Reload this Page >

First Visit to Croatia/Slovenia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 08:59 AM
Ray Stroud

I want to visit Slovenia and Croatia this Summer, flying into Ljubljana and then renting a car and finding accomodation as I go. Any recommendations on where to head for the best scenery / historical interest? <BR>Many thanks

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 10:26 AM
Gilly

I don't know about Croatia but I visited Slovenia a few years ago and it is a little jewel. <BR> <BR>In what is a relatively small country you can get two extremes. Firstly I would recommend visiting Lake Bled in the Julian Alps. Make that your base for a few days. Bled is lovely, with an island in the middle with a church on, which you can get over to by gondola. <BR> <BR>While you are there Lake Bohinj is also worth a visit, also wonderful and shrouded in mountains. Real Alpine stuff, cable cars, waterfalls e.t.c. <BR> <BR>After leaving Bled go towards the adriatic and head for Piran. Basically a mini-venice. Beautiful tight streets, seafood, Italianesque architecture e.t.c. A real little gem..but keep it a secret please. <BR> <BR>Try the pensions in both places because the Slovenes are really friendly, helpful and the quality of mid price accomodation is excellent. <BR> <BR>From Piran you can catch day trip boats over to Venice. <BR> <BR>As I said I know little about croatia but the logical plan after Piran seems to be to 'hug' the adriatic and drive down the coast in Croatia. Head towards Split/Dubrovnik. I'm sure you'll discover some beautiful places on the way. Make sure you tell me about em! <BR>

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 01:29 PM
Heather

Gilly, I'm visiting Bled and Piran this May and was curious how easy it is to travel from Bled to Lake Bohinj without a car. There was little helpful information in my LP Slovenia guidebook and I would love any suggestions that you might have. <BR> <BR>Ray, I'm not sure when your vacation is scheduled, but I would be happy to send you any notes when I return.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 02:26 PM
Jon

If you're going in July/August it might be tricky to find accommodation in Croatia, because it is a high season and most of the hotels will be sold out. You can stay in private accommodation, which is very good and cheap, but also in the high of the season in well known resorts they might be sold out too. <BR>Having a car is a big plus. This is the best way to explore Croatia's coast. Start with Istria - Rovinj, Pula (big Roman arena), Porec are all very nice. <BR>On your way to the south, visit Opatija, nice little resort, sort of Salzburg by the sea. <BR>Also don't miss Zadar, Trogir and Split. From Split drive down to Dubrovnik. Stop in Makarska or nearby resort of Brela, for wonderful beaches. Stay few days in Dubrovnik, it's worth it. From Dubrovnik take a ferry and do some island hoping. Hvar, Korcula and Brac islands are a MUST! Then go back to Split from where you can drive to Zagreb and back to Ljubljana. <BR>Best scenery / historical interest? Everywhere in above mentioned resorts, you'll have enough opportunities to satisfy both. <BR> <BR>Enjoy your trip. <BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 06:38 AM
mimi

What are the delux hotels in Dubrovnik? How about delux in beach resorts?

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 06:55 AM
Nina

Mimi: <BR> <BR>If you are interested in staying at a deluxe hotel in Croatia, may I suggest Villa Dubrovnik. I stayed there and have never stayed at such a luxurious hotel (They are quite on the pricey side though). Here is there website: <BR> <BR>http://orlando.laus.hr/~villadub/ <BR> <BR>Other good hotels I would suggest - I never personally stayed there, but know people that have and they are also very nice are: <BR> <BR>Hotel Argentina, website is: <BR>http://www.hoteli-argentina.hr/ <BR> <BR>And, Hotel Excelsior: <BR>http://dubrovnik.laus.hr/hotel/excelsior/Welcome.html <BR> <BR>Hope the info. helps.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 01:30 PM
Myron J.

We just returned from 2 weeks in Croatia and Slovenia, and I agree with all of the above. We stayed in the Hotel Excelsior in Dubrovnik; it and the Argentina have fantastic views of the old city, especially at sunset. Be sure to walk around the walls! Club Nautica has great seafood. In Split, DO NOT stay at the Hotel Bellevue. It has a great location, but it is still unchanged from its days as a shelter for refugees. The Park has been completely remodeled and is not much farther from the old city. <BR> <BR>Zagreb and Ljubjlana are each worth a day or two--beautiful cities with a fair number of sights and great museums. The Pizzeria Cappuccino (across from the cathedral) in Zagreb is a great Italian/pizza place at ridiculously low prices. <BR> <BR>If possible, take the train and/or bus between Bled and Bohinj--or even Nova Gorica. Just don't try to cross the border into Italy from Nova Gorica unless you have a car. It can be done, but with great difficulty; you must go 4 km south by bus or taxi, walk across the border, and either walk or take a taxi to the Gorizia train station. <BR> <BR>Bus and train transportation in both countries is very good. The bus ride between Split and Dubrovnik is spectacular--and you don't have to watch out for the traffic, cliffs, and hairpin turns! <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 04:13 PM
Rebecca

Ray, <BR> <BR>I'm so glad you said that about the buses and trains. I really don't want the stress of driving. We're going to Croatia in June. <BR> <BR>Were you happy with where you stayed in Zagreb? Can you suggest a good hotel? Thanks.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 04:14 PM
Rebecca

I meant Myron, sorry.

Old May 29th, 2001, 07:26 AM
Julia

Hotels in Zagreb - <BR> <BR>Try the Hotel Dubrovnik or Palace. <BR> <BR>http://www.zagreb-convention.hr/conv...tro_hotels.htm <BR> <BR>