Reload this Page >

First Trip to Europe

Search

First Trip to Europe

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 03:57 AM
Nan

First Trip to Europe

I am planningour first trip to Europe and we have always wanted to get to Germany. Rather than trying to cram too much into our vacation, I thought we should just concentrate on Germany, probably Munich. I need some guidance. I am overwhelmed with tour and travel brochures. We don't want to spent our time on a bus traveling from place to place, and we'd like to stay in quaint inns to get the flavor of the country. Any Suggestions??<BR><BR>Thanks, Nan

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 04:41 AM
Toni

My husband and I drove around Northern Italy and Southern Germany last year and we got lost EVERYWHERE. Sometimes that was fun! By the time we got to Germany we decided to try and avoid large cities. I don't know how long your trip is, but I would not miss Nordlingen, Ulm, Meersburg (and all the towns along Lake Constance), Berchestgaden, Regansburg & probably a few more. We did go to Nurenburg and also loved it (and didn't get lost there either too much). OH - Mittenwald was delightful!

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 04:42 AM
Paige

Hello! How long will you have and at what time of the year? There are lots of really cool towns within a few hours of Munich. Like Salzburg, Mittenwald, Garmisch, Innsbruck, Regensburg and others. The public transportation here is excellent and you can use it to go most anywhere, including the towns I mentioned. You could stay in Munich the whole time and take daytrips, although that might get a bit tiring. If you like nature, the area south of here is gorgeous, with mountains, gorges, etc.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 05:30 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Nan, Start with the basics:<BR>WHEN--HOW LONG--HOW MUCH--MODE OF TRAVEL<BR>These will determine your feasible options--and there are many good ones.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 06:13 AM
Rex

Often times, I am the practical one here; Bob more often addresses "what lights your fire?"<BR><BR>So this is role reversal!<BR><BR>Just as important as the four things he lists would be "WHY Germany?" and "what things make you drool, when you look through those big picture-filled coffee-table sized book?"<BR><BR>Start with those questions - - and right behind them, Bob's four questions.<BR><BR>I'm not suggesting that there aren't GREAT reasons to go to Germany - - there ARE. But it starts with YOUR reasons. Is it the cathedrals of Cologne and Aachen? Castles? Seeing Porsches made? The Alpine atmosphere of Garmisch? The history around every corner in Berlin? The wines of the Schwarzwald?<BR><BR>You'll find many voices STRONGLY in favor of doing this trip INDEPENDENTLY - - not going on a tour, but if you feel like you want the (few?) advantages of a tour, you'll find some people here who have experienced those firsthand also.<BR><BR>www.karenbrown.com is a great resource for the "quaint inns" you're seeking. So is "www.anytown.de" (not literally) - - plug in the name of any town (almost) - - for example, start with www.oberkirch.de to see what i mean.<BR><BR>Keep coming back here often as your planning and dreaming evolves.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 06:28 AM
Wayne

Like Rex and Bob, I think you might have started your planning in the middle. Whether you go to Germany is maybe not the right question; and besides, Germany is so convenient to northern Italy and central/western Austria that you might want to think in terms of climatic and geographic regions, not arbitrary national borders. So, if you are going into Munich, and aren't going during the cold months, my suggestion is to think of 3 countries, not one. If you are also leaving from Munich, your itinerary will obviously have to be a circular one to prevent backtracking and to derive the most enjoyment from your trip. With some good planning, I know you'll have a great time. After a bit more of your plans jell, come to this web site again with more specific questions and we'll try to help.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 01:53 PM

I wasn't trying to suggest that you turn the question "WHY Germany?" into "WHY any of the various destinations in Europe?" I suspect that in some place inside your heart - - you know theanswer. The picture books will help you turn it in a list we can look at with you.<BR><BR>I wouldn't try to get you to add other countries to your trip - - though clearly you could, Germany, like France, Italy, spain and the Britisj Isles - - are many different "countries" and cultures all rolled together.<BR>

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 12:32 AM
Lilli

Hello,<BR>Munich is the most beautiful city in Germany and there is lots to see. If you prefer to stay in one place it is also a good place to take daytours from. You should not miss Fuessen and surroundings, visit the beautiful castles of Ludwig (especially the famous Neuschwanstein). Lake Constance is also a very beautiful place, but a little far, you might consider travelling there and spending a few nights in a place like Meersburg. <BR>You can find more information on www.germany-tourism.de.<BR>

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 04:54 AM
bettyk

I think I would have to disagree that "Munich is the most beautiful city in Germany". Unless you haven't seen too much of Germany. Only my opinion.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 05:25 AM
Betty

Let's not even get into beautiful cities. But please Lilli to tell a first timer Munich is a beautiful city is quite unfair. The city was rebuilt in the 50's with ever little left of the true beauty of the centuries. Now can you have a great time in Munich. Why yes you can.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 05:25 AM
StayOnthe

welll, betty,why don't you start your own thread about that,mmm?

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:56 PM
Tracy

My husband and I went to Germany (or Europe) for the first time a little over a month ago. We based out of Garmisch. <BR><BR>We stayed there for one week and toured Bavaria. The sights we hit were the folowing: Neuschwanstein, Linderhof and Hohenschwangau (castles), Oberammergau (noted for culture, churches and wood-carvings), Munich (old culture, many churches, beer and historical sites), Zugspitze (tallest point in Germany), Austria (Innsbruck), and other sites. We were able to balance a nice vacation. <BR><BR>Our transportation was bus and train. We stayed across the street from the train station. I would suggest getting on some websites about Bavaria and Germnay and get Frommer's Travel Guide or Rick Steeves on Germany and Austria.<BR><BR>The country is beautiful. We went in February and the weather is comparable to Ohio (where we are from). I heard the weather is great in the Spring. There are a ton of hotels and inns in Garmisch. <BR><BR>If you need assistance, drop me a line! We took a lot of pictures on digital camera and a 35 mm. I want to go back!!!<BR><BR>Tracy

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 06:28 PM
Nancy

I spent a month in southern Germany in 1996 and thought is was amongst the most beautiful countries I've ever visited. Also, everyone was extremely nice and helpful. Since I don't know how much time you have but assuming at least 2 weeks I would fly into/out of Munich and rent a car for travel outside of Munich. It's very easy to drive there, even getting in/out of Munich, and then you're free to go wherever you want for however long you want. I loved Munich and stayed there 3 nights which was adequate. If you would like some details on my trip, please send me an e-mail.