need before you head out. <BR>Lock your car. Leave nothing valuable visible from the street. <BR>