FIRST TIME VISIT TO SWITZERLAND

Old Apr 5th, 2016, 12:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FIRST TIME VISIT TO SWITZERLAND

My husband and I together with another couple-friend of ours, will be visiting Switzerland for the first time this October. We have 5 full days to spare (exluding arrival and departure days). Where do you suggest we should base ourselves? Would it be practical to stay 2 nights in Berner Oberland for the swiss alps experience? We would also love to stay in a lodge in the Alpine village of Engelberg but for first-timers, we really do not know what is the most practical thing to do to maximize our 5 days visit in Switzerland.

Your inputs will be highly appreciated.

Thank you very much.
Old Apr 5th, 2016, 03:12 AM

2 or 3 nights in Murren, Wengen, or Lauterbrunnen would be good bases for the Berner Oberland.

2 or 3 nights in Luzern in the east or Vevey in the west on Lake Geneva if you would like a taste of French Switzerland.
Old Apr 5th, 2016, 05:36 AM

Trains are the best way to go to and tour Alpine areas and to me the Jungfrau Region around Switzerland is the highlight of that country for first-time travelers and no cars are allowed above a few base cities. You will find you dream lodge also in Grindelwald or Wengen or Murren - for lots about Swiss trains check www.swisstravelsystem.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com. If going to two areas and training in between them check out a Swiss Pass of some type.
Old Apr 5th, 2016, 07:55 AM

We stayed in Murren on our first visit and it was FAB!
Old Apr 5th, 2016, 09:12 AM

Murren is great but not as conveniently located as say Wengen or Grindelwald for many of the area's most popular excursions.
Old Apr 5th, 2016, 11:47 AM

Would it be practical to stay 2 nights in Berner Oberland for the swiss alps experience?>

Yes but in October then would be about the most I'd spend as it can get cold and snow in higher altitudes like Grindelwald or Murren or Wengen and some popular hiking trails could be closed, etc.

Then move on to experience another part of Switzerland - say the Lake Geneva area - hop the famous Golden Pass scenic train from Interlaken to Montreux and stay there or in nearby Vevey which many also rave about and love. Take some boat rides on Lake Geneva or go to nearby gems like Gruyeres - a fine fine walled old town and to the famous Chateau Chillon right on the lake and a sweet walk from Montreux along the lakeside esplanade.
Old Apr 5th, 2016, 07:42 PM
kja

You might want to consult the Michelin Green Guide, which I thought the most useful of the half dozen guide books I used when planning my time in the area. And as a far distant also-ran, consult my trip report (by clicking on my screen name) or any number of other trip reports and planning threads on this board.

Enjoy!
Old Apr 12th, 2016, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

hello again! we tried keeping in touch with some hotels in Wengen for a possible 2-nights stay there and we were informed that some of them already close by October 24 and will resume operations in December. we are thinking to cancel the idea of staying 2 nights in Wengen. Anyhow we do not ski and would really just want to see the Swiss Alps for this 1st visit of ours in Switzerland.

Would like to hear your suggestions where do we base ourselves for our 5-day stay in Switzerland during the last week of October? As i have initially mentioned, we arrive in Zurich International Airport and although we would also want to see a little of Zurich, we intend to stay elsewhere. Where do you suggest we should base ourselves? From the looks of it, we might have to skip staying in Wengen for the Alps experience. Would getting the Three Passes Tour be more practical for us? If this is so, where should we start our journey for this and base ourselves? We also would want to stay some nights in Lucerne.

Any inputs will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.
Old Apr 13th, 2016, 12:37 PM

Would getting the Three Passes Tour be more practical for us?>

I was ready to take this tour one mid-September and the passes were blocked by snow - rather early but always possible - especially the later in fall it gets.

For a taste of the Alps just go to Interlaken which will have lots of open and cheaper accommodations and warmer weather because it is at lower altitude and take a train up to Grindelwald and open your eyes - that will fulfill seeing the Alps at their most majestic IMO.

Lucerne could make a good base for 5 days - one day a day trip to say Grindelwald and day trips around the lake or the Lake Geneva area say Montreux or Vevey - lots to do there on day trips and warmer weather I think than central Switzerland.
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much @PalenQ for your valuable inputs.

Much appreciated.
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 11:51 AM

Thanks - in October it will be quite cool in higher altitude places like Wengen so try to book a hotel in say Interlaken, at a much lower altitude and not cold or snowy or icy and do a foray by train into the hills for a day - but going to Grindelwald will be an eye opener for what your dreamy view in your mind's eye of Alpine Switzerland is at its best IMO.
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 11:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much @PalenQ for your inputs. So you would rather we base ourselves 2 days on Interlaken and 3 days in Luzern or would it be advisable if we stay in Luzern for our entire 5 days stay?