Reload this Page >

First time traveler to Barcelona

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 04:14 AM
Nancy

I am traveling ALONE next month to Barcelona and would appreciated any site-seeing, night-life and travel tips. <BR>

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 05:05 AM
xxxxx

Book a sightseeing tour from the hotel when you get there one that you can get off and on at diffent stops this way you will get to know which direction to go when you see something you find intrest and you know how far stuff is so if you take a taxi at night they dont't give another tour of the city lots of great niight life beaware of your wallet at all times

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 06:15 AM
meira

Hi Nancy <BR>Go to Place Catalunia and take the yellow or red bus lines. You can Hope on Hope off - they do a tour around the city + give you a booklet with lots of reduction tickets to all interesting places around the city. Take the one day tour and get off and on as you please. Its not expensive and its worth the money. <BR>Eat at Tapas bars and buy lots of shoes and bags - very cheap and good quality. <BR>I am sure you will have great time! <BR>Meira

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 12:40 PM
Jean Valjean

Hi. <BR> <BR>The "tour" that everyone is referring to is the "Bus Turistic", one of the better ways to get to know the city. There are two lines (blue/red), and they only meet at the starting point in Plaza Catalunya. Your ticket is good for both, but it usually works better to follow each separately. IMHO, if time is limited, this is the best way to tour Barcelona. <BR> <BR>The best tapas bar I found in Barcelona (mostly locals, too) is at the corner of Rambla Catalunya and Mallorca (closest metro station is Diagonal). The place is called Cerveseria Catalana, and its tapas are to die for! <BR> <BR>As for night-life, it is something that people in Barcelona take VERY seriously. A typical night out starts with tapas and drinks at 6 or 7 pm (right out of work / school), continues at a restaurant (dinner starts late, 9:30-10:00 is the norm), then at a bar from midnight til 2 (or 3am), and then at a disco until breakfast. Good, reliable places are: <BR> <BR>Bars: Tres Torres (Via Augusta, near Sarria or Tres Torres FGC stations) or Mirablau (very nice view, at the end of the Tranvia Blau, on the way to Tibidabo. Take a cab). The area comprised by the streets of Diagonal, Calvet, Santalo and Madrazo is full of very nice places. Good places there are Marcel's (great Patatas bravas), Mas i mas, Universal, No me quite pa (great food!). <BR> <BR>Discos: Nick Havana (nice place, usually gets going after 2am), Luz de Gas (live music), Up& Down is a bit upscale, but quite nice, or Club Sol. The bars and discos at Maremagnum are usually full with a mix of tourists and locals, the same at Port Olimpic.

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 12:48 PM
Capo

Hi Nancy. As far as things to see in Barcelona, Gaudi's buildings are a must for many people. I'd highly recommend La Sagrada Familia, Casa Batlo, Casa Mila, and Palau Guell, as well as Parc Guell. Also other Modernisme buildings such as Casa Amatler (right next door to Casa Batlo), and the Palau de la Musica Catalunya. <BR> <BR>I thought the entire Gothic Quarter was fascinating, and I especially loved the above-mentioned music palace, the Cathedral, the church of Santa Maria del Mar, and the Picasso Museum. La Rambla is a magnificent pedestrian street lined with towering plane trees, Passeig de Gracia is another wonderful street for strolling, and I'd highly recommend the sound and light show at the Magic Fountain in front of the National Palace. Have fun!

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 01:14 PM
Surlok

Nancy, <BR> <BR>Do not forget Montjuic and the Miro Foundation in Barcelona. <BR> <BR>Great city, have fun there, I had. <BR> <BR>S

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 01:49 PM
ger

Nancy: <BR> <BR>Barcelona is a wonderful city and there's lots to see. I would recommend you buy "Barcelonawalks" (out of print but still available at the Barnes & Noble site - $18) one of the best tour books I have ever read for any city. <BR> <BR>I was in Barcelona in Spring and wrote a (rather odd) trip report. I'll find it and top it for you rather than repeat the recommendations. <BR> <BR>Have a wonderful trip. <BR> <BR>Regards .. Ger