Reload this Page >

First Trip to Italy (Rome & Naples)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 10:51 AM
Chris

We arrive in Rome on 11/22/00, staying at the Tourist House. Can anyone relay their opinion or experience regarding this establishment? We plan to break up the week long trip by taking a train to Naples and renting a car? Does anyone have recomendations regarding hotels/B&B in Naples for a weekend stay? <BR>Thank You <BR>Chris

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 11:28 AM
Walter

Chris: I'm curious, where are you planning to go by car on what I assume are daytrips from Naples over a weekend? A car might be more of a hinderance than an asset for most sights in the area. And driving in Naples, well it's not for the "faint of heart"). Regards, Walter <BR>

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 03:05 PM
Chris

Walter, <BR> <BR>Thank you for the reply! ... If we do not rent a car, is it possible to go on interesting day trips by bus or train?? Also, do we "lose" anything by not having a car...? (such as interesting shops, restaurants, etc?) <BR> <BR>We have not yet found a hotel for the Naples portion of the trip... can you recommend an inexpensive hotel or B&B? <BR> <BR>....Or is there a better place to spend those 3 days? <BR> <BR>Thanks!

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 04:01 PM
Walter

Chris: I can help as far as historical sites and museums but I'll leave the shops, restaurants and hotels/B&B to others. I've been to Naples twice and stayed very near the train station for the ease of getting around, it's not the nicest section. <BR>Just try to stay within access to the Metro which connects to the Circumvesuviana (CS) commuter train at the train station. From there Herculaneum is ~18min, Pompeii ~35min and Sorrento 60+min. From Sorrento (no personnal experience) but everyone usually recommends the bus for the Amalfi coast. And the ferry/hydrofoil to Capri (from Naples or Sorrento). A better place IMO would be either the romantic Sorrento/Amalfi area vs. Naples or Florence which is only 1:35min from Rome. Even <BR>Venice which is 4:21min from Rome could be an option. I'll e-mail you a Rome-Pompeii trip report that might be helpful. HTH Regards, Walter <BR>

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 04:17 PM
wendy

Naples is my absolute favorite city in Italy and it is quite walkable. I think you would miss a lot by driving. The personality of the city is palable on Via Toledo, where families walk in the evening. Day trips to Pompeii and Herculeneum are easy from the main train station, and you can walk to the ferry dock from Via Toledo. Have fun.

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 04:47 PM
Jean

I'm trying to find a good but inexpensive B&B in Rome. How was Tourist House? Does it have an elevator, since its establishment is on the 5th floor. Can you tell me more about it, service, food and rooms. <BR>I'm also trying to get a B&B in Milan. There are 6 of us. Also I'm driving from Milan to Naples and Rome in a minivan <BR>Thanks!!!

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 07:00 PM
Chris

Thank You Wendy for your reply and Walter for your most helpful e-mail. I am set on spending the weekend in Naples and dumping the car idea. Are there and sections of Naples that I should steer clear of when selecting a hotel? Jean, this will be my first stay at the Tourist House, you can visit the web site at touristhouse.it hopefully it can answer some of your questions. <BR>Chris

Old Nov 18th, 2000, 07:51 PM
wendy

I stayed at the Mergellina area and liked that quite a bit but I'm not sure if there are hotels there other than the youth hostel. The area around the central train station is reputed to be kinda shady but it didn't seem like it to me. My guidebook recommends the historic district, which is near the harbour and a nice area to go for a stroll in the evening. <BR>Have fun.

Old Nov 19th, 2000, 07:29 AM
Carey

Chris, <BR> <BR>I consider myself somewhat of an expert at driving to and from Naples (I had to do it five days in a row, to pick up friends, meet with government officials....etc, for our wedding) We had a car the whole time there, however what we did, is.....rented our car from the airport, and when I needed to go to places in the city, we would drive to the center city, then park at the train station, and take cabs to every place we needed to go. The train station is quite scary, however, there is a parking lot, that is watched, that will run you about $3.00 USD for a day. Then a cab ride can vary, and it is comparable to a US taxi. But you will soon be very thankful that you took the taxi....one note, MAKE SURE that you use an "official" taxi. Others will take advatage of you.. Also find a taxi that has a meter. I would not recomend taking a taxi to the amalfi coast, the taxi driver's will have a hay day, and charge you any where from $100 - 300 USD round trip! (A couple of our guests had that problem) As for driving in the Amalfi Coast, I did it every day for a week and a half. I felt that it did not meet all the hype that I was anticipating. It is definately the world's official driving school. And you will come in contact with just about every situation imaginable. But if you just stay focused, drive at a speed that is comfortable for you, you will be fine. Also, if you do see a line of cars piling up behind you, due to the speed you are going, kindly pull over, and let those people pass. You will feel better because you won't have the pressure, and they will quit harrasing you! I always think that they don't know me, I don't know them....so get over it! <BR> <BR>All in all, I think you should rent a car in Naples, but use it sparingly IN Naples, but it will make your trip more enjoyable while traveling in Amalfi. Besides, you must go to Ravello, Vietri, and my favorite..........Furore........an artist type colony WAY up high in the mountains. It is a cool, but scary drive up, well worth the effort. <BR> <BR>oh, as for Accomodations in Naples, DO NOT stay near the train station. Not a good area, my parents stayed in Capodimonte, and thought Naples was a great city! Most people, who don't get past the train station, feel that Naples is the arm pit of Europe. but Naples does have some redeeming qualties, plus there is the best archealogy museum in Naples that houses most of the remains of Pompeii....I haven't been there myself, but I heard it is a must do in Naples. Also, check out the Galleria in Naples. a glass cover mall type area. <BR> <BR>I hope this helps, if you need any other assistance or need answers to more specific questions...........just email me. Carey