Reload this Page >

First Time Tor France Itinerary - Help Needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 1999, 09:30 AM
Tim

My family and I are planning on going to France for 12 days in June for the first time. In the family we have an 8 month old baby and a teenager. <BR> <BR>I would like to see Normandy and my daughter wants to go to see Disneyland-Paris. My wife wants to live and breathe the romance of Paris. <BR> <BR>We just want to have a relaxing time walking and enjoying ourselves. We are not into seeing quantity but quality. <BR> <BR> <BR> So any suggested 12 day itinerary for a family that is lugging around a baby would be of a great help. For sites outside of Paris it would be additionally helpful to know the best type of transportation i.e. rental car, train bus etc <BR> <BR>Thanks & Cheers, <BR> <BR>Tim <BR>

Old Apr 15th, 1999, 10:21 AM
elaine

Tim, <BR>There are many different ways of going about this, and many suggestions for itineraries. You could base yourself in Paris for the entire time, and take daytrips or even overnighters to Normandie, Versailles, Chartres, Chantilly, Champagne, etc.You could do this by car, train,or by guided tour. Or, you could spend 7 days in Paris, then drive out to Normandie and tour for 3-4 days. <BR>I don't know how extensive your interests in Normandie are.Is it the D Day sites you want to see, or a good part of the countryside? If I were doing it I would spend 5-6 days in Paris <BR>(not nearly enough, but there's never enough time in Paris), take a day trip <BR>to Normandie, and then head south for a view of some beautiful countryside. If you're really ambitious you could take the TGV train to Arles, Avignon, or some other beautiful place in Provence, or you could go a shorter distance and visit the vineyards of Burgundy, or base yourself in Dijon or Lyons for a couple of days. But that might be too much traveling around for the baby, and too much wear and tear on all of you. Which goes back to the original idea of basing in Paris, and taking some daytrips to other places. <BR>I have heard mixed reviews from kids of all ages about Disneyland, but I'm sure you must work it in. <BR>As you said, quality over quantity. Even if you spend the entire time in Paris with only a daytrip or two, you will surely be very happy. <BR>If you have more specific questions on daytrips, Paris sights, museums, restaurants, etc., ask away. <BR>

Old Apr 15th, 1999, 10:21 AM
elaine

Tim, <BR>There are many different ways of going about this, and many suggestions for itineraries. You could base yourself in Paris for the entire time, and take daytrips or even overnighters to Normandie, Versailles, Chartres, Chantilly, Champagne, etc.You could do this by car, train,or by guided tour. Or, you could spend 7 days in Paris, then drive out to Normandie and tour for 3-4 days. <BR>I don't know how extensive your interests in Normandie are.Is it the D Day sites you want to see, or a good part of the countryside? If I were doing it I would spend 5-6 days in Paris <BR>(not nearly enough, but there's never enough time in Paris), take a day trip <BR>to Normandie, and then head south for a view of some beautiful countryside. If you're really ambitious you could take the TGV train to Arles, Avignon, or some other beautiful place in Provence, or you could go a shorter distance and visit the vineyards of Burgundy, or base yourself in Dijon or Lyons for a couple of days. But that might be too much traveling around for the baby, and too much wear and tear on all of you. Which goes back to the original idea of basing in Paris, and taking some daytrips to other places. <BR>I have heard mixed reviews from kids of all ages about Disneyland, but I'm sure you must work it in. <BR>As you said, quality over quantity. Even if you spend the entire time in Paris with only a daytrip or two, you will surely be very happy. <BR>If you have more specific questions on daytrips, Paris sights, museums, restaurants, etc., ask away. <BR>

Old Apr 15th, 1999, 11:03 AM
dAWN

tHIS oCTOBER MY HUSBAND AND i SPENT 3 DAYS AROUND nORMANDY. It was great. There are many things to see there especially WWII related, the beaches are a sight, and don't miss the American Cemetary. If you have time, Mont. St. Michel is incredible. Last year, we based ourselves in Paris, and took a daytrip to Versailles, easy on the comuter train, it was great, a very enjoyable day.

Old Apr 15th, 1999, 11:54 AM
Michael

Tim, <BR>Congratulations! The first trip to Paris is always the best. My experience is not to be too ambitious; my first trip was Paris and the Riviera (I had to see the Mediterranean). I would advise 4 days in Paris; 5 days in the countryside; and finish up with 3 days again in Paris. Paris is great, my favorite city, but the complete French experience includes the incomparable French countryside. As you have Normandy on your wish list my suggestion is to take a train to Rouen, tour the town and pick up a rental car. Driving outside of Paris is not that bad and it is easier to see more sites: the D-Day beaches, the American cemetery, the Bayeau tapestry, and definitely Mont St. Michel. We stayed in the town of Dinan, very atmospheric and fairly convenient. You might then head south for the Loire Valley for a couple of days in Amboise. We stayed at the Hotel Belle-vue right on the Loire. Check out some of the great chateaux: Chambord, Chenonceau. If you can, don't miss the gardens at Villandry, they are incredible. Drop off your car in Tours or another Loire Valley town and take the train back in to Paris. <BR>Have a great trip!!!! <BR>

Old Apr 16th, 1999, 10:18 AM
Tim

Thank you Elaine and Dawn for the advice. I think I will do a bit of both, a side trip or two from Paris and rent a car to see the country side with. <BR> <BR>As for Disneyland-Paris, Who can say no to a kid? <BR> <BR>Thanks again, <BR> <BR>Tim <BR>

Old Apr 16th, 1999, 05:10 PM
Joan

Does anyone know what closes in Paris on Bastille Day. do the trains and tours function. I plan on being there on July 14th, and need to know

Old Apr 16th, 1999, 06:23 PM
John

Joan, I don't remember what closes, but you will not beleive the number of people you are going to see. There will be people wall-to-wall as people from all around Paris converge on Paris that day. Massive traffic jams and lots of fireworks all night long.