Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First Time Visiting Amsterdam - What Area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2012, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone:

I'll be traveling to Amsterdam for the first time in September. Instead of getting a hotel, I'll be getting a private apartment. Though I've seen a few places in the canal rings, there are quite a few nice places outside (specifically Spaarndammerbuurt which is just northwest of Central Station) -- which seem more attractive because they are in quieter neighborhoods.

Should I look for a place that's more central? Or are places just outside the canal rings still easily accessible?

Thanks!
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 06:33 AM

yes they are easily accessible - several trams lace the Spaarndammerbuurt, which is also IMO a very neat area to stay in - more the real Amsterdam than the center of town - a very ethnic area with folks from many ethnic groups IME.
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you PalenQ!! I've also read that a lot of restaurants have been opening up in that area. Can't wait!
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 07:06 AM

Just make sure you are west of the Spaarndammerstraat. East of it is not as nice and does have some problems with criminals, drug addicts and the like. There are some very dodgy areas around there too.
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Hetismij2 - where is this located? One of the places we were looking at was more north - Zeeheldenbuurt area.
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 08:18 AM

Well I believe that is each of Spaarndammerbuurt but I have walked thru this lovely enclave surrounded by water and a train line and it is cute - very cute and did not seem anymore dicey than other parts of Amsterdam.

the worst place IME in Amsterdam to be in contact with drug addicts and street criminals is in the town center.
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 09:23 AM

<i>"Should I look for a place that's more central? Or are places just outside the canal rings still easily accessible?"</i>

I think the nicest area is BETWEEN the old center and the area outside the rings.

I would take another look at those apartments you found that are between the Singel and the Prisengracht canals (but not ON the Singel).
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 11:58 AM

If you like to walk to sites then I agree with bardo - central Amsterdam is surprisingly compact - a few square miles at most - I always walk everywhere - from farther out you have to take a tram (well not really if about 1.5 miles you consider a walk like I do) and then often IME you do not go out at night if it involves taking a tram, etc.

As i recall the OP's area there is not that much of interest at night save the usual cafe/bars and small restaurants and snack bars.
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 01:14 PM

hotel will not refund some reservation for a room far in advance. Avoid that hotel IMO - or was it a third party that refuses to refund of some type?
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 06:49 PM

Beware of a potential scam here - most hotels or reputable hotels will refund rooms booked in advance. I know of no legitimate hotel that will not = caveat emptor!