Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First trip to Munich, Germany and Vienna, Austria

Old Sep 22nd, 1999, 04:27 AM
Jenny

I am trying to plan my first trip to Germany. We are flying into Munich, and plan to travel by train in Southern Germany,also possibly Berlin and Vienna Austria. I only have 7 travel days, and I would imagine it being very hectic taking into account the travel time. What's best route to take? I am looking for a romantic trip with exposure to the culture, history, and arts of these cities. What points of interest are recommended? Thanks!

Old Sep 22nd, 1999, 05:14 AM
Anne

I think you would be stretching yourself too thin to do Munich, Berlin and Vienna. There is much to see near Munich -- Neuschwanstein (sp) castle is a must see in Fussen. I would also suggest that you make a trip to Saltzburg in Austria. It is an incredibly beautiful town, where the Sound of Music was filmed and Mozart lived, and not that far by train. Another idea is the Romantic Road (bus trips are available from Munich) with a visit to Rothenburg which is a wonderful old medieval town.

Old Sep 22nd, 1999, 06:08 AM
Julie

I agree -- Berlin and Munich will be a stretch. If you end up spending time in Munich - one thing that you should do is take a day trip to Dachau. Yes, it is depressing, but I think that everyone should see this sometime in their life.

Old Sep 22nd, 1999, 06:23 AM
tom

Jenny, <BR> <BR>I agree that with only seven days you should limit your scope of travel. I have been to Germany five times on vacation and recently returned from Munich on business, I work for Siemens, and actually got to spend last Saturday at the opening of Octoberfest. <BR> <BR>I would suggest the following for your consideration: <BR> <BR>1. Arrive Frankfurt in the AM and drive to Rothenburg ob der Tauber(a magnificent medieval walled city). Spend the afternoon and next day in Rothenberg, and depending upon your recovery from jet lag, then drive to Munich in the evening. (about 3 hour drive). <BR> <BR>2. Stay in Munich for the balance of your trip and do day trips from there. <BR>While in Munich visit the Marienplatz, St. Peters, St Michaels, the Two Sisters and the Assam churches. Visit the Englisher Garten and drink beer at the Chinese Pagoda or the Seehaus beer gartens. Take a walking tour of the city. Visit the Deutsche Museum, the Alt or Neu Pinathateuke Museum, the Modern Art Museum and for a real touristy evening consider a night at the Hofbrauhaus. For Munich style, with locals, beer drinking try the Seehaus or the Augustiner beer garten located near the Hauptbahnhof. <BR> <BR>3. Then take a daytrip to Salzburg Austria. About a 90 minute train ride. Salzburg is one of the imperial cities in Austria and is absolutely georgous. <BR> <BR>4. Then take a day to visit Fussen and Neu Schwanstein, Ludwig's magnificent monument to his opulent castle spending. <BR> <BR>5. You can aslo take a short train ride to Innisbruck Austria, Hallstadt Austria, or the Berchtesgarten moutaintop outpost of Adolph Hitler. <BR> <BR>All in all, I think that this itenerary would allow you to relax and also enjoy <BR>the beautiful area of Bavaria. <BR> <BR>Any questions, please e-mail me. <BR> <BR>TBH

Old Sep 22nd, 1999, 06:26 AM
tom

Jenny, <BR> <BR>Mea culpa...forgot you were flying into Munich. Just alter suggested itenerary to indlude daytrip to Rothenberg ob der Tauber. <BR> <BR>By staying at one place, Munich, you do not have to check into and out of a hotel each day and drag bags etc more than once. <BR> <BR>TBH

Old Sep 22nd, 1999, 03:09 PM
Lynn

We spent time in Munich last Oct. - I agree with those recommending a trip to Salzburg. Spend at least two days there. Several interesting tours may be booked at Mozartplatz, e.g., Hitler's Kehlsteinhaus (incredible views, and includes a stop in Berchtesgaden) and other trips to the mountains. While in Munich, don't miss Viktualienmarkt if you like to cook (or eat!); Deutsche Museum if science interests you; or Dachau. For fun, visit an Internet Cafe (there are 3) and e-mail your friends back home while you're enjoying the pasta. An inexpensive hotel near the Bahnhof (albeit not terribly quiet) is Hotel Helvetia. Very friendly, English-speaking staff.

Old Sep 22nd, 1999, 06:27 PM
Lori

Y'all left out my favorite place if you are sightseeing around Munich....The Cheimsee and Schloss Herrencheimsee,Ludwig's great tribute to Louis the 14th. From there is it not a long drive to Salzburg.. Also, if you want to stay a little outside of Munich, the small village of Aying, with their great inn and brewery is only 12km to the SE... We have stayed there many times. The wonderful canopied beds with the beer beside the pillows sold my husband the first time!! <BR>Lori

Old Sep 23rd, 1999, 04:42 AM
Jenny

Thanks, everybody for your valuable suggestions. I will definitely take a trip to Saltzburg and the wonderful places that you have recommended. I am still not sure though, if we should take a train or drive to Saltzburg and all these other places? What are your thoughts? <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 23rd, 1999, 06:02 AM
tom

Jenny, <BR> <BR>I have driven and taken the train to Salzburg, driven to Rothenberg and driven to Neuschwanstein. <BR> <BR>I would suggest the train to Salzburg and drive to each of the other sights. Parking in any city can be a problem. Salzburg's train station is only minutes from the central part of old town and taxis are waiting to take you. You can also walk or take a tram, they are convenient and inexpensive. <BR> <BR>Trains from the Hauptbahnhof house in Munich to Salzburg generally run hourly.

Old Sep 29th, 1999, 01:58 PM
Lynn

An inexpensive hotel near the Salzburg train station is the Adlerhof - we paid under $100 for a double with breakfast, WC and shower. Very nice, English speaking staff. The walk into the old part of town is not terribly long, either.

Old Nov 19th, 1999, 08:48 AM
Jennifer

a few things <BR>1. In Munich you HAVE to go to the Hoffbrau (sp?) house. It is a brewery is is so neat and fun! <BR>2. If you drive in Austria you need a "vingette", it is like a sticker you pay for so you can drive in Austria. I think that is what it is called. Noone will tell you about this but you have to have it. If you need more info, e-mail me. <BR>3. In Saltzburg we did the Sound of Music Tour with "Bob's Special Tours" It was worth it, got to see alot. <BR>

Old Nov 19th, 1999, 09:32 AM
kim

I have not driven in Germany, but rode the trains to Neuschwanstein and Salzburg from Munich. Personally I prefer trains because they are an experience in themselves. You get to relax, read up on where you are heading to, people watch, if you are outgoing you will meet lots of interesting people! I just think it is a great way to connect in a country. Some of my best memories include eating a wonderful dinner on the train from Munich to Salzburg and watching beautiful scenery go by as the sun went down!

Old Nov 20th, 1999, 04:11 AM
the turnip

Dear Jenny, I'm afraid I must agree and disagree with some of the advice you've been given. Bavaria is my most favorite area in all of Europe. When I'm there for some reason it just feels like I'm at home in a peaceful way. That being said I think you need to get out of Munich! Yes, it's a beatiful city and there are some interesting things to see there, but it was also bombed in to the stone ages during WWII and was almost completely rebuilt, giving it a very modern feel. Why not see Munich for a day when you first fly in and then end trip before flying home with a trip to the touristy yet fun Haufbrau Haus? <BR> <BR>The thing I feel strongest about is not staying in Munich every night. I agree having a home base and not lugging your bags around can be a real plus. In my humble opinion however you'll miss the magic of say Rothenburg, by not staying there overnight. Rick Steves hits it right on the head when he talks about the beaty of the city during the early moring hours and also after sunset when the barrage of tourists are gone and you have the city all to yourself. Walking the walls as the sun is setting <BR>or the streets late at night is almost a religious experience. <BR> <BR>Here are some other reasons to get out and go; <BR>Driving in Germany is EASY and relatively cheap. We've rented from Sixt every time and had nothing but good experiences with them. <BR>The abundance of good Bed & Breakfasts makes satying wherever you want a breeze. To me the are far suprior to hotels not only for the price factor but because you meet real people in a very relaxed atmosphere. <BR> <BR>If I had 7 days near Munich here would be my MUST see's. <BR> <BR>1. At least one night in Rothenburg with one or two days there depending on how much you like to shop. Be sure to see the criminal museum and walk the wall. <BR> <BR>2. A day to see Ludwigs castles near Fussen. If you start early you can seen Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau (sp?) without running yourself ragged. Neuschwanstein gets busier as the day goes on so getting there just as it opens is a real plus. The hiking behind the castle while a bit steep in parts is worth every effort and simply not to be missed. The pictures you can take from Marias bridge will be the best of your trip! <BR> <BR>3. Salzburg. To me this is what I had hoped Munich would be like. A darling old town to explore. Lots of cobblestones and nooks crannies to explore. Many have enjoyed the sound of Music Tours while there. Driving is a headache but if you'd like I can email the address of charming B&B just outside town that's easy to park at and has a bus stop right in front of it to whisk you into town. While in Salburg consider a trip to the Saltworks for a memorable tour. <BR> <BR>4. After Salzburg I would suggest driving down to Berchestgarden. Skip the over-rated Eagles nest but take a boat ride and easy hike on the Konigsee. I guarentee it's a trip you won't forget. The lake is only allowed to have electric boats on it and is part of a large national park. Midway through your ride the captain stops the boat, gets out a trumpet and plays several notes. The resulting echo's takes your breath away. <BR> <BR>Well, those are my suggestions. Sorry for the long post but once I get started about Bavaria I can't shut up. Please feel free to drop me a line I can offer any assistance. You've chosen a great area to visit and you'll have great holiday!

Old Nov 21st, 1999, 03:16 PM
Linda

You didn't say when you would be going. If you are going in 2000, Oberammagau (spelling?) is having its passion play. They hold it every 10 years. Munich & Bavaria are good sites for first trip. However, Berlin is one of my favorite European cities--the history, arts, etc., there are incredible. Vienna is too far for 7 days. Save that for another time and visit Prague & Budapest with it.

Old Nov 21st, 1999, 05:35 PM
Jane

We made our 1st trip to Germany last year. The Neuschwanstein castle is a must see in Fussen. There was a beautiful Church just outside of Fussen in Weis, that will take your breath away. <BR>We stayed at the Romantic Hotel in Rothenburg, and I highly recommend it! This hotel is truly romantic. <BR>Take a look at their web site or go to a book store and look for Kathy Brown's book series on Inns. I have never fallen in love with any place like I did with Rothenberg. Check out Kathe Wohlfahrt Christmas Store. <BR> <BR>You'll love Germany! <BR>

Old Nov 22nd, 1999, 06:33 AM
Patrick

We will be staying in Berchtesgaden for four nights to see the sights, do the lakes and do some major hiking. Tell me about doing the day trip to Neuschwanstein from there. Easiest to rent a car for the day? How early should we try to arrive and how far a drive from Berchtesgaden? It is the one thing I've always missed in that area, and don't want to miss it again. We will not be in Munich this trip, which I love as a city by the way.

Old Nov 24th, 1999, 02:32 PM
Bob

We have done this area many times. 1. Get a car. It is the best way to see the small towns along the way. 2. You are doing too much to pack in Berlin and Vienna. 3. Concentrate on Berchtesgaden/Salzburg area for a few days then do the Alpine road drive thru Reit Im Winkel to Garmisch. Once there, explore the Ludwig castles and Oberammergau area. Maybe even the Zugspitz. That will more than cover your 7 days and you will enjoy it. If you need any tips for places to stay, etc, just email me.

Old Dec 2nd, 1999, 07:50 AM
millie

somehting to keep in mind about berlin is there is a very high crime rate because of unemployment and the illegid jealousy towards the western germans- these are the reasons my high school trip is not going there anymore <BR>thanks

Old Dec 2nd, 1999, 03:10 PM
M & J

Jenny--we just returned from Germany and highly recommend Rothenburg,as others have. Spent the night. Gather at 8pm at city center for Night Watchman's Tour. They need 10 souls for the tour, but we were short a couple folks, so we literally stopped people to join us. With the falling snow--it was magical.