First time Italy tour - Need Advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2019, 10:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, my family and I are travelling to Italy for our first ever trip this week (super excited!!). Since our visas only came last week, we are yet to book tickets for the major attractions and train tickets for travel between various cities. I have a few questions which I need some advice on.

1- I am trying to book tickets for the Colosseum self-guided tour for the 5th October but they seem to be all sold out since all time slots show 'Not Available' on the official website. I read somewhere that they keep on opening new slots. Does anyone know if there is still a chance to get tickets for the 5th October?

2- Just like the Colosseum, tickets for the self-guided Vatican Museums tour seem to be sold out for the 7th October, however I can see that they are available slots for the Guided Tour. Is the guided tour recommended? I am travelling with my parents so was hoping to buy self guided tickets so that we can roam around at our own pace but I guess I am left with no other choice.

3- We will be visiting Cinque Terre (Riomaggiore) after Rome. While looking up train tickets from Rome Termini to Riomaggiore, I noticed we have to change trains at La Spezia Centrale but the transfer time is only 10 minutes. Is this enough time to switch trains with elderly parents? Is it possible to buy tickets from Rome Termini to La Sepzia Centrale only and then but tickets for Riomaggiore from the train station after we get off at La Spezia?

Looking forward to your suggestions.
Old Sep 30th, 2019, 07:01 AM

As to the Vatican, you will get different opinions on guided versus self-guided, and it really is based on personal preference. We did a guided tour to the Vatican, because we don't know a lot about art and especially religious art, so we wanted to get the most out of our time there, and we really enjoyed it. We certainly could have roamed around on our own, but we personally got more out of hearing the explanations/stories, etc. so we knew what we were looking at.

As for CT, we just got back from there. Changing trains is easy and 10 minutes is typically plenty of time to change. It of course depends on whether the first train is on time. While the trains are generally on schedule or within a minute or two, they do have issues sometimes and are late on occasion, so you really never know. If there is any concern, you of course could wait to buy tickets for the second leg once you arrive in La Spezia, and can do so on the ticket machines. If you arrive on time and want to make the next train, you may miss that train while waiting to buy tickets, so you have to consider that. Also, depends on whether you will visit other CT towns. If so, the CT card might make sense, it gives you unlimited use of the CT train between the 5 towns for the day. Each of those trains I believe is 4 Euro, so if you plan to visit each town and take several trains, the card might make sense. We did this, but also because we were doing one of the hikes between towns and the card also gives access to the trails, which you won't be using. The card is 16 Euro. Again, only makes sense if you plan to go back and forth between the CT towns.
Old Sep 30th, 2019, 07:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
#3. There are 2-3 trains per hour from La Spezia to Riomaggiore. The longest gap between departures is only 30 minutes. You don't need to "run" to catch a train. Just wait for the next one.

Quick train connections are the best argument for traveling with limited luggage... no more than one standard suitcase plus one small suitcase per person. Even better with fewer/less. Unless your elderly parents have mobility issues or can't handle their own luggage, I wouldn't worry about the connection at all.
Old Sep 30th, 2019, 04:24 PM

We engaged a private tour guide for 2 of our days in Rome. I wish we could have spent a week with her! It was money VERY well spent.

Haven't been to Cinque Terre. There are so many other beautiful places that are so much easier to get to. I've just never been able
to justify the extra time needed to get there. I'm sure there are others who will disagree. But I'd go back to the Val D'Orcia before going
to CT.