Search

First time to Italy for Honeymoon-help

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time to Italy for Honeymoon-help

Hi

We're planning our first trip to Italy for two weeks at the end of September and I'm feeling very overwhelmed, to say the least!I live in NYC, so really don't want to spend a ton of time in the big cities of Italy-really looking for a more laid-back honeymoon than the standard Venice-Florence-Rome first-timers trip... I also love the coast, and would love to visit some beaches (although I know Italy isn't famed for it's resort beaches,as we are used to) I would really like to see Venice- think I will skip Rome this trip... Any suggestions for other small towns to see? Should I skip northern Italy all together and visit Amalfi Coast and/or Sicily?

Thanks for any recommendations!
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 06:27 AM

Hmmm !
Honeymoon--late Sep.---2 weeks--laid back !!
Fly into Milan and home from Venice--or vice versa. Include 3 or 4 destinations to include Lago Como, the Ligurian coast, Tuscan hill towns and Venice. That is the best of romantic Italy. Buona fortuna !

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 06:47 AM

Good for you for skipping the standard Big 3 "college course" that other travelers seem to think is an "introduction" to Italy -- which needs no introduction. It introduces itself wherever you go.

If you really want to see Venice, focus on staying in Northern Italy. I think the most laid back honeymoon that includes Venice would move from there to Lago di Como for a few nights, then on to Camogli, just south of Genova. All of that is doable by train.

If you would like a sand beach, do some google searches with the words "etruscan coast."

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 07:10 AM

Venice and beaches too? Easy-take a ferry over to the Lido di Venezia where the VIP travelers of the 19th (and modern day ) reveled at lovely beaches complete with cabanas, white jacketed waiters. For roughing it I'd recommend with the poster who mentioned the Maremma, Etruscan coast. You could stay in a lovely historical town such as Orbetello at Relais San Biagio -or in Porto Santo Stefano or Porto Ercole, two lovely yacht harbors.Check out the 10 km beach of La Feniglia where Caravaggio died while escaping the Papal states.
Mary Jane
www.elegantetruria.com
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 12:34 PM

Sorrento - somewhere like Hotel President - lovely views of Vesuvius & the Bay of Naples. V pretty, sunny, loads to see & do....or just lie by the pool.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 02:09 PM

I love the Amalfi Coast and Sorrento, so of course I'm going to recommend that for your honeymoon! Plus, end of September is a perfect time to go.

I'd suggest an open-jaw ticket into Venice and out of Rome. You can fly between Venice and Naples, then get picked up by a private driver or take public transportation to Sorrento and/or one of the beautiful towns ( Positano is my favorite!) on the Amalfi Coast. I'd also recommend a few nights in Capri, which has got to be one of the honeymoon capitals of the world.

You're right not to expect wonderful beaches in that part of Italy, but there are still lovely coves to swim in, as well as swimming off the side of boats. And I haven't even mentioned the fabulous food...!

Anyway, congratulations. When you nail down where you want to go, post again for further hotel and restaurant recommendations. Good luck!

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 02:29 PM
Neopolitan

Weadles, was there a reason you incorporated Rome into that open-jaw flight? Isn't it possible to do Naples-Venice as an open jaw?

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 04:32 PM

Neopolitan,

I suggested Rome because there are no nonstops from Naples to the U.S. If the poster doesn't mind a stopover in another European city on the way home, then yes, Naples would work.