Search

First time to Italy!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2003, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time to Italy!

Hi Everybody,

My husband and I are planning to go to Italy at the end of Sept. This is our first time. Here is our iternary:

9/25 to 10/3 Stay in Rome:
Sightsee in Rome and take some day trips to nearby town.

10/3 to 10/10 Stay in Florence:
Sightsee and take day trips to Pisa and Venice.

Do you think this is in the right order? I have heard that you should start from less hectic city and work your way up and on the first day we will be in Rome.

Thank you for anybody's advise.

clok

Do you think this ord
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 09:04 PM

I think that a day trip to Venice from Florence is not a good idea. I should spend at least 1 or 2 nights in Venice if you want to see it. From Florence to Venice even with a ES (eurostar train) it takes about 3 hrs (one way) so you would end up squeezing your visit to Venice and not enjoying it much.
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 09:25 PM

clok, it may be your first time, but hopefully it won't be your last. It pains me to think of taking a day trip from Florence to Venice. There are so many lovely places in Tuscany that you can day trip to in an hour or so from Florence, like Siena, for example. Or rent a car and drive to some of the charming towns like San Gimignano, Volterra, Chianti, Lucca. Relax a little and enjoy Italy!
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 10:43 PM
Original Poster

Hi There,

Thank you so much for your suggestion. Now that I am thinking about it, I want to actually spend two nights in Venice and fly back home from there.....

clok
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 03:38 AM
ira

Hi Clok,

Good idea to depart from Venice. I suggest that you take a day from Rome and add it to Venice.

I also suggest that you make your hotel reservations right now.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 03:48 AM

We started out in Rome and loved it. I wouldn't have changed a thing. Maybe on your next trip you can fit in the Amalfi Coast...it's wonderful.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 04:29 AM

You have plenty of time to spend time in Venice. What about 6 days in Rome, six days in Florence with day trips to the Tuscan countryside and three days in Venice?
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 04:36 AM

I like that one, mamc! Clok, we recently did Florence and Venice and really enjoyed having the more hectic city done first, and winding down the end of our trip in Venice. I think that mamc's itinerary would be great. However, that's just my opinion.

I also agree to fly into one city and out of another, if you can. Not only is it usually less expensive, but it also cuts down your travel time back and forth.

Good luck with your plans!

Old Aug 29th, 2003, 06:22 AM

If I read your post correctly, you have 8 days in Rome and 6 or 7 in Florence. Like the other posters here, I think a day trip to Venice ought to be a crime punishable by three weeks locked in a Motel 6 with a black and white TV. Unless you are a serious, and I mean SERIOUS art lover, 6 days in Florence, even with side trips to Chianti, Siena, etc., is too much. I personally think that you are spending to much time in Rome which can be seen quite nicely in 4-5 days. I would say to fly into Rome, reduce your days there, spend some time south, a couple of days would be nice, head back north, hit Florence and Tuscany in general, ES to Venice for 3 days or so, and fly out of Venice if possible. That would maximize your Italian experience, without being overly rushed in any one place. I know that open jaw airfares tend to be more expensive, but you should weigh the loss of a day travel returning from Venice to Rome against the cost.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 06:32 AM

I'm happy to see someone on this board who has enough time to visit a certain amount of sites...
In my opinion;
Rome, the city, needs a 5 day stay to have a 'decent' visit.
Florence, the city, is a 2-day town.
Venice, the city, is a 3-day town.
Venice is too far away from Florence for a day trip.
I would say there are more interesting daytrips to make from Florence than from Rome: San Gimignano, Lucca, Siena...

So this would give you:
- arrival in Rome and 5 day stay
- stay in Florence and Tuscany witholding...
- 3 days for Venice before flight back home.

Have a good trip.