Reload this Page >

First trip to Ireland

Search

First trip to Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 01:46 PM
Dorothy

First trip to Ireland

Need help with itinerary for first trip to Ireland we will be travelling with our 2 sons 10 and 17 years old. Arriving Shannon Feb.14 and departing Shannon Feb.25 We plan on renting a car. Thanks for any help you can share.

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 03:35 PM
Cathy

Dorothy, <BR>One of the places that the kids might like is the Bunratty Castle banquet and the Folk Park at Shannon. If you have any Irish blood in you then the Cobh Heritage Centre near Cork city may be worth checking out. Doolin with its musical tradtion and the Cliffs of Moher are also popular. Galway is a young person's city and is full of life. Do remember that many places will be on winter opening times. Plan on sticj=king to one region eg the South west and either go south towards Killarney and Dingle or norht towards Doolin and Galway - weatherwise it may not be great for long distance driving. Do plan on allowing twice the amount of time to travel half the distance you would normally do back home, <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 12:26 PM
cathy

thanks for the info know i'll be visiting ennis cause we have relatives there never met them before looking forward to that. any suggestions on renting a car or van should we have that arranged before we go there? Do they have any large cars husband and son both over 6'. thanks dorothy

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 01:11 PM
Cathy

Dorothy, <BR>Check with your airline - they tend to have special rental deals with rental car companies - ohterwise check out Dan Dooley. Be warned that car rental is expensive in ireland but it isn't high season in Feb. Remember that most credit cards do not cover CDW insurance. Do a search on this forum to find out more infor on this matter. Contact the Irish Tourist Board at www.ireland.travel.ie and get them to send some of their brochure material etc. <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 12:58 PM
Debbie

Dorothy, <BR> Don't worry too much about renting the car. I did it in Nov. and the only problem we had was a flat tire. <BR>(I will bring my post up to the top for you.) <BR>we concentrated on 4 cities , 2 days each , but you may want to spend more time in less places. (we did Galway/Killarney/Waterford & Bunratty). <BR>I loved Killarney - they have bus tours of the Ring of Kerry & Dingle bay. Especially in the off season - do the tour - I am glad I didn't try to drive that route in the mist and rain. <BR>Still worth the view, but not the hassle of driving it. <BR> <BR>Good luck. <BR>Debbie