Reload this Page >

First trip to Germany

Search

First trip to Germany

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 11:33 PM
Nicole

First trip to Germany

Greetings!<BR><BR>I'll be on my business trip to Stuttgart on coming April/May. I know there are plenty of attraction in Germany, for example, Munich, Lake Constance, Black Forest, Castle Neuschawanstein, Rhine River... etc. all those seem like really nice places that I mustn't miss. <BR><BR>As I only plan to extend my stay there for not more than a week, beside 5 days in Stuttgart, I'd like to seek for your advise, which places are most convenient, for me to travel from Stuttgart? As you can see, the places I mentioned above are somehow located far from each other, it seems like I can only choose either go west for Black forest & Rhine River, or go east for Munich & Castle Neuschawanstein, or towards southern for Lake Constance?? Everything seems attractive to me, but specifically, I love nature beauty compare to arts and theatre(It's hard for me to compare, actually <BR>So, any comment?<BR><BR>I plan to travel by train/bus/boat, as it'll allow me to see the beautiful scene along the way, and not that expensive, correct me if I am wrong? Btw, what is the approximate cost(excluding accomodation), for travel in these places for 1 week?<BR><BR>Btw, what are the attractions in Stuttgart? I'll have some free time after 6pm each day for my stay there but I find that most of the shops close at early evening, 5-6pm? Any suggestion?<BR><BR>I am still planning for the trip, as Germany will be the first destination, I hope it will be enjoyable, even though I'll be going alone. <BR><BR>Looking forward to your comment/idea, thank you in advance!<BR>

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 01:00 AM
christi

Hi Nicole,<BR><BR>I am an American living in Stuttgart so I hope I can help you. I really love Lake Constance (which the Germans call the Bodensee), it is only about 1.5 hours from Stuttgart by car and a very easy drive. My favorite towns on the lake are Meersburg and Lindau and they are both beautiful. If the weather is nice I woud also take a boat ride. As far as Stuttgart goes there aren't a lot of attractions and I really would not spend my time there. If you don't want to adventure too far out you can take the train to T&uuml;bingen which is a nice university town or to Heidelberg which is beautiful also. Another neat town about 1.5 hours away is rothenberg o.b. Tauber and it is a medieval walled city. There is a lot of info on these places in the internet if you do a search. If you like the mountains I would go down to Garmisch (you can take the train) and take the funicular up the Zugspitze (Germany's highest mountain) and Neuswanstein castle is in F&uuml;ssen which isn't too far away either. I would not waste my time at the Black Forest, I have been and in my opinion there are much better options. If you like palaces there is a really good one about 30 minutes north of Stuttgart in Ludwigsburg, it is called the Residenze I believe and you can take the train and bus there. I would really recommend buying Rick Steves Germany guide, it helped us out immensely when we first moved here. The rhine river cruise is also nice--I would start at St. Goar and explore the fortress (oldest on the Rhine) adn take a 1 hour ride down to Bacharach and explore that town too. I hope this info helps and let me know if you need more info. I am sorry for not providing more info but my husband is in the hospital so I don't have a lot of time but I do want to help. Also, one of my favorite places is Lucerne, Switzerland, about 3 hours from Stuttgart. Take the cable car up Mt. Pilatus and a long boat ride on the lake if you want amazing scenery.<BR><BR>Have fun!<BR>Christi

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 01:06 AM
christi

Hi again,<BR><BR>Just wanted you to know that the shops in downtown Stuttgart (along K&ouml;nigstrasse, the main shopping street) are open until 8 pm Mon-Fri. but the small towns will close by 6 pm. For nightlife go downtown to Stuttgart for bars, clubs and restaurants. For a change of pace, there are several spas in Stuttgart and surrounding towns so you could treat yourself to a mineral bath and massage--try the Mineraltherme in B&ouml;blingen or there are 2 in Stuttgart but your hotel should have some info for you.<BR><BR>Also, trains are quite expensive if you are travelling alone so I would really recommend renting a car. The roads are easy to manage but just make sure to have a good map and plan out your route ahead of time--I use www.mappy.com and it helps me every time. <BR><BR>Good luck,<BR>Christi

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 01:48 AM
Nicole

Hi Christi,<BR><BR>Thanks for your ideas! I've came across the travel sites and somehow almost drown/overloaded by the info That's why suggestions come from someone who familiar with the place, like you, are really appreciated. I am actually trying to find out location of the places you mentioned. Yeah, Stuttgart has less attraction compared to other regions in Germany, but anyhow I need to be there for the first week during my stay. Thus I plan to take it as an opportunity to adapt to the culture before I start my solo journey. Anyway, glad to know about the mineral bath and massage things , as I would actually be in B&ouml;blingen <BR><BR>Yes, I love mountains, lakes, castles, palaces and all those amazing scenery, exactly! I understand that driving would be more fun but somehow I've a prob with it as I am not used to drive on the right-hand side. <BR><BR>I must say your messages did bring confidence to me and I really appreciate it. More suggestion are always welcomed. Thanks and best wishes to you.<BR>

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 02:14 AM
MH

Dont be afraid to drive over here, you will get used to it in a few days. There are a lot of foreigners here and if you get lonely for a taste of home, stop in any Irish Pub and you will meet UK'ers & Aussies. There is one in every village. Have fun while you are here, eat some wurst, drink some beer and relax and enjoy the scenary...you will wish you lived here...

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 04:22 AM
anissa

I lived in Konstanz and it was about a 2 hour train ride from Stuttgart. Meersburg and Lindau are nice towns (I prefer Meersburg to Lindau), but don't forget to check out Konstanz. There is a beautiful cathedral there, and the Insel Mainau is wonderful - you wouldn't believe some of the plants that can grow on that island, it is a tropical paradise. You can also catch a boat ride from Konstanz down the Rhein and go into Switzerland and see Stein-am-Rhein and Shcaffhausen. Make sure that you go to the Rhein Falls if you are into nature/scenery etc! Very spectacutlar! If I were you, and the weahter cooperates, I would do the boat ride across the lake to Lindau - we did it on a day trip and saw everything and had a pleasant day of it.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 05:40 AM
sam

Nicole - <BR><BR>Where are you flying in and out of?

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 06:04 AM
Rex

I would recommend this thread about Germany - - brimming with more ideas - - people's favorites - - than you will know what to do with.<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=1307795<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 04:21 PM
Nicole

Thanks for all the suggestions! Now I am even more excited! Wish I can be there a.s.a.p!<BR>I've a (silly) question here, do I need a international driving license, if I choose to drive? What is the most convenient/safest public transportation for a woman traveller? <BR>Sam, I'll arrived at Stuttgart Airport, and I haven't decide where should I flying out to Amsterdam, it really depends on my itinerary. Again, any idea from all of you?<BR>

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 04:57 PM
victor

There are lot of places to see in Germany. We were there in Oct for 3 weeks and had a good time. <BR>If you need more details, read our trip report at www.vgpma.com/travel/<BR><BR>Driving is the best option, in our caes.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 09:24 PM

to the top<BR>

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 10:28 PM
Jaime

Nicole. re: International Driving License. AAA can issue one. I don't know if you need one, but at $20, I thought it better to have it done here.