First time to Spain-please help with itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to Spain next June. It is our middle stop between Portugal and London. We will be there for approximately 8-9 days. Right now our plan is to hit Barcelona, Menorca and Madrid. Menorca is up in the air rignt now. Is it worth visiting? Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated since neither of us have been to Spain.
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 08:34 AM

My favorite is San Sebastian in the Basque Country, but it might still be a little rainy there in June. You might also consider Sevilla. With only 8-9 days though, you probably don't want to hop around all over the country.
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 09:30 AM

I definitely think that you should hit some of the smaller cities that have more character. The large cities are beautiful and have a lot of history, but the heart of Spain is in the small pueblos. I suggest going to Andalucia - Sevilla or Granada. They are still large enough that they are tourist friendly, yet have the traditional southern Spain atmosphere. And if you are looking for a beach town, Cadiz is the place to go.
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 12:59 PM

planning similar 9-10 day trip to spain (nothing else) so topping.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. With only 8-9 days, 3 cities is our max. Barcelona is now a definite but Menorca and Madrid are still maybe's. One of the cities HAS to be coastal - we both love the beach. Pls keep the replies coming...
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 07:50 PM

I would highly recommend not missing Seville and perhaps considering a stop at Alhambra in Granada. I don't know anything about Menorca, but would rank both Seville and Granada above Madrid.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 09:25 AM

Sevilla, Sevilla, Sevilla!!! And for coastal towns, Cadiz is great and so is Tarifa, on the southwest coast. Beautiful water, you can see Africa, and it's the windsurfing capital of the world (which means not much unless you like windsurfing, except that it's fun to watch!). The drive from Sevilla through the "White Towns" to Ronda and then down to the coast is incredible, too. I agree with x98 on the fact that the smaller towns are where it's at. Madrid is a tad overrated when compared to Sevilla, if you want my opinion...