Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First time traveller to Europe. What is open jaw??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 10:02 AM
Robert

and what is the limitation on carry on luggage on airfrance. I will be going on airfrance to Paris, Paris-Venice, Venice-jfk. I have heard plenty on lost luggage and being my first trip I wouldn't like to experience loosing my luggage on my first trip. Thanks.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 10:12 AM
Capo

"Open jaw" is what one does before "insert food". :~) <BR> <BR>Seriously, it's flying into one city and then returning from another. While I *think* this tends to be a bit more expensive than flying in and out of the same city, I don't think that's always the case.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 10:16 AM
s.fowler

"Open jaw" refers to a round trip flight that involved two different cities otehr than your departure one. Examples would be: <BR> <BR>Chicago/London -- Rome/Chicago <BR> <BR>The person with a ticket reading this way would most likely be using another form of transportation to get from London to Rome. While it's not as cheap as a standard round trip, they can often be quite close in price and be worth the few extra $$$ as you don't have to "back-track" on your trip.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 10:18 AM
Thyra

Open Jaw, means that you fly into one city, say from New York to London, and instead of departing from London, you depart from a different city say... Venice. <BR>If you are concerned about luggage, first of all, be sure that your luggage is locked, and that your name and contact info are clearly marked on both the outside and the inside. Secondly remove any "old Aiport" tags from your luggage and lastly, if you can... only take 1 carry on. This is what my husband and I do and it works like a charm. But each airline has different dimensions of what they will or will not allow as a carry-on. <BR>You need to check in advance, and don't forget the weight as well. Usually the airline website has the info. <BR>If you are still concerned, be sure to itemize everything that is in your luggage and how much it is worth... someone else suggested snapping a photo or two of your bag before you leave. That will help you get compensated, should you and your luggage part ways.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 10:18 AM
s.fowler

Oh Capo You continue to delight me! I'll remember your suggestion the next time I dine

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 10:37 AM
Capo

Thanks, Sally. I should've noted that one could also substitute "foot" for "food". :~) <BR> <BR>I wish I could remember but the one time I flew open jaws -- Seattle-&gt;Nice & Paris-&gt;Seattle -- I *think* it was just a wee bit more than the Seattle-&gt;Paris roundtrip.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 10:48 AM
s.fowler

That's been my experience too Capo -- re the $, not the foot <BR> <BR>It was explained to me once. Which doesn't mean that I will get it right. What I'm told they do is take half of the roundtrips to each destination and add them together. So it should end up being a little more than the closest destination and a little less than the farthest. As to what the airline computers actually *DO* -- beats me.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 12:21 PM
coco

Robert, <BR>You have a direct Air France flight from Venice to JFK??? Can you please give me the flight number. Thanks.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 12:43 PM
s.fowler

It's a Delta flight: Delta Air Lines flight 154 <BR>They "partner" with AF.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 02:15 PM
jack

an open jaw is such that you can see the posterior molars and the uvula dangling near the back of the throat. hehehe

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 03:46 PM
Linda

Actually, the folks answering the Open Jaw question are correct, but only to a point. Yes, it is Chicago to Rome; Paris to Chicago. But it is also Chicago to Rome to JFK. The "open jaw: portion can be on either end of the trip.