First Time Trip to Hungary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are traveling in June to Hungary to visit our son who is living near Budapest and will also be traveling with us. We have a round trip ticket to Budapest. We have never been to Europe before. None of us speak any foreign languages. We will have 8 days to sightsee. We would like spend some time in both Budapest and Prague,and may be in Vienna too. Also some time in the country/ nature. Any suggested itineraries? Shoud we rent a car or use the trains?
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 12:06 PM
sjj

I think you're better off using trains. I'd hate to ask directions or deal with a misbehaving car if I didn't speak the local language. Re languages, you may have a little trouble in Budapest, but a lot of people speak English in Prague and even more in Vienna. Re your itinerary, I'd spend two days in Budapest, and three each in Prague and Vienna. If you're interested in art and/or food, I'd spend more time in Vienna and cut down somewhere else.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 12:52 PM

Eight days is a tight itinerary for adding Vienna too. Especially if you have to fly into AND out of Budapest. Jet lag will also be a factor.

I assume your trip is 10-11 days total? Are you coming from N. America? If so, you leave day 1, arrive day 2 (you lose a day coming to Europe), day 3-10 sightsee, leave day 11.

I would suggest 3 days in Prague and the rest in Budapest. This will give you (barely enough) time to visit outside Budapest. Hungary has beautiful lakes, and many are accessible by train.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 12:55 PM

I would consider three major cities too much for eight days, without even considering the issue of travelling time between them and your wish for a foray into the countryside.

Budapest seems to be a given. I suggest you choose either Prague or Vienna. There is more to see in Vienna, especially if you like fine Arts. If you want romantic images, it is difficult to beat Prague.

I don't agree with sjj about the use of English in Budapest. While many people speak only a small amount, they seem to approach each transaction with great goodwill, and Hungarians seem to appreciate the value of smiling in communication.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 01:20 PM

I think that 8days for these three cities will be too short. If you want to see only the main attractions of these places, just choose 2 of the mentioned. There are nice places around Budapest, like Esztergom, Szentendre or Visegrád. Maybe it's worth to check this page out: www.hungary.com
you can find information on natural sights too and I would draw your attention to Hungarian food too. English should not be a problem in tourist places, though on the street you sometimes have to look for younger people in order to make yourself understood.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 06:36 PM

If you want something to help you with the language issue, my daughter and I found a program at CompUSA last week for only $4.99 that has 51 languages on it. We are going to Budapest and Novi Sad, Serbia this summer and this had both Hungarian and Serbian on it (4 CD's in the box), as well as 49 languages from Arabic to Hindu. It is geared to basic survival in the language (where's the bathroom, bus, train, please, thank you, etc.) and has both a man and a woman who say the words. It also has memory games and a microphone for you to speak the language back if you have that capability. We thought it was a great value for $4.99 and we have already had fun playing with it...even the kids who aren't going on this trip. Hopefully it will translate into something useful as well.