Reload this Page >

First trip to Venice, HELP!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 04:08 PM
Jessica

Hi, all! Two friends and I are going to Venice this summer, probably from the first of July through the third. We are trying to do this as cheaply as possible. Can anyone give me some ideas about low priced hotels, restaurants, and what to look out for on the train. We are taking the train from Germany and then back again. Thank you! <BR> <BR>Jessica <BR>

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 04:56 PM
Bill Fleites

Hi Jessica, <BR>I visited Venice last year. While planning my trip I found that because of its popularity, hotel rooms in Venice are more expensive than in most cities, and they tend to fill up pretty fast. I used the Hotel Giorgione (http://www.hotelgiorgione.com) and I really enjoyed my stay there. It is not a budget hotel (I do not think there are many of these in Venice) since it costs around $98 per night including breakfast. The hotel's breakfast was the best I have ever had while traveling in Europe. <BR>I can't help you with restaurants, since I either buy ingredients to construct a picnic style meal, or eat at fast food (i.e. Pizza) kind of places. <BR>As for the train station, I assume you will be arriving at the Santa Lucia train station. If you are, then you just simply go out the front, down the stairs, and you will be immediately confronted by the Gran Canal. I'd recommend buying a multi day water bus pass, allowing you to ride the vaporettos (water buses) up and down the canals of Venice. For additional information feel free to visit my travel homepage at: http://members.xoom.com/billfleites/ <BR>Have a wonderful time in Europe.

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 06:34 PM
Jane

Jessica, <BR>People have recommended the Gambero, Locanda Montin and Alboretti (among others) for good budget hotels. Try doing a search under those names on this forum and I'm sure you'll come up with other good budget suggestions. <BR> <BR>As far as where to eat, ricksteves.com has a great "pub" crawl dinner itinerary on his website. These pubs, or "bacaro" bars, have many wines by the glass for less than $1! They also offer delicious finger food, with prices varying from $1 for stuffed olives to maybe $5-$7 for more substantial fare. You should be able to have a light dinner for around $10, but what's even better is that you soak up so much great Venetian atmosphere that way! Look into the Rick Steves website for more specifics.

Old Apr 29th, 2000, 08:52 AM
ralphie

General note about hotels: Venice is such a walkable city that your hotel's proximity to popular locations such as Piazza San Marco isn't important--you can walk to wherever you need to go in just a few minutes. Having said that, avoid staying in Mestre, because it is on the mainland, and you can't really walk from there to the desirable parts of Venice. <BR> <BR>General note about restaurants: go off the main streets and wander around. You will find the restaurants with the best food and the best prices. Go to places areas like the Ghetto. While walking around earlier in the day, take note if you pass by a restaurant you might want to visit later. Check out the menus ahead of time. If you wait till dinnertime to start looking for a restaurant, you might have to settle for a less desirable place because you'll be hungry and won't have as much time to look around.

Old Apr 29th, 2000, 09:33 AM
Paul

We were in Venice last year and the best tip we got on restaurants was to eat at the railway workers cafeteria. This tip was from a budget travel magazine and it was worth every lira we spent there. The food was cafeteria style with a complete meal with everything from appetizers to entrees for one low fixed price. If you are looking for value and don't mind sitting among blue jacketed railway employees, this is the place for you. It is located a few hundred yards from the railway station.

Old Apr 29th, 2000, 10:09 AM
Margo

Jessica: <BR>I don't knoe how cheap you want to go but this is a find. <BR>CASA GEROTTO CALDERAN <BR>Campo San Geremia 283. <BR>Tel: 041-715562. Tel/Fax: 041-715361. (34 rms., 12 w/toilet & bath or shower.) 50,000-70,000L (26-36E) single (no toilets); 80,000-110,000L (41-56E) double; 100,000-140,000L (51-72E) triple; 140,000-160,000L (72-82E) quad. Breakfast (8:30-10:30am) at 7,500L pp is not obligatory & can be served in the room. Cash only. English spoken, charming simple hotel w/wonderful simply furnished airy bright large rooms, #310 & 210 are the best rms. w/balconies & bathrooms, #211 has a balcony but no bathroom, #312 has a balcony, #212 w/a huge balcony is a perfect room for 4/5 people, double-paned windows, central heating, no elevator, 4 flrs. They will accept a reservation via fax. Owned/managed by Olindo Milani & her wonderful family. Vaporetto: Ferrovia. Located in charming square. For walking directions, see Hotel Al Gobbo. <BR>