First Time To London

Search

First Time To London

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2003, 09:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Time To London

I am planning the details for my first trip to London in January. There are 3 traveling and definitely want to see Stonehenge and Canterbury.We would also like to consider a day trip to Scotland and Paris if possible. We have 7 days in which to see as much as possible and would love to hear from anyone who has been there, done that, seen that..More importantly need to know about getting around using public transportation...thanks
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 04:38 AM

7 days & 4 day trips? What are you thinking? Paris is doable by train 2 1/2-3 hrs each way by Eurostar. People have posted there are rates now of 90 euros/person roundtrip. Edinburgh also doable by train. There is no train near Stonehenge. Most people do a bus tour with Evan Evans or Astral-both have websites. I don't think it's possible to combine Stonehenge.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 04:41 AM
ira

Hi txas,

I repeat Mclaurie's query: " 7 days & 4 day trips? What are you thinking"?

From London you can visit Stonehenge and you can visit Canterbury. Spend the rest of your time in London.

Leave Paris for another trip. You will go again.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 04:45 AM

Sorry I posted before finishing. I don't think Stonehenge is combined with Canterbury-at least not with Evan Evans. You can do a half day Stonehenge or full day Stonehenge plus other options. Anyway, this is far too much traveling to and fro for 7 days IMO. You'll be exhausted & it will all be a blur. Do you know the movie "If it's Tuesday it must be Belgium"?
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 04:50 AM
Degas

With all the daytrips, when did you plan on seeing a large, spread out city like London?

You need to prioritize and focus your time and effort. Its hard with three people, but something has to give here.

Don't make the trip only a stressful blur of train rides, packing and unpacking, and taxi rides to and from hotels, train stations and airports.

IMHO, a first timer needs at least four full days in London.

Old Nov 11th, 2003, 04:55 AM

I agree with the others, but let's look at it another way. Since you want to leave London so much to see other things, why are you going to London? What's the point of going to the most expensive city in the world to stay when you're really more interested in visiting other places?
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 05:26 AM

Whew, I've been known to dash around on a vacation to squeeze in as much as possible, but have to agree with the others here. I'd spend most of the week in London. There is so much to see and do. Enjoy London and perhaps do one day trip.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 06:54 AM

I was in London first part of October. I took two day tours while I was there and was happy with value of both. I would book with either company again based on my experience. I slightly preferred Evan Evans -- the coaches seemed a bit nicer but I only had a sample of one tour from each company. I ended up choosing tour company based on what tours were offered on days I wanted to travel. You can book by internet, telephone, or through the concierge at your hotel.

1st tour was Stonehenge and Bath with Evan Evans. Cost was 50GBP per person. Web site is www.evanevans.co.uk.

2nd tour was Leeds Castle, Canterbury, and White Cliffs of Dover with Golden Tours. Cost was 53GBP per person. Web site is www.goldentours.co.uk.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 06:57 AM

And I guess I should have added, I was in London for 8 days. I agree with the other posters that 4 day trips in 7 days is too many, especially if this is your first trip to London. I might do up to 3 in that time since I've been to London before but that would be the max unless you really don't want to see anything in London. Your can easily stay busy in London for more than 7 full days without going anywhere else.
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 07:17 AM

London is a wonderful, interesting city (we are returning there next month) and since it is your first visit and you have only seven days, please take everyone's advice and spend the lion's share of those seven days in London. A day trip would be fine and is a nice contrast to seeing the city. We have taken two day trips on a 10 day trip (we have used Golden Tours and liked them), but we had been to London before and had more time than you do.

Here are a couple of web sites for info on London:

http://www.londontouristboard.com/
http://www.coventgardenlife.com/
(We particularly like the Covent Garden area so included it for you.)
http://www.londontown.com/

If you like theater you should definitely go to a play/musical:

http://www.londontheatre.co.uk/

Have a wonderful trip, but as the others have advised, don't cram in too much as it will ruin your experience.

Old Nov 11th, 2003, 07:30 AM

PLEASE listen to the others. What you are considering is almost impossible. Does the 7 days include your travel time to/from London or do you actually have 7 days in London (making 9 days total)?

Paris is a full day away from London (and expensive but doable). Canterbury is a full day trip east of London (usually combined w/ Leeds Castle and/or Dover). Stonehenge is a full day trip west of London (combined w/ Salisbury and/or Bath). Edinburgh is 4+ hours by train so you have almost 9 hours travel time. Flying would seem faster but you have to travel out to the airposrt and check in early so travel time is almost the same.

And you want to do all this in January when it will be dark by 4PM - even earlier up in Edinburgh.

Stay in London - Enjoy London and take a day trip out to Hampton Court Palace and maybe one to Stonehenge. You will have little time for much else . . . .
Old Nov 11th, 2003, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

I can certainly appreciate everyones advice and to answer most everyones question as to why I would even attempt this, you know what they say about Texas..."Every thing is bigger" which attributes to my dream to do the impossible. We have a full 7 days not including travel. Based on all the input I will try to come up with an itinerary...keeping everything in better perspective.. I still have 2 months..It was a deal I could not pass up to go in January got the best deal on air $100 plus tax each way Non stop flights to boot. I'll continue to do more research using everyones input here and anywhere else i can find it..so feel free to keep the ideas pouring in..and when its all said and done i'll have to let you know how it worked out. I remain hopeful
thanks bunches
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 09:11 AM

Hi
My opinion is that you are trying to see
various parts in England or Great Britain, and that London is not your priority. If true, enjoy all your day trips. I can't see throwing Paris in there at all. You will spend proportionally more money on Paris, based on an hourly rate of expenses, than you will have for all of the rest of your trip, only to have spend perhaps 6 or 7 hours in that city. Ditto Edinburgh.

You mention "defintely" for Stonehenge and Canterbury. Do those two, and leave the other places for another time.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 09:25 AM

Just a suggestion. Spend your time in London and take a day trip to Stonehenge and another day trip to Canterbury. You can take an organized tour or you can do these trips on your own by purchasing "cheap day return" tickets on your day of travel at the train station in London.

If you really like bargains and live in the DFW area, AA still has RT air fares from now until March for $312 plus taxes
from DFW to Paris CDG (non-stop). For $500 each, you can purchase an AA Vacation package that includes round trip airfare, three nights hotel, breakfast, and transfers to and from the airport. Take a separate trip to Paris this spring.

Be sure to enroll in the airline's frequent flyer program; two trips to Europe in one calendar year will generate almost enough miles for a free ticket in the 48 contiguous states, Canada, and Alaska.
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 03:44 PM

Contrary to what mclaurie said, you CAN do Stonehenge by train from London. Take the train to Salisbury (from Waterloo station). It takes about an hour & a half. At the Salisbury train station you hop on the #3 bus that takes you to Stonehenge & back. Or you can hop off the bus before returning to the train station & explore the town of Salisbury & its awesome cathedral - after seeing Stonehenge of course!
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for that info Daisy..I surely appreciate it and will make plans to do just that. If there is any other ideas you have on attractions pass em on...we are really just interested in some of the main attractions in London and don't plan on doing much shopping at all..but any info would be great..