Reload this Page >

First trip to Italy

Search

First trip to Italy

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2000, 05:48 AM
Janice Tarter

First trip to Italy

I am planning a trip to Italy Aug. 24-Sept.14. Planning to visit Rome, Florence,Venice,Amalfi Coast, and Italian Riviera. <BR>Starting and ending in Rome. <BR> <BR>I am an inexperienced traveller. How many days should I spend at each place. Should I include anything else or is this itinerary too hectic. Should I make hotel reservations in advance or find places when I arrive in each city.

Old May 25th, 2000, 06:30 AM
Rex

2-4 days in each of the first four places; the Italian Riviera is not nearly as terrific as the other destinations you list. My sole suggestion would be to get away from the "major" destinations a little bit en route from one place to another. In Italy (and many other parts of Europe), much of the appeal is in little towns with nothing "famous" to see. <BR> <BR>And I think that hotel reservations in advance are worth their weight in gold. The website www.italyhotel.com is a very, very valuable resource. <BR> <BR>Are you locked into those dates? I am looking to put together a small group tour (10-12 people) in September, but cannot start it before Aug 28 - - and you may find that air fares are (a little) cheaper after Sep 1. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex Bickers <BR>Westerville, Ohio

Old May 25th, 2000, 07:06 AM
elaine

Hi Janice, if you have any interest in looking at my notes for Florence and/or Venice, email me. <BR>If you are a museum goer, I would allow at least 4 days for Florence, more is better, especially if you'd like to <BR>get out into the countryside and/or visit Siena, which I highly recommend <BR>Venice, which I fell in love with,should get at least 3-4 days, although the crowds may be bad at that time of year, taking away from the experience. I went a little later in the year. <BR>enjoy your trip, it sounds wonderful

Old May 25th, 2000, 07:18 AM
lisa

You have three weeks -- that seems like the perfect amount of time for your itinerary. If I were you I would plan to spend, at the absolute minimum, at least 5 nights in Rome, 3 nights in Florence, and 3 nights in Venice. That eats up 11 of 21 nights, leaving 10 for the rest of your trip. It seems like one could easily spend a week on the Amalfi Coast, leaving three for the Italian Riviera.

Old May 25th, 2000, 08:43 AM
howard

Lisa' given a good itinerary. You also might consider a few days in Tuscany and dropping the Riviera.

Old May 25th, 2000, 08:49 AM
JaniceTarter

Thanks for all your replies. I was thinking of dropping the Riviera. Where should I stay in Tuscany? <BR>

Old May 25th, 2000, 08:57 AM
Lesli

Siena and Lucca are both charming mid-sized hilltowns with lots of good restaurants. They feel very peaceful in the evenings after the daytrippers have gone home; I highly recommend at least a night or two in one of them. You can reach either by bus (more convenient than train) from Florence, if you are without a car. <BR> <BR>Buon viaggio!